Scammers Trying Again...........

mumoftwo

Yes, I purchased one from the USA sight unseen and she is a great little dog.I couldn't be happier.

I have purchased from breeders many pups sight unseen.

Have you ever thought that your warning may be doing the sellers in other states a great dis-service ?.

Not only that, the the puppy buyers may be missing out on getting a great puppy.

Not all of us are unethical and I take great umbridge at your insinuation.

It is always easily overcome by any puppy purchasers who may be a bit wary, just ask them to ring the Controlling Body of your state and and ask if they have ever had any problems or complaints about the breeder you are dealing with. Also ask if they have friend that may be will to see the puppy on their behalf.

I do this and have never had a problem. Not that I breed very of thess days.

The word ethical and reputable does apply to many of us that breed and sell to other states.

Yes, I will agree that there are some that are unethical and some that are scammers where the pup does not even exhist but if the purchasers did their research into the breed and the breeder they should have little or no problems.

This! :thumbsup:

I have sold dogs all over Australia, to New Zealand and to the USA.

Some have been sales based upon referrals from other breeders, some have been cold contact. It is a measure of trust on BOTH sides of the transaction.

I've formed good relationships with many of my puppy people, some have faded away never to be heard from again. That's the way it goes and the same could be said of friendships that don't progress. I've had family members of a couple of my puppies come to visit the puppies prior to them going to their new homes. One of them was VERY scathing of his son's decision to buy a puppy from Tasmania when he lives in FNQ. However when he toured Tasmania he dropped in to meet me, see the puppies and meet their mother and he went home completely satisfied and wholeheartedly endorsing the transaction.

There is good and bad in ALL transactions and from what I read even here on DOL, meeting a person before or when purchasing a puppy still doesn't necessarily safeguard against issues.

Each to their own of course but open minds are infinitely more pleasurable for all concerned to deal with.

When I was looking for a puppy a few months ago and checking some of the popular online sites realised that probably about 60% of the ads on there were from scammers. They really are everywhere! They are pretty easy to tell from the real thing with a simple google image search on the photo and on first contact they have pitiful english, a sob story, a big list of questions they want you to waste your time answering, many references to God and then many excuses as to why you can't see the pups in person, even if they are in a neighbouring suburb.

I quickly learned that most of these ads are for dogs that don't exist from Nigerian scammers or puppy farmers/puppy brokers who are trying to sell tiny 6 week old pups. It's really quite disgusting.

I've bought 5 purebred dogs, all sight unseen and had them flown here. When you live in the stix it just isn't practice to expect to be able to see pups in the flesh first. I've also rehomed many rescues to interstate homes and none f them saw the dog eforehand except thru pics.

I had a discussion last year with someone from the ACT Govt animal welfare area and he said that people should view the pup in situ. I pointed out that I had got my last three dogs from interstate and the breeders were entirely ethical. Getting a puppy from a local "breeder", using the term loosely, means nothing when that person could simply be a broker for a puppyfarm.

The subject of the thread is about scammers though where the dog doesn't exist. If the person sees a pup, hands over money, and takes the pup in hand they can't be scammed in such a way.

I'm happy to continue to advise puppy buyers to go and meet the breeder. In my breed particularly I think the effort is worth it. Naturally others can think and or advise as they choose. I really don't care either way, afterall it's not my money being taken. :shrug:

The word 'reputable' is very subjective. It has to be the most overused and misused word in the dog world.

I can think of 4 Pug breeders off the top of my head in Sydney metro and surrounds who regularly breed black Pugs. It seems you are just unlucky minimax. You were unlucky when trying to buy a rescue and unlucky when trying to buy a purebred too. Some people just don't have much luck I guess.

I am sure there are many people who have purchased a dog unseen without issue. I agree that the scams aren't happening with breeders in general, there usually isn't even a dog let alone it being a legitimate breeder selling a dog. Personally, I can can pick them a mile away.

Personally, I practice what I preach and I preach consistently to puppy buyers - meet the breeder, develop a relationship, meet the dam and the sire (where possible), meet the puppy and the rest of the litter and then purchase if you are happy with what you see.

When I ran my rescue, I wouldn't re-home a dog to home site unseen as the potential owner could be telling me anything over the phone and in emails. I trust my eyes more than I trust the written or spoken word.

Yes, I purchased one from the USA sight unseen and she is a great little dog.I couldn't be happier.

Have you ever thought that your warning may be doing the sellers in other states a great dis-service ?.

Not only that, the the puppy buyers may be missing out on getting a great puppy.

It is always easily overcome by any puppy purchasers who may be a bit wary, just ask them to ring the Controlling Body of your state and and ask if they have ever had any problems or complaints about the breeder you are dealing with. Also ask if they have friend that may be will to see the puppy on their behalf.

The word ethical and reputable does apply to many of us that breed and sell to other states.

Yes, I will agree that there are some that are unethical and some that are scammers where the pup does not even exhist but if the purchasers did their research into the breed and the breeder they should have little or no problems.

A disservice? No, not at all. You qualify my statements further on in your post when you say "Also ask if they have friend that may be will to see the puppy on their behalf." You are therefore suggesting it is a good idea to veiw the pup first. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Personally, I'd prefer to be the eyes however, as I have done in rescue, I have used other people to act on my behalf and be my eyes. Asking a friend to look at the pup first is the same thing.

Take umbridge all you like. To think that I am saying that people who sell dogs interstate are unethical takes a HUGE stretch of imagination. :laugh: Seriously.

NO I DON'T qualify any statement.

I find I do it to give a service because we have people telling prospective buyers not to buy interstate always go and visit the breeder.!!!

Then again we have some great purchasers that do their research and home work and end up purchasing just what they wanted from interstate from ethical reliable breeders.

Stop huffing. It won't change anything.

:confused: How did scammers get lumped into discussion with reg breeders who sell online or interstate? They are worlds apart.

The scammers are criminals, parasites who DO rip people off, playing on them being naive. The pups don't exist. Seriously, a person buys one pup every 16yrs and they are supposed to know all the latest rorts or who to ask? :( In an ideal world we'd all be savvy, and online classifieds would be more heavily edited.

Scammers have the hide to email rescue as well, offering desirable litters, expensive equipment, donations or even adoption. It's disgusting.

Mum of two

Did you report these ads.

Most of the hosts of free online classifieds have TOS that say no dublicate ads or copyright breaches (eg same wording two sites), Even if the same person posted both ads - they're not allowed to copy from one site to another because that breaches the site copyright.

Gumtree says must not offer to post/send anything because it's supposed to be local face to face tx.

Legally - in some states - the puppies are not to be sold until certain conditions are met. And I'm sure breeding a puppy at 11 weeks is fraud or an act of animal cruelty...

If you post which website(s) and the ad id - we can all go report it... it's not like those sites will do anything until you report it - they don't read all the ads before they get posted - same as here.

:confused: How did scammers get lumped into discussion with reg breeders who sell online or interstate? They are worlds apart.

The inference being that nobody should purchase a dog from interstate or overseas because they are more likely to be scammed......

The word 'reputable' is very subjective. It has to be the most overused and misused word in the dog world.

I can think of 4 Pug breeders off the top of my head in Sydney metro and surrounds who regularly breed black Pugs. It seems you are just unlucky minimax. You were unlucky when trying to buy a rescue and unlucky when trying to buy a purebred too. Some people just don't have much luck I guess.

I am sure there are many people who have purchased a dog unseen without issue. I agree that the scams aren't happening with breeders in general, there usually isn't even a dog let alone it being a legitimate breeder selling a dog. Personally, I can can pick them a mile away.

Personally, I practice what I preach and I preach consistently to puppy buyers - meet the breeder, develop a relationship, meet the dam and the sire (where possible), meet the puppy and the rest of the litter and then purchase if you are happy with what you see.

When I ran my rescue, I wouldn't re-home a dog to home site unseen as the potential owner could be telling me anything over the phone and in emails. I trust my eyes more than I trust the written or spoken word.

A disservice? No, not at all. You qualify my statements further on in your post when you say "Also ask if they have friend that may be will to see the puppy on their behalf." You are therefore suggesting it is a good idea to veiw the pup first. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Personally, I'd prefer to be the eyes however, as I have done in rescue, I have used other people to act on my behalf and be my eyes. Asking a friend to look at the pup first is the same thing.

Take umbridge all you like. To think that I am saying that people who sell dogs interstate are unethical takes a HUGE stretch of imagination. :laugh: Seriously.

NO I DON'T qualify any statement.

I find I do it to give a service because we have people telling prospective buyers not to buy interstate always go and visit the breeder.!!!

Then again we have some great purchasers that do their research and home work and end up purchasing just what they wanted from interstate from ethical reliable breeders.

Stop huffing. It won't change anything.

What over YOU stop kidding yourself. Your the one that said it not me.!!!!

I would never tell anybody not to purchase from an interstate seller. Looks like we can leave that up to you.

Most scammers don't like to send photos or know what ANKC is all about.

I had photos sent to me from two scammers. All were stolen from other websites/blogs, and where they stupidly sent multiple photos, they clearly were not the same dogs! They usually claim to be AKC registered, and it sounds all very official to the average person on the street who doesn't know anything about Australian purebreds dogs.

The inference being that nobody should purchase a dog from interstate or overseas because they are more likely to be scammed......

Umm, no. Just the usual reading and not understanding what is being said by people who then try to put two and two together and somehow stupidly come up with 3.

I never said that you are more likely to get scammed buying a dog interstate. I said that people should not buy a dog unseen and have it shipped to them and that I can't understand why anyone would do it.

If I am going to pay a substantial amount for a dog I would not hand my money over willy nilly to some stranger on the Internet.

I don't know either. :laugh:

Everything these days seems to be twisted due to the sensitive over reacting to everything.

I had a discussion last year with someone from the ACT Govt animal welfare area and he said that people should view the pup in situ. I pointed out that I had got my last three dogs from interstate and the breeders were entirely ethical. Getting a puppy from a local "breeder", using the term loosely, means nothing when that person could simply be a broker for a puppyfarm.

The subject of the thread is about scammers though where the dog doesn't exist. If the person sees a pup, hands over money, and takes the pup in hand they can't be scammed in such a way.

Nope, just in other ways. :laugh:

I don't care HOW you buy, its about doing your homework. And if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Responsible, reputable breeders sell interstate all the time. However if all anyone wants is your $$$, its a good sign that the deal is suss.

Most scammers don't like to send photos or know what ANKC is all about.

I had photos sent to me from two scammers. All were stolen from other websites/blogs, and where they stupidly sent multiple photos, they clearly were not the same dogs! They usually claim to be AKC registered, and it sounds all very official to the average person on the street who doesn't know anything about Australian purebreds dogs.

I also know of one case where they emailed a copy of the 'pedigree'. It turned out that the pedigree was that of a dog of someone we knew. They had obviously stolen it from somewhere and then used it to make their scam seem more credible.

Nope, just in other ways. :laugh:

I don't care HOW you buy, its about doing your homework. And if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Responsible, reputable breeders sell interstate all the time. However if all anyone wants is your $$$, its a good sign that the deal is suss.

Oh you bet they can be (scammed in other ways). You've only got to look at how many people buy some crossbreed pup and theyre told its a chihuahua cross and it grows to be the size of a kelpie.

It is all buyer beware as everyone knows. The problem is that most pet owners are not that savvy when it comes to buying dogs. The risk for them is greatly increased when buying a dog unseen.

Edited by ~Anne~

Umm, no. Just the usual reading and not understanding what is being said by people who then try to put two and two together and somehow stupidly come up with 3.

I never said that you are more likely to get scammed buying a dog interstate. I said that people should not buy a dog unseen and have it shipped to them and that I can't understand why anyone would do it.

If I am going to pay a substantial amount for a dog I would not hand my money over willy nilly to some stranger on the Internet.

Thanks Anne but I don't consider myself to be any more stupid than you are when you go off on a tangent.

You saying people should not buy a dog unseen and have it shipped to them is YOUR opinion and just because YOU cannot understand why anyone would do it doesn't make it WRONG as you have frequently said that you tell people.

Some people have no option BUT to buy on the internet.

I'm actually amazed at the absurdity of the argument and even the fact there is one. :laugh:

I don't tell people it is wrong either (there's another = 3 thing you've come up with) I simply advise them not to buy this way.

Who cares what I say. It's my opinion. It's what I say. I don't care if you tell people to buy purple polka dotted dogs. Why are you so concerned with what I tell people. I'll tell you why - it's because of that 3 you've come up with.

Edited by ~Anne~

I think it is fine purchasing a dog over the Internet unseen. So long as you have talked to the breeder over the phone first not just emails and get legitimate photos not google pics and be smart about it get references for vets or previous puppy owners. Don't just see an ad email them and hand over the cash ur just asking for trouble IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk