Holiday With Our Dogs

Starkehre

We have stayed at Countrywide Cottages at Bambra (near Winchelsea) for the past couple of years for our annual holiday. http://www.countrywidecottages.com.au/index.html

We are off again next month for a few days.

It is the most peaceful and gorgeous place to stay for both us and the dogs. We really love it.

We do a range of things while there like - country drives, meals out, meals in (provided by chef and in room on arrival) obedience and tracking training, let the dogs swim in the dam, feed the wild parrots, relax by camp fire and just have a lovely time.

The one and only down side to Countrywide for us was that the cottages didn't have any yards or fencing around them, which for us made it a bit more work and slightly less relaxing than we would have liked. Though our dogs are very well behaved, we needed to be vigilant that they never left us and wandered off. And when we had them inside, we couldn't just let them outside for an empty, but had to pop them on lead or ensure they stayed close, particularly in the dar when you can't see them.

...well, just had an email from Di (the lovely host at Country Wide) and she advises us that fenced yards have now been put up around the cottages.... :thumbsup:

You can imagine my excitement. We will enjoy ourselves even more than usual, knowing we can relax and allow our dogs to roam freely within the confines of the yard and not have to keep checking in with them to stay near us.

Can't wait!!!! :)

Edited by dyzney

Wow what a great place, thanks for posting, we are always looking for a place near Melbourne to stay with the dogs. We used to stay at Balliang at a B&B (Ripley Park) there but they shut down.

Do you know if they have a dog limit, I searched the site but i couldn't find mention of it?

Ive also stayed at country wide cottages and loved it.....but the lack of fencing was a bit of a downer. This is great! We loved the dam and the dogs were fascinated with the yabbies that we caught.

Forgot to say, what cabin did you stay in Dyzney? We stayed in the Igloo and dammit...that bed was THE most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. Hope they have a new mattress by now.

Edited by toofarnorth

In 2010 we stayed in the Igloo, in 2011 we stayed in Canopy (Castle)

We preferred the layout of the igloo, but the location of the Canopy, so we are staying in Canopy again this time.

We have taken 3 Rottweilers. I am not aware that Di has any limits on dog numbers. Next year we will have 4, and have not spoken to her about that yet, but I doubt there would be any issues. She is an amazingly easy going lady and I feel she would look at dogs on a case by case situation if there were 5.

Every time we have stayed (Monday to Friday - non-holiday season) we have not even come across any other dogs or people there. Once there was someone else there, and we heard their dog bark a couple of times when we walked past their cottage on our way to the dam paddock, but did not even see them. The cottages are so secluded that unless you bump into each other in one of the common areas, you are unlikely to see them at all.

I doubt reactivity would be an issue, Megan. This is a property that has 4 self contained cottages on it and they are hidden amongst trees and a couple of hundred metres away from one another. And now there are fences around the yards, it is even easier to keep your dogs private.

Even when we have gone to the common areas - pool table, barbecues, dam, training paddocks, there was no one else using them anyway.

I am sure it is a lot busier on weekends and during holiday periods and perhaps at these times there are dogs running around in the common areas, but if your dog required it's own space, it would be very easy to set yourself up that way.

OH and I are pretty private people anyway. We do not go away to hook up with other people, so we are not hunting down gatherings of groups of people and their dogs. However, if we bumped into them, it would not be an issue and the dogs could have a romp if we felt like it.

I know Silent Child stayed there with her Rotti Emma last year.

TFN, sorry, I do not remember what the mattress was like :o

Edited by dyzney

Sounds idyllic. Will be looking into this asap. I am a worry wart when it comes to my guys

safety so good to hear they have adequate fencing. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by BC Crazy

Oh the fences are up?! Fantastic!! I have been waiting for that so I can go back with Emma. :thumbsup:

Dyzney is right, we stayed there last year(?) if I remember right and Emma loved it. My Emma is very dog-reactive but whilst we were there we only met a few other people and was able to keep well away from other dogs. We were there for a week and only once did we cross paths with someone else and their dog when we were up at the office, but Emma was on a leash and the other people slipped their dog on a leash too when they saw us, so we were able to pass with minimum fuss (and a lot of pulling and jumping on my part!) The bush walks were quiet so we were able to walk Emma off-leash through the bush - she had an absolute blast sniffing every rock and tree and leaf!! It's the only place I would be confident enough to let her off-leash on walks as I can see there are no other people or dogs around from a distance so if I see anyone I just slip her back on leash. Like Dyzney, when I went to the common areas I never saw anyone else around so Emma was able to have a run and play freely.

We stayed in the igloo and the mattresses were very comfortable for me. :laugh:

Edited by silentchild

Have also stayed there and it was great! But the fencing makes it sound even more great!

When we stayed we were 2 people & 4 dogs (1 was a 9month old pup too). Di said she'd rather have people there with their dogs rather than some of the kids that have stayed because at least the dog owners looked after the places and tidied up!!!

Will have to look in to going back again.

Ive also stayed at country wide cottages and loved it.....but the lack of fencing was a bit of a downer. This is great! We loved the dam and the dogs were fascinated with the yabbies that we caught.

Forgot to say, what cabin did you stay in Dyzney? We stayed in the Igloo and dammit...that bed was THE most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. Hope they have a new mattress by now.

Hi TFN, I was just doing some last minute arrangements for our holiday with the lovely Di from Countrywide Cottages, and she informs me that all the beds and mattresses were fairly recently replaced.

They like to periodically stay in the 4 cottages to get a patrons perspective to see if anything needs attention and this was how they realised about the beds.

If anyone else has any questions, Di will be fine with me relaying them to her. We have become quite friendly over our stays there.