Which Breed For Me?

Whichbreed

I'd suggest a Collie Rough. Laid back but trainable, not really into chasing. Easy groom long coat. Good with kids.

Of the others suggested the Keeshond would probably be the best fit.

And I totally disagree with the idea that any dog will chase cats. I and many of my friends have had cats with Border Collies and nearly all are fine with resident cats. They will chase stray cats but not the ones they live with.

An older rescue dog Like a Golden Retriever.One that is past the puppy adolescent stage and has been around young children and cats.Keep in mind any dog you get will need

to go for at least short walks most days and have game/ play time with you.

An older rescue dog Like a Golden Retriever.One that is past the puppy adolescent stage and has been around young children and cats.Keep in mind any dog you get will need

I agree with this my goldens will sleep all day if you let them and i have 4 cats one which was attacked by a neighbors rottie although was fine with a rottie we got a few yrs later. Golden retriever rescue NSW/VIC has plenty of goldens they need homes for of various ages including pups. I also have a horse a young pally stallion who loves sleeping on the carport with the dogs and cats.

they do wonderful work and you'd never believe the numbers they have each year.

http://www.grr.org.au/current.htm

Edited by Angeluca

Our of your list I'd suggest a whippet. Short full bursts of energy then sleep sleep sleep. Great companion dogs and just wish to please.

On the sight hounds, have you considered an Italian Greyhound? Ours is great with cats. My good friend moved in with us for 5 months and bought her cat with her, there was never any issues.

I'd suggest a Cavalier King Charles - they are happy to snuggle, don't demand huge amounts of exercise but enjoy training and agility.

As for the cat thing, I think that if you get the dog as a pup that most dogs can live happily with cats. Our Weim is very "interested" in other cats, but quite friendly with ours. I would be interested know if people with sight hounds find this to be true also, or if the instinct to chase runs deeper in those breeds.

I agree with the other comments re perhaps steering clear of Gundog/Working breeds unless you can locate a breeder who will be honest and ensure you get the pup that meets your requirements.

Pembrokes can be great couch potatoes, they do shed a lot but are very people orientated and would be happy to lay around while you study and just as happy to go out with you on a walk. They are smart and very trainable...

Cardigans would also be an option, a little more reserved than the Pembroke.

ETA: both of the above are working breeds however they are very adaptable.

* I think this is probably only the second time I've gone ahead and recommended my own breed...

Edited by Aziah

I'd suggest a Cav too! But I'm biased :)

My girl is such a couch potato..sleeps all day when I'm at work, loves the kids to death, is highly intelligent & very easy to train. She loves cuddling up in bed or on the couch too but also loves a walk.

Unfortuately my poor old cat passed away shortly after we got her. When they first met all she wanted to do was to play with the cat who used to ignore her & turn his back. I'm positive though that they would have been the best of friends :)

I agree with this my goldens will sleep all day if you let them and i have 4 cats one which was attacked by a neighbors rottie although was fine with a rottie we got a few yrs later. Golden retriever rescue NSW/VIC has plenty of goldens they need homes for of various ages including pups.

they do wonderful work and you'd never believe the numbers they have each year.

http://www.grr.org.au/current.htm

Suprise suprise, I agree too. :laugh:

We adopted our GR from NSW/VIC Goldie rescue when she was 2 (she is now 5) and she is such an easy dog. :D

She is AMAZING with all kids (she is famous at my kids' school), well behaved by inclination (not through training :o ), gets a hard run every morning and sleeps the day away inside while we work.

Her idea of heaven would be me at home while she sleeps on the couch or watches the world go by through the front door.

She has drive when she sees a cat run on our walk, but is definitely 2nd in rank to our 16 yo cat.

If you have no issues with shedding, you could not get a better dog. Being older we didn't have the usual puppy teething issues.

BUT I also can give the thumbs up to a Keeshond. I had one as a teenager/young adult and she was brilliant. :thumbsup: Independent yet cuddly, don't need a huge amount of exercise.

Actually looking at your list of wants, I think the age you get is more important than the breed. Most breeds can be energetic and destructive as pups and/or adolescents (including fawn pugs!)

You need to think about getting an adult rather than a puppy - that way, no matter what the breed you will know exactly what you're getting in advance. So go for the one you want (Keeshund) but ask for a desexed adult. You might have to go on a waiting list but to get the perfect companion it would be worth it.

Second in my opinion would be a cat-safe Greyhound - you may have a shorter waiting list there. Good luck in any event!

Wow! Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice. I think I'll be going with my original choice of Keeshond, but I'll try and find an older dog. I like cavs too but I think they'd be too small around my toddler, he already picks up my cats and takes them everywhere with him, and I'd worry about him trying to do that with a small dog!

But really appreciate all the input!!

I'd say a rescue greyhound that has been tested with cats. Accrue couch potato that I think would fit in well with your household.

I agree with megan.

Yes I agree too.

As long as it had been in foster care with cats. Would fit all of the criteria pretty well.

didn't get in soon enough - but I reckon a shetland sheepdog would also suit your needs.

Friend of mine has a Keeshond and shelties loves both breeds.

My elderly in-laws adopted a beautiful adult ex-show Sheltie several years ago. He is just perfect for them - daily walks but happy to follow them around the house the rest of the time.

I like Shelties too but thought they may be too active! Lol!

I've seen some that are :eek: active - great little agility dogs! I guess that's the nice thing about looking for a mature dog from a decent breeder or rescue - you can find the right fit without going through the puppy phase. On of my Burmese cats is a retired breeding girl (we have her daughter from her first litter) - one of the best things that ever happened to our household, she runs the place with an iron paw :laugh:

Have you thought about a Finnish Lapphund? Not quite as much grooming. Some are much more active than others but I find my Vienna wonderful to live with and very calm with kids. She's lovely to train and enjoys a walk but if we don't get out for a walk she's fine with that too. :)