Annual Heartworm Injection

minimax

My first BC died a horrible death from immune-mediated thrombocytopaenia (sp?). He haemorrhaged massively from within. He developed this condition after being given the annual heart worm injection. Never again will I give it to any of my dogs.

I think the easy thing to forget is that the annual heart worm injection isn't like a vaccine with a killed off virus in it. It's 12 months worth of what is really a very nasty chemical. That is a lot of pretty potent stuff being injected into your dog's system all at once.

I would rather have to give a dog a heart worm tablet every month than have a dead, or very sick dog.

There's no way in God's green earth I'd give it to any collie breed for a start. :(

Not all collie breeds suffer from MDR1 deficiency. Last time I asked GTG about it in borders they said they had never had a confirmed affected or carrier but I should test anyway. The one documented case in BCs when I was researching was a shelter dog so may not have even been a BC. This may have change in the last year or so.

I do know the yearly heart worm injection almost killed my dog. ETA it was not MDR1 deficiency but a severe allergic reaction.

Edited by Janba

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else for owners to consider, if you do inject your dog, once you put that chemical in, there's no getting it back out. You are going to have to ride out any adverse reactions.

If you are going to use a heartworm preventative, at least the monthly chews/tablets only remain in the system for a short amount of time. They kill off the potential heartworm at a certain stage in the lifecycle for a few days each month.

My guys love their HeartGuard chewies. My vet says you can skip every other month and still break the life cycle of the parasite. With this strategy, oral is cheaper than the injection. The only snag is you must buy from a reputable source. Apparently there are some counterfeit meds showing up online.

I never realised that there was any controversy over this before coming here. I've had my vet give my old girl the injection for years and years (so long, I can barely remember giving her the chew) and we have been lucky enough not to have any reaction. There are lots of mossies here in Brisbane, and I can be forgetful so the yearly dose seemed like a great idea at the time.

I'm not sure if I'll have my puppy dosed with this or not...the vet is keen to give it to him as soon as he is old enough.

Guest lavendergirl

I never realised that there was any controversy over this before coming here. I've had my vet give my old girl the injection for years and years (so long, I can barely remember giving her the chew) and we have been lucky enough not to have any reaction. There are lots of mossies here in Brisbane, and I can be forgetful so the yearly dose seemed like a great idea at the time.

I'm not sure if I'll have my puppy dosed with this or not...the vet is keen to give it to him as soon as he is old enough.

I am interested in what reasons the vet gives for being so keen? What is the real advantage to this yearly injection besides convenience?

My first BC died a horrible death from immune-mediated thrombocytopaenia (sp?). He haemorrhaged massively from within. He developed this condition after being given the annual heart worm injection. Never again will I give it to any of my dogs.

Oh I had no idea that anything as tragic as this could happen after being given the heartworm

Injection. I am going to read up more on the pro's

& cons of this & go from there. Didn't know it wasn't a vax. for a start.

So sorry to you for your loss. Especially when you were just trying to protect your dog. Very sad.

I think the easy thing to forget is that the annual heart worm injection isn't like a vaccine with a killed off virus in it. It's 12 months worth of what is really a very nasty chemical. That is a lot of pretty potent stuff being injected into your dog's system all at once.

I would rather have to give a dog a heart worm tablet every month than have a dead, or very sick dog.

I am interested in what reasons the vet gives for being so keen? What is the real advantage to this yearly injection besides convenience?

Convenience and the lack of compliance by a large percentage of their clients.

Something given monthly seems really easy (you would think) but its also easy to forget to buy it then forget again and before you know it the clients back and the dog has been off heart worm prevention for 12mths and they have to do testing before you can re begin treatment which said client might not have the money for.

Prevention is better than cure would be what most vets are thinking!

You have to remember that you can have a sick dog with heart worm too- so for the less dedicated/compliant clients the 12mth injection is the safer option, in the eyes of a veterinarian.

Edited by Jumabaar

Mine was keen also but I think it was more convenience and maybe if it is more expensive they get more in the end.. Although mine said it was a cheaper option.. Who knows I am disappointed in the 2 vets I have been to thus far.. I didn't think finding a vet I trust and doesn't come across wanting me to keep putting my hand in my pocket would be so hard... I feel like I have to have a degree and worldly product knowledge of everything vet related. lol..

Guest lavendergirl

Mine was keen also but I think it was more convenience and maybe if it is more expensive they get more in the end.. Although mine said it was a cheaper option.. Who knows I am disappointed in the 2 vets I have been to thus far.. I didn't think finding a vet I trust and doesn't come across wanting me to keep putting my hand in my pocket would be so hard... I feel like I have to have a degree and worldly product knowledge of everything vet related. lol..

Yep - I haven't found one I am totally happy with either. For instance I would like to be given some ideas about why he may be having skin problems instead of just treating with an injection which in hindsight I don't think was warranted. As for the annual heartworm injection I find it hard to understand why people can't just get a cheap calendar and keep it on their kitchen bench - it only takes a couple of minutes to mark the same day each month with the necessary treatments. Maybe people don't have calendars and diaries any more :confused:

Yep - I haven't found one I am totally happy with either. For instance I would like to be given some ideas about why he may be having skin problems instead of just treating with an injection which in hindsight I don't think was warranted. As for the annual heartworm injection I find it hard to understand why people can't just get a cheap calendar and keep it on their kitchen bench - it only takes a couple of minutes to mark the same day each month with the necessary treatments. Maybe people don't have calendars and diaries any more :confused:

On the other hand - I don't know anyone that doesn't use a mobile phone, and all mobile phones have reminders/calendars! There really shouldn't be an excuse for forgetting a routine tablet, it takes 2 seconds and is easy as (well, it is for me as my pup thinks all medications are just another yummy treat).

Why have a calendar and have to give monthly treatments when you can get it cheaper in an annnual dose? My vet didn't push me to get the injection for my dog, I asked her about it, and she didn't mention any potential side effects, nor see any problem administering it, other than suggesting she gets tested for heartworm first. For me another reason to do it, other than me forgetting a lot of the monthly doses, is that my dog doesn't happy swallow the tablets. She doesn't like them and will spit it out if mixed with food, so that means forcing them down her throat every month.

I don't see why you'd give a monthly dose when you can give an annual dose? There is the potential for side effects with any treatment, but a few horror stories doesn't mean that the potential for harm is greater than the good effects (no missed doses, fewer dogs with heartworm).

If they were that dangerous, the vets would refuse to give the injection, or at the very least warn people of how dangerous they are.

Edited by fuzzy82

Why have a calendar and have to give monthly treatments when you can get it cheaper in an annnual dose? .

Because I rate my dog's health above convenience and a lower cost to my wallet. :shrug: I don't get my dogs vaccinated annually either.

As for surburban vets being the be all and end all of health advice on your dog? Until very recently, many of them were adamant that annual vaccinations were the only way to go when titreing and longer periods between vaccinations had been published in veterinary journals and practiced by some vets for years.

When a leading holistic vet, when asked about heartworm jabs ( I refuse to call them vaccinations when they aren't) simply said "don't" - that was an indicator to me that further homework was required. I've done it and have decided that a monthly tablet carries less risk, especially as mosquitos are not a problem 12 months of the year.

Edited by Telida Whippets

It worries me that people put so much trust in vets (and human doctors too for that matter) and take their word for things without doing any research. I'd never take a medication without first looking into it myself, and same for my pup.

I mean, just look at the food most vets recommend you feed your dog - how could you trust the word of someone who recommends you feed your dog foods loaded with chemicals used in nail polish remover, paint, and fertaliser?

Why have a calendar and have to give monthly treatments when you can get it cheaper in an annnual dose? .

Because I rate my dog's health above convenience and a lower cost to my wallet. :shrug: I don't get my dogs vaccinated annually either.

As for surburban vets being the be all and end all of health advice on your dog? Until very recently, many of them were adamant that annual vaccinations were the only way to go when titreing and longer periods between vaccinations had been published in veterinary journals and practiced by some vets for years.

When a leading holistic vet, when asked about heartworm jabs ( I refuse to call them vaccinations when they aren't) simply said "don't" - that was an indicator to me that further homework was required. I've done it and have decided that a monthly tablet carries less risk, especially as mosquitos are not a problem 12 months of the year.

But, as I mentioned, if the health risks were as overwhelming as people claim in here, vets would refuse to give the injection. Clearly they don't benefit from killing people's dogs.

Also, my vet is young, and she doesn't recommend annual vaccinations.

Edited by fuzzy82

But, as I mentioned, if the health risks were as overwhelming as people claim in here, vets would refuse to give the injection. Clearly they don't benefit from killing people's dogs.

The health risks of obesity are overwhelming to dogs. How many vets will tell a dog owner that their dog is too fat. I'll tell you it ain't many.

You know what I think? I think a lot of vets would be advocating the injection because they weigh the risks of no coverage of heartworm against the risk of the jab and decide in favour of the jab. And if they assess a pet dog owner as being unlikely to ensure that their dogs get heartworm protection by any other means, then I agree with them.

But for a dedicated dog owner who's prepared to avoid the injection and use a LOWER RISK option - why wouldn't you??

Edited by Telida Whippets

The health risks of obesity are overwhelming to dogs. How many vets will tell a dog owner that their dog is too fat. I'll tell you it ain't many.

You know what I think? I think a lot of vets would be advocating the injection because they weigh the risks of no coverage of heartworm against the risk of the jab and decide in favour of the jab. And if they assess a pet dog owner as being unlikely to ensure that their dogs get heartworm protection by any other means, then I agree with them.

But for a dedicated dog owner who's prepared to avoid the injection and use a LOWER RISK option - why wouldn't you??

I completely agree with TW!

I also think vets are so used to treating to the lowest common denominator that unless you walk in with "dedicated dog owner" tattooed on your forehead a vet will recommend the 12mth injection.

I agree but I think it's pointless to argue the point here on DOL. I would still rather place faith in our vet, whom I like and respect and treats my dogs well than any faceless Internet Person/report. By DOL standards, (and not just about the heartworm injection issue) I am clearly a bad, lazy, thoughtless, lowest denominator uncaring owner but then I suspect every single DOLer and his/her dog would be judged and found wanting in some aspect by other DOLers ... There is no perfect dog or dog owner. :shrug:

Regarding this particular issue, though, I think that people are just going to have to agree to do disagree and make their own decisions about their dogs - it's good that there are different options out there that are suited for different people.

Edited by koalathebear

I am clearly a bad, lazy, thoughtless, lowest denominator uncaring owner but then I suspect every single DOLer and his/her dog would be judged and found wanting in some aspect by other DOLers ... There is no perfect dog or dog owner. :shrug:

Agreed. And some of us are less perfect than others ;)

Thanks for posting that thread enjoyable read :thumbsup:

As for dogs not wanting the monthly tablet my dogs love their interceptor its like a treat for them they sit there wanting more :laugh: They don't like having to swallow tablets though is a mission making them swallow antibiotics.