Dog Escaping Yard Constantly

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right area to post this topic....

I have in the past week rescued a Bull Arab x from the Canberra Pound. He is a beautiful friendly dog but the only problem is he has been escaping into our neighbours yard to hang out with their dog since Monday and today he escaped through the front of our yard and was found 2km away!

We have Colourbond fencing around the yard except for the front fencing which is your standard tall wooden fencing. We thought he was getting under the fence to get into the neigbours yard to begin with but we had blocked the area off and now he has jumped the front fence i think he is definately a jumper! It is never when we are home only during the day while we are at work.

Could anyone give me ideas on how to stop him from jumping? We are looking at adopting another dog to keep him company but that wont be for a couple of months.

Toys? angled fencing at the top of our fences?

Thank you!! :)

My little girl is also a jumper. We ended up raising the height of the fence and putting her in a run during the day. It was the only way to stop her. Angled fencing might help though depending on how high/far he can jump.

We've only just started letting her out when we aren't home sometimes. We haven't had any problems since luckily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear, I had the same situation and didn't find a solution until two years later, due to trial and error!

Adopted a very athletic and muscular ridgeback cross from DAS who is a high jumper and liked to go exploring at any opportunity. Installed colourbond, bought a $600 roofed wire run that he chewed out of...clad three of the walls in $300 of colourbond...he still got out by making a gap between the door and wall....

In the end, I got over my reservations and purchased a DAC electric fence. He tested it twice and though he's the dopiest thing ever (much brawn, little brain), he never steps within two metres of the fenceline now :thumbsup: Not even to pursue a ball that he is utterly obsessed with. He absolutely hates being zapped.

Go with an dog-specific electric 'containment system' and be committed to do the training properly.

But yes, expect to have teething and settling issues with a dog that's straight from the pound. I am certain that my dog ended up there because he was a chronic roamer. He was an absolute handful. These forums kept me sane.

More than happy to answer any questions you might have- it took a long time for my dog to settle down and be content with confinement in a large backyard with several toys and a canine companion. He preferred other people's front yards and ovals. Another dog may not necessarily keep yours in the yard.

P/S: Bull Arabs are absolutely beautiful dogs. I hope your former pound-hound gives you less grief than mine. :D

Edited by Ms Genki

I have a fence jumper who does 6ft colourbond. She would go over my side fences and through several houses worth of escape routes to get out. Then I would get calls from two suburbs away.

On my wooden paling fencing I used the lattice fence extensions from Bunnings.

The colourbond was going to be very expensive to extend (she was a foster dog at the time - now foster failure) so I built an internal chicken wire fence about a meter out from the colourbond. She couldn't jump from so far out and if she jumped inside the chicken wire couldn't get a run up to go over.

It's worked for me and was quite inexpensive. I've now planted hedging plants inside the chicken wire so it not only protects the plants from the dogs but once grown should help deter any jumping.

Just for my own interest do you know if she had a temp test done by ARF when in the pound? I am one of the testers so would love to know whether she jumped out of our fence jumping pen during testing. It obviously only gives us an indication of whether the dog is a jumper but given the time restraints at the pound does give us at least some idea.

Oh and I have three other dogs for company and she was getting loads of exercise and enrichement so for some dogs roofed runs or higher fences are the only answer in my mind.

Sadly any form of electric fencing or zap collars are banned in the ACT. In my opinion much better the dog get a zap or two than escape and get run over or sent back to the pound and euthanized.

Thank you for all your responses, i have not been able to get on here since friday!

We have found that his escaping is more from being lonely/bored while we are at work so for the time being we are allowing him and our neighbours dog to hang out in both yards during the day. (My neighbour is happy with this situation for the time being) The neighbours fence on one side is qutie old wooden palings and almost falling apart and he has no interest in jumping or even pushing his way through it!

I think we will extend the top of the fence and posibly do something along the lines of the chicken wire a metre from the fence too.

He did have a temp test at the pound. didnt seem interested in jumping or digging!

Appreciate all your help! :)

Mine had a positive temp test at the pound by ARF volunteers. The problems didn't arise until he was brought home and entered a new environment. Just bear in mind that sometimes, one doesn't always see the 'true dog' until a couple of weeks later.

Sadly any form of electric fencing or zap collars are banned in the ACT. In my opinion much better the dog get a zap or two than escape and get run over or sent back to the pound and euthanized.

Yep.

hot wires (electric fences) are banned here, but we jsut remove the unit, and then claim it's jsut a wire... never been called out on it yet... our unit is battery powered, so easy to remove, they get the idea fairly quickly. keeps the kids in too

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread. I didn't really want to start a whole new one for a similar issue, atleast i think it is.

What can i do if the neighbours dogs start mine up, they bark and get Sara all excited, then she starts jumping on the fence, not over it.

I spoke to someone who suggested using the hose to correct her, which works great. Although she already has a bit of fear / anxiousness with water, i am trying to get her over that and into swimming.

So i guess the hose trick would be detrimental, if not happy to hear it, otherwise maybe some other tips on handling this, or is the same invisible fence idea something to look into?

Cheers

You would put the second fence a metre or two back from the main fence so the dog can't get to the adjoining fence and jump on it.

Unfortunately that isn't really possible, at the fence we have a rock bed and some plants, that comes out a metre, then concrete.

• 2 weeks later...

How about when she starts going off, use the hose to spray her quickly and when she stops or runs back to her run, praise her ?

I am in the process of slowly working on getting her to swim, starting with a kiddie pool, will doing the hose thing cause set backs in this?