Ideas To Make Sally Eat Her New Black Hawk

Well, after much research on here about what tasty dry food to get (after the vet said she needs more dry instead of raw), I got my first bag of Black Hawk Holistic.

$95 later and she won't touch it. I mixed some raw mince through and she spat out the bits of dry food!! :banghead:

Does anyone have suggestions here on how to get her to eat it?

She has oats for brekky with a bit of egg/milk mixture.

she is 2 1/2, was scooting a bit and the vet did her anal glands (only had them once done which vet said was good but more "bulk" and dry food needed)

Thanks

P.S she was still doing a little scoot after doing a pooo after they were done.

Shes a 23 kg Kelpie.

Walks everyday.

Healthy otherwise

Edited by sallyandtex

If she is used to a raw diet then it will take time for her to recognise kibble as food. You can add things like a little yoghurt, sardines, raw egg. The other option is to stop feeding raw for the moment and just give her kibble. Give her 20 mins or so to eat and if she doesn't then take it away and don't offer any other food until dinner time and repeat. It may take a few days but she will get hungry enough to eat it. Dogs can go 3 days without eating so try not to give in and give her treats or titbits as she will realise if I hold out long enough I can get icecream (treats) instead of boring old kibble.

I've got an rescue here who was emaciated and it has taken me nearly a month to get him to eat kibble on its own. He was only ever fed the occasional table scrap so food had to be cooked, cooled and he'd only eat the tiniest bit.

eta lots of dogs live quite well on a raw diet so hopefully someone with experience in feeding raw will be able to give you pointers on how to get the balance right. From what I understand a well balanced raw diet is actually better for the dogs so you shouldn't need kibble.

Edited by Ams

I don't agree that adding dry is better than completely raw for anal glands, however if you want her to eat the Dry food then you will just have to ride it out with her, as Ams says be tough with her.

What was her normal evening meal prior to introducing dry?

My dog has leaky anal glands and I didn't find Black Hawk helped with that. He is on Vet's All Natural with chicken mince for breakfast and Earthborn Holistic Ocean Fusion for dinner and he has not leaked once since being on this diet.

Well, after much research on here about what tasty dry food to get (after the vet said she needs more dry instead of raw), I got my first bag of Black Hawk Holistic.

$95 later and she won't touch it. I mixed some raw mince through and she spat out the bits of dry food!! :banghead:

Does anyone have suggestions here on how to get her to eat it?

She has oats for brekky with a bit of egg/milk mixture.

she is 2 1/2, was scooting a bit and the vet did her anal glands (only had them once done which vet said was good but more "bulk" and dry food needed)

Thanks

P.S she was still doing a little scoot after doing a pooo after they were done.

Shes a 23 kg Kelpie.

Walks everyday.

Healthy otherwise

Try hunger - don't feed anything for 24 hours then offer it.

Otherwise, donate the bag to rescue and try something else. My dogs didn't like it either - reason I'd always recommend a sample or a smaller bag first. :(

Psyllium husk will add bulk to a raw diet and is very cheap. Can't see how dry food would help with anal glands??

The cereal bulk does.

FYI, when I fed a fully raw diet (including veggies) my Toy Poodle had quite a few anal gland issues. Since adding some kibble to her diet - issues no longer. :)

Larger raw bones like turkey necks or lamb bones are best for making the anal glands work but if you want to persist with the dry food try dropping little bits on the kitchen floor. Most dogs cannot resist "cleaning up" anything they think isn't their's. Once they get the taste for it you can start adding small amounts to the regular feed and gradually increase it.

Do you have another dog? If so jealousy works well. Give it to the other dog to make her want it.

I have an 8 year old that has always had all raw and would not even taste any other dry food or commercial dog treat but he loves Blackhawk. It is also the only dry food I could get my new puppy to eat after trying 3 others. My dogs that have had dry dog food have always preferred it separate to other foods and not soaked. If it was ever mixed in with other food they wouldn't touch it.

Guest lavendergirl

Psyllium husk will add bulk to a raw diet and is very cheap. Can't see how dry food would help with anal glands??

The cereal bulk does.

FYI, when I fed a fully raw diet (including veggies) my Toy Poodle had quite a few anal gland issues. Since adding some kibble to her diet - issues no longer. :)

I found the same with the grain free kibble varieties - anal gland problems.

I don't agree that adding dry is better than completely raw for anal glands, however if you want her to eat the Dry food then you will just have to ride it out with her, as Ams says be tough with her.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

She eats raw oats for brekky, and I was giving her a cheaper dry(smallish amount) mixed with Kangaroo or beef mince.I regularly get her meaty lamb bones as a change.

I think she might just like rubbing her bottom :laugh: as she did it again breifly at a walk this pm/

Re: other dogs, no we haven't, and any that come over she will let them eat her food :(

I will try the starve thing( hope hubby and kids don't sneak her food!) for a little bit and if the sardines don't work I will donate it!

\BTW, how long does it last...its a very BIG bag!

If you are feeding kibble twice daily at one cup per meal it will last about 6 - 8 weeks. If you are supplementing her intake with other foods such as yohgurt, RMB, sardines, eggs, chicken frames etc then you remove a portion of kibble to make up for the calories you add and it will take longer to use the bag.

(This is an estimate based on what I feed the rescue dogs. I know others will have a more scientific method to work it out but math hurts my brain).

She eats raw oats for brekky, and I was giving her a cheaper dry(smallish amount) mixed with Kangaroo or beef mince.I regularly get her meaty lamb bones as a change.

Whole oats or rolled oats? The rolled ones don't work anywhere near as well as the whole.

I think she might just like rubbing her bottom :laugh: as she did it again breifly at a walk this pm/

Re: other dogs, no we haven't, and any that come over she will let them eat her food :(

I will try the starve thing( hope hubby and kids don't sneak her food!) for a little bit and if the sardines don't work I will donate it!

\BTW, how long does it last...its a very BIG bag!

Try the Blackhawk thread and see if anyone on there wants to buy some from you if they don't need a full bag. I buy the 3kg bags now but was buying 2kg at a time from a friend with more dogs who was buying the 20kg bags. 20kgs would last my dogs 10 months so I prefer to buy in smaller quantities.

I have a fussy poodle. I have to mix her kibble with yoghurt otherwise she won't touch it previously to this I was soaking them in water put in the fridge for 10 mins and she'd eat it :shrug: due to her heart I can't do the tough love with food so gotta do whatever I can so she will eat :( She is on RC gradually switching to Black Hawk.

Just a question but do you take off the amount of kibble you feed if you add yoghurt? My dogs get a tablespoon with their dinner but I've continued same amount of kibble. (Sorry to hijack :o)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by krystal&coco