Breed Suggestions Please?

Cougar

Hi all,

So I have a family member who's looking to buy a dog soonish. Mum and 2 teenage kids, kids have never had a dog before - mum has but quite a long time ago. Forgive me for the vagueness of some of their criteria, I'm still looking to clarify their preferences in some areas - like coat type!

They would like:

a young puppy,

smallish but not too small,

not prone to lots of yapping/barking,

playful, friendly,

a good looking one (am trying to figure out what they think is good looking!!),

they're quite active so dog will be walked often and played with,

family members are at work and school - so will be alone 6-7 hrs, 5 days a week.

The internet breed quizzes they are doing are only suggesting oodle types, I'm trying desperately to convince them not to go that way , they are quite receptive to my information so far. I've suggested rescue as well, so am keeping my eyes peeled for the right pup - just in case :)

I'm running a bit of a blank, as I know more about the big breeds - so please, any suggestions??

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 'think' short might be better for them myself, but I don't think they know. The daughter seems quite keen on fluffy pet shop puppies, I have explained the varying coat types and maintenance for them eg regular clipping etc

I 'think' short might be better for them myself, but I don't think they know. The daughter seems quite keen on fluffy pet shop puppies, I have explained the varying coat types and maintenance for them eg regular clipping etc

If it's an inside dog and they are up for grooming costs, then the original oodle would be a good choice. I'd go for a Miniature Poodle.

They probably wouldn't pay much for one from a decent breeder than they would for a pet shop oodle. And the pups are cute as!!

Or even a whippet?

Was holding out on the "inside v outside" result before suggesting it but if the daughter likes cute flarfies, she may not go for a stick insect puppy.

I think they're gorgeous though. :)

Edited by Telida Whippets

Or even a whippet?

Was holding out on the "inside v outside" result before suggesting it but if the daughter likes cute flarfies, she may not go for a stick insect puppy.

I think they're gorgeous though. :)

I never really liked whippets untill I came across a breeder who had the most amazing looking whippets I had ever seen her whippets certainly changed my view on the breed.

I think get them to go thought all the breeds on DOL hahah thats what I did. :D so many purebreeds they they probably dont even know about that fit exactly what they are looking for

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Mum isn't keen on Cavs, we have talked about them. I was considering suggesting a poodle, due to the 'oodle' factor (oh and by the way Telida whippets - I'm glad you're still around, I was missing Poodlefan's remarkably sensible contributions around here :D )

I will pass on the suggestions, thanks. I had wondered about a corgi too - I just don't know much about them!

Those were similar to my 'desires' and we ended up with a Welsh Spring Spaniel :)

Ditto.......but we ended up with a English Springer Spaniel (field/working lines) bit smaller than the show ones our girl is about knee high and 15-16kgs. Will run all day, hardly ever barks (only at the cats that venture up the side driveway) medium length coat so some grooming involved.

Just my own opinion. But if a dog is going to be alone during the working/school day, we've always had 2. Dogs are social animals & like company. However, lots of people have had 1 dog in those circumstances and all's been fine.

I think the Cardigan Corgi makes a great family dog. Bit more laid back & very adaptable. We had one growing up as kids.

schipperke! Perhaps I'm biased. My boy doesn't bark much at all, easy grooming, small but tough as nails, and easy for a play with the ball or a 2km hike. Awesome little dogs, however not sure how they'd be alone as my boy has 2 other dogs to play with during the day, but I'm sure they'd be fine :)

Right, am back with more info! Will be an inside/outside dog, would prefer a shorter coat and not too curly (there goes the poodle!). Jack russells and chis are too small - they're thinking that a good size is cav or beagle size. Not considering either of those 2 breeds, one is too sedate and the other a bit trickier to own :laugh:

Nothing too big headed or flat faced, and the whippets are too skinny. Does that help? :rofl:

I'm leaning towards a mixed breed rescue pup if I'm honest, and if we can find a suitable one. Will happily take more suggestions though! Thanks heaps for your ideas so far, much appreciated.