Howling At Sirens

Panto has howled once or twice to a siren, but without fail will howl at a Mr Whippy van! In the same mournful, thoughtful manner... perhaps she knows she will never get some Mr Whippy ;)

A friend's pound dog (irish setter x?) sings along / howls to Michael Jackson's Beat it... so funny.

That so needs to be filmed... I foresee Australia's Funniest Home Video's in that dog's future :)

Oh, and you should get Panto some Mr Whippy. She'll love it :D

I'll have to get them to do that, it's been a couple years. This thread reminded me of his antics... what a boofer.

hehe yes maybe once I will get a mr whippy and she can have a lick or two.

BJ that is hilarious about the basset howling at the russian talking! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Koalathebear, I have only ever heard one dog howl at sirens and it is my kelpie. Its so loud and clear and very wolf like. she was in the car and were driving down Collins street in Melbourne City in peak hour and at a major intersection where there was loads of traffic and thousands of people making their way to their offices. My kelpie heard a siren and howled out the window so loud everyone stopped and looked and I got a fright she did so suddenly and so loudly (and usual she is out the back yard when she does it).

I have often wondered why she does it.

My parents GSD (not a dog I lived with) used to start howling and you'd wonder what was wrong, and a few seconds later a Police, Fire or Ambulance would go past the house.

Neither of the GSD's I have had reacted to sirens on vehicles but our current boy starts to whine softly just as the CFA siren comes on.

When we had about 10 Siberian Huskies, the local ambulance drivers (who were friends of my family) would turn the siren on at one fence post and would drive really slow past out place and turn the siren off at the other end of our block then they would stop and listen to the sounds they created. When we asked them why they did it they said because they liked the sound of the Husky chorus

I live out of town, so we don't hear sirens much, if ever. but I used to play the clarinet and Rocky would always 'accompany' me! Never could figure out if he loved it or hated it.

puff the magic dragon was his favourite.

*have to try it with Reggie, he's got a pretty good howl on him!

BJ that is hilarious about the basset howling at the russian talking! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What is really embarrassing is they have a Belgian Shepherd who is so well behaved you wouldn't even know he was there. Mine can be pretty good when they want to be but I often feel I should send them next door for lessons.,

We have just moved and the neighbours dog howls at sirens, l havn't seen the dog yet but it is a really quiet howl sounds like the poor thing is in pain. l've never heard anything like it. My dogs just look at the fence wondering whats going on.