Sage - Needing Some Advice

Sage's pups were all rehomed before she came to you Holly's Mummy - I'm pretty sure all the "maternal hormones" had dissolved some time prior to that. The settling process may have been easier in the former pack because all of the resident dogs were pretty laid back and non-reactive... and used to fosters coming and going...

My experience is that females can be a bit more aggressive towards other dogs when they have pups in tow... protection of the pups from predators and that sort of thing.

With the pulling on lead, does she do it when on a harness? You could also try a longer lead and loop a part of it loosely across her chest, I've had success with that on a few occasions when nothing else worked. Got that tip from here on DOL actually.

You are doing everything in your power for Sage, and I reckon you've already gone way beyond what most would have put up with. If all of the issues are causing stress with you, your family, your dogs, and now with strange dogs being walked by your house - then I fully support any decision you make regarding giving Sage her wings. I have had a foster before that nearly gave me a complete mental breakdown because she had similar issues, so I can understand how close you may be getting to that breakdown...

T.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The getting out and having a go at another small dog isn't good... maybe it is best that Sage is given her wings if she's not safe around smaller animals.

It's just so weird that Sage fitted in well in a multi dog home (mostly larger dogs, but there are a couple of smaller dogs as well) in her first foster home - AND she had a litter of pups with her then. One would have thought that those tendencies would have stuck out like a sore thumb in that home, but she settled in fine. That's what has me so confused as to her behaviour now, and am asking if it's possible to have the "DOL member approved" behaviourist check her out.

Dogmad - what did you think of Ellie's reactions to challenging/barking dogs when you were helping her out to find a new home? Remember that you also had first hand experience with Ellie in the flesh. What would you have recommended for her if you hadn't met her and had only read that she would pull her hardest to go over to the other dog?

Whatever course Holly's Mummy takes from here - now that Sage has escalated to escaping the yard and attacking another dog - she has my support, respect, and sympathy.

Holly's Mummy - please don't feel pressured by my asking if Kathy can assess Sage - if she is impossible to contain and you can't see Kathy for a while, then you must do what you feel is right, OK?

T.

With Ellie, I said I wouldn't rehome her until she'd been assessed with other dogs and in a very controlled situation she proved to be friendly. I had warned the owner that my recommendation may be to pts if she turned out to be dangerous and they understood that. She had previously lived with another dog with no issues and had other dogs come into the yard but I was very concerned when she saw my small dog and reacted the way she did but then she'd been on a rope for 12 months at that stage with no relief at all. She was very excitable on the lead when she saw other dogs although she was fine with me the couple of times I had her on the lead and she saw small dogs, one across the road and one in close proximity. She does need a strong harness and training and has had a behaviouralist out as well and the new owners have very secure fencing and have got it under control. They had a large and strong Shepherd type before that wasn't good with other people or dogs. Believe me, I turned everyone down because she required a certain home, they are few and far between.

Exactly dogmad... now, what would your recommendation have been if you had not been personally involved with Ellie, but only read about her on an internet forum?

In Sage's case I think that she might need to be given her wings now she has actively escaped the yard and attacked another dog. Why she settled fine in one foster home and not so well in another is anyone's guess - but I'm tipping that it has nothing to do with anything Holly's Mummy has done to try to accommodate her.

T.

My only thoughts on this T are that we don't know whether the same problem may have arisen when Caz tried to rehome her - maybe she was ok with Caz's muttley crew but outside of that comfort zone could've reverted to feeling threatened anyway? Maybe this was always an unknown risk?

The unfortunate reality is she is where she currently is and hasn't assimilated well and there are no solid suggestions at this point of how to overcome that. Noone wants another attack or escape. It is an awfully sad situation and I feel for everyone who has had contact with Sage, and of course Sage herself. HM, this must be extremely hard for you because I know you must also get to see good/happy Sage or you wouldn't even be putting in all this effort.

Sending strength your way...

Thank you for your support

Sage went across the bridge today :cry:

We took her down the river this morning where she enjoyed a bacon & egg muffin, with a long walk along the river, she saw horses and then wanted to chase horses. Followed by a long drive where she could stick her head out the window and sniff, she also enjoyed a double quarter pounder and a drink once we got to the vets.

We are both devastated and never wish to have to do that again

Here is a picture of her in the car today

post-33232-0-47287700-1333528876_thumb.jpg

Guest donatella

So brave HM!

You did the best you could for everyone involved, you can't say you didn't try everything for this girl. thinking of you, RIP sage