Another Dog Charged Us On Our Walk.. Getting Sick Of It!

Michelleva

id just like to say while this is an unfortunate situation to have happened, thankfully noone was more seriously injured and YES the man should be checking his equipment regulary, having a go at him for not "being bothered" to teach his dog good recall hits me rather personally. He may be in training with his dog, he may have been in training for some time. his dog may be unresponsive to training or have issues which make it difficult to train. i myself have a bordercollie x who has zero recall when another dog is around. this is not for lack of trying. we have been training with him for near on 4 years now with no luck. he does not come off lead full stop as i know that if he was to see another dog he's gone until i can catch up to where ever the other dog is and catch him. You do not know the circumstances behind this dog to make that sort of a conclusion on his owner.

yes the lead broke.

im sure this guy with double and triple check from now on.

that is no reason to have a go at him in regards to his training of his dog. he did not purposely let it of lead, probably for the exact reason he had no recall.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is copied from the casey council website, which is where I reside.

What about unleashed dogs that cause a nuisance?

If your dog rushes at, chases, bites or attacks a person and/or another animal, you may be liable for any damages your dog/s causes. It may also include an incident being investigated, for any alleged breaches under the Local Law and / or Domestic Animals Act 1994 No.81. Infringement notices may be issued or the matter may referred to Court.

It is important for dog owners to remember that they must exercise their rights with common sense and that includes making sure their dog is under effective control and able to be restrained if required.

Therefore I reserve the right to judge ANYONE who comes near me and doesn't have effective control over their dog.

id just like to say while this is an unfortunate situation to have happened, thankfully noone was more seriously injured and YES the man should be checking his equipment regulary, having a go at him for not "being bothered" to teach his dog good recall hits me rather personally. He may be in training with his dog, he may have been in training for some time. his dog may be unresponsive to training or have issues which make it difficult to train. i myself have a bordercollie x who has zero recall when another dog is around. this is not for lack of trying. we have been training with him for near on 4 years now with no luck. he does not come off lead full stop as i know that if he was to see another dog he's gone until i can catch up to where ever the other dog is and catch him. You do not know the circumstances behind this dog to make that sort of a conclusion on his owner.

yes the lead broke.

im sure this guy with double and triple check from now on.

that is no reason to have a go at him in regards to his training of his dog. he did not purposely let it of lead, probably for the exact reason he had no recall.

If the owner is having trouble teaching his dog a recall then shouldn't he be checking his equipment regularly?

I hardly think it's fair to blame the OP for something she had no control over and that's all I was getting at in my post.

Sas, don't you think the owner has some sort of responibility to teach the dog the COME command.. this wasn't an 8 week old puppy, it was probably an 8 month old tank!

I also have the right to walk my dog in public without being charged by yet another dog that an owner can't control. If you can't control a MUSCLEY strong willed dog, don't own one! Ok that the end of my venting.

As the dog obviously didn't have any recall that was why he was on a lead the owner was doing the right thing, it is just unfortunate that the lead broke, it's not like the owner let him off run around like a loony, and I would be glad he was not aggressive :) hope your ankle is better soon. And I'm glad your dog is okay.

Guest donatella

If the lead broke it's not the owners fault, come on now. It's just a very unfortunate situation.

+ one for this comment. He had his dog restrained (for obvious lack of recall) and I'm sure when he left for the park he had no idea the lead would break. Do you expect him to never take the pup anywhere because there is a rare chance the lead may snap? Accidents happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to disagree. Why should she have to worry about her and her dogs safety because the owner never bothered teaching his dog a good recall?

Imagine if the lead broke walking along a road and the dog ran into cars, scary!

Most of the leads and harnesses sold at Pet Shops are of very poor quality and the lead doesn't need to look worn at all for the clip to snap. I used to use a very well known brand of collar - they were not cheap - that had plastic snaps and it snapped open one day.

I actually blame the vast majority of petshops that sell poor quality equipment with very high mark ups.

Most of the leads and harnesses sold at Pet Shops are of very poor quality and the lead doesn't need to look worn at all for the clip to snap. I used to use a very well known brand of collar - they were not cheap - that had plastic snaps and it snapped open one day.

I actually blame the vast majority of petshops that sell poor quality equipment with very high mark ups.

Yep I've had a lead break at the clip while Weez was tied up one day, there was no sign of wear it just gave out at one of the metal connectors. Fortunately we were in a paddock and away from traffic at the time and there were other people there to call him back, but it's certainly not something I anticipated.

I have also had a leash slip out of my hand while I was crossing to the median strip of a busy road, I just got mixed up between the two leashes and one got away from me :eek: Every single second I'd spent training a "stop" was worth it that day :cry:

Edited by Weasels

Guest donatella

Yep I've had a lead break at the clip while Weez was tied up one day, there was no sign of wear it just gave out at one of the metal connectors. Fortunately we were in a paddock and away from traffic at the time and there were other people there to call him back, but it's certainly not something I anticipated.

I have also had a leash slip out of my hand while I was crossing to the median strip of a busy road, I just got mixed up between the two leashes and one got away from me :eek: Every single second I'd spent training a "stop" was worth it that day :cry:

The bottom paragraph is my worst nightmare. When I harness mine up I have a good tug and pull to make sure its secure and when crossing busy roads I tend to carry her, I can't imagine the carnage if her harness broke on a busy road!

So lucky you had trained dogs!!

My dog eats through most webbing type leads - she can do it in about three chomps - so I use a horse lead on her. Takes a bit longer to chomp through so she can't get started on it without me noticing. And it makes a great tug toy.

I saw off a BC that had been charging and tripping other dogs at my park and the owner did nothing about it, so before this dog could get near my dog, I got between it and my dog, stood tall, stepped towards it and YELLED at it. And it turned and ran.

Another dog that actually attacked my dog, I hit with the clip of the horse lead three or four times before it backed off and I could get my dog out the way. This was one crazy whippet cross iggy. My dog could have killed it quite easily and I didn't want that to happen either.

And I've had reported a dog that bit me because I grabbed its collar to stop it attacking my dog. I mistook it for a friendly dog but it was accustommed to attacking dogs and people to get its way. Wasn't a hard bite - lucky for me.

Most owners of dogs that attack - take their dog and slink off before you can get enough details to report them.

And to show I'm not perfect. My dog tried to eat a guy in a wheelchair the other night. He went way too close to me in her opinion, but I had her by the collar so she didn't quite reach. But it did upset me that she tried. The wheel chair guy just kept going but now I have some more training to do, and I need to watch people don't get too close when she's that excited.

My dog eats through most webbing type leads - she can do it in about three chomps - so I use a horse lead on her. Takes a bit longer to chomp through so she can't get started on it without me noticing. And it makes a great tug toy.

MRB, have you tried a chain leash? Sprenger make some very nice, high quality ones http://www.fordogtrainers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=2283

There were signs up around one section of our walk this am from a woman whose small dog was attacked and died on the way to hospital the other night :( She described the dog as what she thought was a staffy x that was being walked by children when it slipped it collar and charged the woman and her dog and attacked it. She was appealing for ppl to phone her ect if they recognised the dog.

Very sad, ppl need to start being aware of their dogs being able to get off their property AND have an adult who can control the dog in public as well.

One of my pet grips is parents who let their little kids take the dog for walk when it is obv if the dog wanted to chase something the kids would have no control over it :mad

One of my pet grips is parents who let their little kids take the dog for walk when it is obv if the dog wanted to chase something the kids would have no control over it :mad

My dogs have been monstered by a large dog under the "control" of a child.

I ended up grabbing the lead and stringing the dog up to prevent it from taking chunks out of mine.

Dad was not impressed. He was even less impressed when he snatched the lead from me and his dog bit him.. transferred aggression's a bitch. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Sas, don't you think the owner has some sort of responibility to teach the dog the COME command.. this wasn't an 8 week old puppy, it was probably an 8 month old tank!

I also have the right to walk my dog in public without being charged by yet another dog that an owner can't control. If you can't control a MUSCLEY strong willed dog, don't own one! Ok that the end of my venting.

Michelleva, you have my understanding.

OK, even if it's accepted it was accidental in that the dog broke its lead to charge you.

The owner bears taking responsibility for the consequences. Your leg was barrelled into, causing real pain and you were understandably shaken at a dog charging you & your sheltie. I would expect an apology from the man, genuine concern if you'd been injured and checking that you were OK, before moving on with his dog.

Not unrealistic expectations. There are people out there who are civil in such circumstances.

A dog once broke away when a man was getting it out of a car....next to where I was walking the 2 shelties. It charged my dogs. The shelties' leads tangled my legs & pulled me over.

The man was decent. He was as shocked as I was & raced to help me (after he secured his dog.). His only concern was that I (& my shelties) were OK. He couldn't stop apologising & said it had taught him to put the dog's lead on in the car.

I've also had a speeding huge GSD come flying across a park, straight at my 2 shelties on a lead. I'm not afraid of dogs, but my heart nearly stopped. I screamed 'Stop!', just as the owner way on the other side, whistled the GSD, which stopped. Not a word of concern from the owner.....who had just watched his big dog charging at a small lady with 2 little shelties. It was a park that required dogs be on leash. No civil response from that man.

Edited by mita

My dogs have been monstered by a large dog under the "control" of a child.

I ended up grabbing the lead and stringing the dog up to prevent it from taking chunks out of mine.

Dad was not impressed. He was even less impressed when he snatched the lead from me and his dog bit him.. transferred aggression's a bitch. :)

:laugh: You've got to love karma!!

From now on carry a big stick or something to protect you and your dog with. Sorry to hear that it happened, it very scary and frustrating!

A big stick might stop a small dog but you're likely to simply provoke the situation with a strong aggressive dog.

Although it sounds like this particular dog wasn't aggressive, whacking it with a big stick just might change that

Michelleva, you have my understanding.

OK, even if it's accepted it was accidental in that the dog broke its lead to charge you.

The owner bears taking responsibility for the consequences. Your leg was barrelled into, causing real pain and you were understandably shaken at a dog charging you & your sheltie. I would expect an apology from the man, genuine concern if you'd been injured and checking that you were OK, before moving on with his dog.

Thank you Mita.. thankfully my foot is fine.. he showed no concern for me or my dog.. he just made a hasty retreat... but I haven't been keen to take my doggy for a walk since then.. :(