Life Expectancy

Dame Aussie

Just interested in peoples opinions :) .

OH and I are always talking about different breeds and whether they would fit in our household or not, and we were talking about Danes the other night.

OH said he wouldn't get one due to their life expectancy. I get that, but have always wanted one and I don't know if it would totally put me off.

How do others feel? And for people who have dogs that have a lower life expectancy, did it influence your decision to get them?

Thanks!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes- there is a breed that I would love to own but when 7 years is considered old I just don't think I could cope. That being said there are improvements in that breed so maybe in the future it will be a possibility.

It puts me off, big time. Not just short life expectancy, but the likelihood that there will be serious illnesses from a young age.

One exception, though. As a breeder it would be a worthwhile challenge to chase down lineages within a short-lived breed who have higher life expectancy and work to overcome the health problems that shorten life for the breed in question. I seem to remember someone on DOL talking about having Danes who were making it to a decent age.

;) It's my own Life expectancy that will determine my next dog......which hopefully will be another Cavalier.

I know that my children all Love Cavs. and when I do "Fall off my Perch" they would take my Dogs with open arms, The Cat as well, The Parrot and the Fish... ;)

No, because despite the reputations some Breeds have it is generally still possible to find a Breeder with lines that are in fact healthy and sound and live long happy lives. So I would research and find one of those.

Absolutely.

Actually, I can count on one hand the number of breeds I could realistically ever own, due to my allergies and asthma. But theoretically, it would definitely put me off. The little poodles I had growing up lived to 16-18 - that's the kind of life expectancy I want!

in my case i want a dane in the future, but OH says no... for all the above reasons.

if they were longer lived.... ;) then he would not have an excuse. :thumbsup:

but then i negected to tell him of the sorts of issues dallys can have.... like kidney stones and deafness. we have had a close call with a kidney issue and same dog has ear issues... bi lateral by my estiamation and is on his second ear infection.

No.

Our dogs are all going to pass sooner or later, as will all of us.

How many years I have had a dog for prior to this happening makes no difference in my opinion, with of course wishing that they have the best possible life they can with no health issues. They will age accordingly, so at the time will not seem like they are a young pup, then suddenly old, then dead... if you follow my drift.

When they die I will be gutted and miss them incredibly, but owning them longer does not make it easier... in fact if anything, the opposite.

I used to think I would not wish to own a breed that had a short life expectancy, but feel differently now. I am just now wondering if this because I am getting older?? Interesting thought.

Yes, certain lines do seem to carry better longevity genes than some others and of course excellent health in genetics is well worth the research, but beyond that I would definitely own a breed with a life expectancy of 6 or 7 years, if I loved the breed.

Edited by dyzney

For most of my life I have had pet dogs that have lived rich, healthy and full lives. Small breeds averaging 17 years old with no illnesses and GSD aged 14.

My chosen heart breed, now is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Not known for it's longevity. :(

My hope is that, along with the many breeders I have met, that this is a figure we can improve on, with care and time.

Mitral valve disease being the main killer in this breed, some books will tell you the average life expectancy is around 9 years of age.

When we hear of a milestone birthday of say, 13 years, we all inwardly hope we can breed dogs that reach this age, more and more. We all celebrate these milstones and hope that more will be reached in the future. With health testing and careful breeding this is our hope and our goal.

Unfortunately, not all CKCS breeders are on board with health testing (particularly those bred by BYB's) so it continues to be a bumpy road.

But every day spent with a delightful Cavalier is worth 1000 days compared to one day without one. :)

I groom at lease 6 CKCS that are in excess of 12yo and do not look like stopping soon, I wouldn't give up hope LizT :)

It's always great to hear of these 'oldies', Crisovar.

I think if people didn't succumb to the big brown eyes and over feed them it would go a long way to helping too!

No heart needs an additional weight burden. :mad

I groom at lease 6 CKCS that are in excess of 12yo and do not look like stopping soon, I wouldn't give up hope LizT :)

I met a 12 yo at the beach the other day. Her owner said she gets a bit confused sometimes but is otherwise in perfect health :thumbsup: