Officer Shoots Dog.

Blackdogs

After experiencing the puppy I was looking after (and who I had really bonded with!) at the time being almost mauled by a bull breed, I sure as hell wouldn't hesitate to shoot the thing. If, in some crazy weird scenario, I had a gun or a cop with me at the time, and I had seen the dog running towards her, I would shoot the dog straight up. I don't care if I miss its head and do it inhumanely...I want to keep my dogs alive. If it weren't for my pitbull mix attacking the bull breed, while it was attacking the puppy at the time, I can't even imagine what could've happened.

I didn't watch the video so I shouldn't really be commenting on this, but just reading through every single post, I just don't understand how the police officer is in the wrong :shrug:

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was the beagle's owner and my dog landed up being attacked while an officer "rang someone else to deal with the dogs" I'd be ropeable.

Police struggle to keep up with crime, now they need to be experts on canine behavior too?

I agree - I to would be livid if that was my dog being attacked by roaming dogs and I had to wait around for "the right people" to arrived.

I think it's unfair to expect police to be experts in canine behavior - they are overstretched already as it is.

I would have preferred that the dog was dispatched of more quickly but it's not a perfect world.

In the end it comes down to the meancing dogs' owner not being responsible and keeping their dogs contained and if people want to blame someone they should be pointing their fingers at them, not the Police who were just doing their job.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

There are rotties up the road from me and in the whole 8 months I have lived in my house I have seen them off the chain once. I personally don't think those dogs have a very good quality of life.

How can you judge there quality of life as you don't know them. Are you watching them 24/7 too be able to make a call on there quality of life or do you just happen to see them on a chain as you go past? There are reasons why some people use chains on there dogs.

Edited by Ben and Jerry

There are rotties up the road from me and in the whole 8 months I have lived in my house I have seen them off the chain once. I personally don't think those dogs have a very good quality of life.

How can you judge there quality of life as you don't know them. Are you watching them 24/7 too be able to make a call on there quality of life or do you just happen to see them on a chain as you go past? There are reasons why some people use chains on there dogs.

I can and will judge because the way I see it there are other ways to confine an animal. The fact that I can walk up/drive past there at any time of the day on any day of the week and that dog is on the chain with the front gates wide open shows me that it doesn't get to hop off much. It does have a sling bed next to the pole it is chained too though... so at least it doesn't have to sleep on the ground.

I personally have never felt worse than I did for the 4 days I had to keep Bella on a chain/run. To me, that is a shit life. Since everyone likes to use the human analogy... how would you like to be kept on a chain? lol I know I wouldn't.

We are now heading firmly into an off topic area but there are entire states of the USA where it is illegal to keep a dog on a chain. The reasons are many but welfare issues dominate them.

The vulnerability of chained dogs to harm is one of the biggest reasons.

There are alternatives to fixed chains that are better for the dog.

We are now heading firmly into an off topic area but there are entire states of the USA where it is illegal to keep a dog on a chain. The reasons are many but welfare issues dominate them.

:thumbsup: Lol at least we can agree on something :D

Aren't dogs that are constantly tethered more likely to show aggression issues as well?

If you are so worried about there "quality of life" perhaps you should contact proper authourities and let them determine the situation. Maybe there front gate is broken, maybe the dogs are escapees, perhaps they don't have the money to afford better fencing or too build a dog run, as I said they may have there reasons and just because you disagree with them, doesn't mean it's the wrong way of doing something.

So true B&J - I used to have my dog in a yard which used to be a chook pen - so it was huge, with a nice kennel and a couple of trees for shade (just while I was at work) and he still managed to get out. confused.gif ended up having to tie him up so he didn't go walkabout during the day.

Although he is MUCH happier now that I don't work full time biggrin.gif

Aren't dogs that are constantly tethered more likely to show aggression issues as well?

Yep. Chained dogs are significantly over represented in serious dog attacks. On several occasions they have killed people trying to disentangle them. Bit of a no brainer really - remove a dog's capacity for flight and when threatened, most will fight.

I don't think there's a person here who isn't passionate about dogs (or at least their dogs). Sometimes in between the disagreements we have, we need to reflect on that I reckon. :)

Yep. Chained dogs are significantly over represented in serious dog attacks. On several occasions they have killed people trying to disentangle them. Bit of a no brainer really - remove a dog's capacity for flight and when threatened, most will fight.

I don't think there's a person here who isn't passionate about dogs (or at least their dogs). Sometimes in between the disagreements we have, we need to reflect on that I reckon. :)

Yeah well we are all here for one thing at the end of the day! :) And life would be a bit boring if we all agreed on everything all the time as well. Gives everyone a chance to learn, look at things from a different perspective etc! lol

But I have to say there are usually a whole ton of things you could do before shooting a dog in most situations. People are too ready to dispatch dogs.

Can you give some examples?

Bear in mind that "do nothing" probably wasn't an option here.

I find the Beagle's terrified screaming really distressing. :( More than one dog suffered here.

If there's anger to be directed at a person here, save it for the owner of the dogs that put them in this situation. The police are those called in to act when irresponsible people don't.. and yet they are the ones being judged here. Go figure.

This footage is recent ie not filmed over 10 years ago... the officer would have pepper spray, a batten and other weapons besides a Gun.... when an officer is faced with a threat the very last option unless in strong belief the situation is endangering their life beyond doubt and any other by-standers then they are permitted to shoot... I did not see any other attempt to solve this problem and I hope that officer looses all rights in relation to restoring justice - And may i say before someone decided to start poking the dog with a shovel it was in quite a playful mood..... both of them... so throwing a ball or food of some sort in the other direction probably would not have been a bad idea.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

If you are so worried about there "quality of life" perhaps you should contact proper authourities and let them determine the situation. Maybe there front gate is broken, maybe the dogs are escapees, perhaps they don't have the money to afford better fencing or too build a dog run, as I said they may have there reasons and just because you disagree with them, doesn't mean it's the wrong way of doing something.

I've been contemplating making a complaint for a while actually. I've seen the gate shut before so that works, if they don't have money they should probably sell one of their 3 cars and I am sure they could afford it then. To me, it is the wrong way - I don't like doing it and I don't like seeing other animals being made live like it either.

We are now heading firmly into an off topic area

I was just trying to make a point about someone judging others for something they did without knowing the whole story. Much like the police officer in the video.

It is human nature to judge. I am sure you have never gone a day in your life with out judging someone/something. I am sure you are judging me right now - yet you don't know me or my whole story.

This footage is recent ie not filmed over 10 years ago... the officer would have pepper spray, a batten and other weapons besides a Gun.... when an officer is faced with a threat the very last option unless in strong belief the situation is endangering their life beyond doubt and any other by-standers then they are permitted to shoot... I did not see any other attempt to solve this problem and I hope that officer looses all rights in relation to restoring justice - And may i say before someone decided to start poking the dog with a shovel it was in quite a playful mood..... both of them... so throwing a ball or food of some sort in the other direction probably would not have been a bad idea.

Are you serious (re bolded bit)? I think it'd be terrible to lose a Police Officer who is capable to fufill their duties because they reacted in a way to ONE situation that some animal radicals do not approve of - when the blame lies SOLELY at the roaming dogs' owners feet. Another option if you want them fired is to make the owner of the two dogs to pay the full costs to train a new officer to take the dismissed officers place! That might encourage them to keep their dogs contained.

I simply cannot comprehend how people can blame the Beagle or it's owner???? So what if the dog was chained - even if just for 10 minutes - bottom line is those two dogs should not have been roaming. If a stray dog came into our property and started to menace our fowl I would have no quarms in shooting it if the ACO's didn't arrive in time.

Are you serious (re bolded bit)? I think it'd be terrible to lose a Police Officer who is capable to fufill their duties because they reacted in a way to ONE situation that some animal radicals do not approve of - when the blame lies SOLELY at the roaming dogs' owners feet. Another option if you want them fired is to make the owner of the two dogs to pay the full costs to train a new officer to take the dismissed officers place! That might encourage them to keep their dogs contained.

I simply cannot comprehend how people can blame the Beagle or it's owner???? So what if the dog was chained - even if just for 10 minutes - bottom line is those two dogs should not have been roaming. If a stray dog came into our property and started to menace our fowl I would have no quarms in shooting it if the ACO's didn't arrive in time.

Lol did you hear what he said? he hardly sounded regretfull of his decision.... he even looked at the dog and didnt shoot it once but 3-4 times!!! common, the dog had not bitten any one yet... they were just over it barking.. if they can tackle people at knife point why can 3 men not takle a dog?

Bottom line is, the dogs are at fault, for how much the viewers don't know. The cop has an immediate duty of care to the people and animals that are in fear of those dogs, whether we in our safe houses watching think they are right or wrong to fear.

Good on him. I would have done the same, whatever it took to stop those dogs escaping and continuing that behaviour.

An aggressive dog with a face full of OC spray, running loose around a neighbourhood is not an option. Neither is those dogs running off around the neighbourhood while said cop stands back to wait for some other more pleasant approach. That is not his duty. He did his duty.

Bottom line is, the dogs are at fault, for how much the viewers don't know. The cop has an immediate duty of care to the people and animals that are in fear of those dogs, whether we in our safe houses watching think they are right or wrong to fear.

Good on him. I would have done the same, whatever it took to stop those dogs escaping and continuing that behaviour.

An aggressive dog with a face full of OC spray, running loose around a neighbourhood is not an option. Neither is those dogs running off around the neighbourhood while said cop stands back to wait for some other more pleasant approach. That is not his duty. He did his duty.

:thumbsup: I am so over cops being the bad ones in todays society. I appreciate them for all they are worth, they are keeping us all safe after all :)

There are too many replies for me to reply individually, so I'll just reply generally. I don't think that anyone here is blaming the Beagle but rather the hasty and uneducated actions of the officer.

We can add hypotheticals to the situation endlessly but what happened is what happened. If the Beagle 'retaliated' we'd be in a different situation and then that would have to be evaluated, but the Beagle didn't 'retaliate' and the dogs didn't attack and I think the situation should be evaluated on face value because that's all we have to work with.

Some people have tried to make the suggestions sound ridiculous, which is easy to do in any situation. Eg; 'OMG there's strays in our yard let's get someone to KILL them!!'.

I think it's better to be rational about these things though and think of alternative solutions to loss of life rather than engage in petty back and forth banter.

Sometimes dogs get loose. It happens. I believe there should be protocols in place that don't involve killing and I think that's reasonable, whether poeple disagree or not.

Edited by Blackdogs