Animal Pics From Our Holiday

wuffles

We just returned from a trip to the Nordic countries and I thought I'd share some of the dog and other animal pics I took while we were over there :) The ones of dogs are quite candid and not great quality but hopefully you enjoy them anyway. The dogs we saw were allowed in a lot of places and were all well behaved. Everyone just ignored them!

This was in Helsinki... a Finnish Lapphund perhaps? He sniffed the snow and got a gobful. Then created some yellow snow.

P1010142.jpg

Two cavs being taken for a walk in Helsinki.

P1010181.jpg

Dog park in central Helsinki... not being used at the time!

P1010182.jpg

Two border terriers that came across on the ferry with us to one of the islands.

P1010206.jpg

I think this was a Shiba we saw somewhere in the middle of Finland :p

P1010482.jpg

This guy was on our ship (Hurtigruten) for a few nights!

P1010717.jpg

Iggie in Oslo... didn't seem to mind the cold until she asked him to sit, which he objected to :)

P1020218.jpg

Super well behaved Bernese Mountain Dog, heeling off leash at the Opera House in Oslo.

P1020305.jpg

Cute wire haired dachshund (these seem very popular) in an optometrist!

P1020429.jpg

We went to a husky farm in Rovaniemi, Finland. The owner competes in races. The dogs were hilarious, they hated standing still and just wanted to run their little hearts out. They were pretty noisy when we stopped :laugh:

These are the dogs we had pulling our sled, they are Alaskan Huskies.

P1010362.jpg

P1010367.jpg

P1010389.jpg

P1010392.jpg

Edited by wuffles

Last lot.

This is their one and only Samoyed:

P1010393.jpg

Baby puppy :love:

P1010398.jpg

These young guys were desperate for attention:

P1010402.jpg

Such a cute face:

P1010409.jpg

Just chillin'

P1010411.jpg

This guy stood up, stretched, then woo wooed at us when we came close :)

P1010415.jpg

The kennels

P1010416.jpg

Wow what a holiday, looks beautiful there.

I've never seen snow in real life, so it would have been amazing to see.

Why are those doggies all in cages? :(

They are so beautiful, i love the raindeer farm you went to, one albino looking one? hahah cute!

What kind of puppy was that? :o

What a great thread.

Wow what a holiday, looks beautiful there.

I've never seen snow in real life, so it would have been amazing to see.

They are so beautiful, i love the raindeer farm you went to, one albino looking one? hahah cute!

What kind of puppy was that? :o

What a great thread.

The snow was amazing, there was a cold snap in Finland so there was more than usual. It was soft, powdery and dry. Amazing!

The dogs at the husky farm have individual runs (except some of the younger dogs who share a larger one). The runs even have each dog's name inscribed on the outside, and the owner and staff can identify each one by name immediately. The dogs were all extremely happy and they are kept in good condition as they do long distance races!

The puppy is an Alaskan Husky pup :)

The reindeer come in many different colours, white is one of them but they are not albino.

thanks for posting these. Wow, you're brave going North in Winter, do you have rellies there?

Did you see any mongrel dogs or are they all purebreds?

I like those Alaskan huskies, some could almost pass for Kelpie crosses by their looks, well I could imagine it anyway, their body shape, much longer and leaner that the huskies I've seen over here.

Edited by Kirislin

thanks for posting these. Wow, you're brave going North in Winter, do you have rellies there?

I like those Alaskan huskies, some could almost pass for Kelpie crosses by their looks, well I could imagine it anyway, their body shape, much longer and leaner that the huskies I've seen over here.

Nope, no rellies over there, just wanted to do something completely different! We managed to arrive in the middle of a cold snap in Helsinki so it was -25 degrees. A bit of a shock to the system, but then when we got to 0 degree temps in Norway we felt positively warm!!!

I loved the Alaskan Huskies, they have to breed them quite selectively to get the fastest dogs but also to keep a little bit of coat and bulk for the weather. You can probably see in the pics they don't actually have much coat at all! They have a few Malamutes and Sibes that I believe they cross in now and then.

And they are FAST!!!

Thanks for sharing that :) So much snow! :) I like their dog run setup ... guess the snow insulates their kennels, and with straw as bedding, they'd be quite comfortable :)

:) Yes, none of the dogs showed any signs of being cold at all. The ones that didn't get to come out for the day's run were a bit upset though :laugh:

Nope, no rellies over there, just wanted to do something completely different! We managed to arrive in the middle of a cold snap in Helsinki so it was -25 degrees. A bit of a shock to the system, but then when we got to 0 degree temps in Norway we felt positively warm!!!

I loved the Alaskan Huskies, they have to breed them quite selectively to get the fastest dogs but also to keep a little bit of coat and bulk for the weather. You can probably see in the pics they don't actually have much coat at all! They have a few Malamutes and Sibes that I believe they cross in now and then.

And they are FAST!!!

Yes, I think this is why they look Keplie-ish to me.

Well, you certainly got a different holiday. good on you for being adventurous. :thumbsup:

:) They are working sled dogs . If they were all kept indoors in heated rooms ...when it came time for them to work in the snow they would not be at all comfortable ..

Living in the current weather conditions means they are used to coping.

They also need to be confined safely ..and individual pens mean no worry of fights , and also no worry of dogs roaming and getting into trouble.Also if one dog is injured/ill it can rest without being harassed.

Edited by persephone

thanks for posting Wuffles!

Wow! It looks so amazing! You must have had a really wonderful time :) I just can't fathom that amount of snow!

It's always fascinating seeing dogs from other countries. The Alaskan Huskies look so athletic and reminded me of Kelpies too.

thanks for posting Wuffles!

Wow! It looks so amazing! You must have had a really wonderful time :) I just can't fathom that amount of snow!

It's always fascinating seeing dogs from other countries. The Alaskan Huskies look so athletic and reminded me of Kelpies too.

:thumbsup: glad I'm not the only one who sees it.