Death Of A Pet Can Hurt As Much As Loss Of A Relative

Perry's Mum

It's hard to describe the pain of losing a 4-legged soulmate... think how it would feel to have your heart ripped out, run over by a Mack truck, then handed back to you... sorta like that...

I still can't actually speak out loud about my heart dog who passed in 2004 without choking up - even typing about her has me teary...

I had 2 days off work when she passed - simply because I was a complete and utter mess and wouldn't have been useful to anyone.

I loved my Grandmother with all my heart - but even the grief I still feel about her passing completely pales in comparison to that I still feel for my beloved Woosie.

T.

I live on my own with my animals, so I think for me it is partly about how much time is spent together. I still very frequently burst in to tears about my old miss Emma and I lost her in July last year. It just has left such a massive gap in my life on very many levels.

I have lost 3 of my grandparents and that has been sad, but much much easier to deal with than losing Emma. Though I dread the thought of losing one of my closer relatives as I don't think it will be quite as easy to deal with.

Yep I totally agree, I still get sad when i think of my GSD kovu he was family and as far as I am concerned he was a relative. I had never felt so much pain before,losing him was a great loss even my mum still cracks up about him. I think I will always remember him :(

It's true - you can't categorise. Last year I lost my beautiful 9yr old GSD and 5mths later my 87yr old dad. The difference was that I lost my GSD at 1.00 in the morning to bloat - the vet tried surgery and rang me to let me know he probably wouldn't survive and I had to make the decision to PTS when only hours before he was perfect and should have lived for many more years :cry::cry::cry: . I can honestly say I have NEVER been so distraught and upset in my life. When I lost my dad it was after a steady decline where he had to endure a loss of dignity that he didn't deserve - so, as sad as I was at his loss, it was 'different' to the loss of my GSD. It depends on the circumstances and should never be categorised.

Edited by gsdog2

By the time I was 14 I'd lost all my grandparents and a great-grandmother, so for me, the loss of a relative, although sad, became "just a part of life".

However, when Poochie was PTS I was a complete mess, spent my shifts at work crying in the staff toilets and wanting to die myself -- I was so heartbroken.

Do I think going through Poochie's death was worse than that of my relatives? It certainly felt like that, but, she was the first pet I've lost and that day, I lost a part of me.

I do feel it wrong to categorise grief because we all feel very differently towards each person/pet in our lives. I was only 16-18 months when I lost my first grandfather, so obviously there was no real connection from me, although mum's told me it felt like she'd lost her own father that day.

I lost my favourite grandma when I was a month shy of turning 13 and I still remember at feeling only anger (not grief) that she didn't live to see my 13th birthday. I wasn't sad, I was furious at her for that and I don't think I really grieved a lot for her.

Poochie … I sobbed so much and I could feel my heart hurt. I don't think I've ever been so distressed in my life, but that's not to say I didn't love my grandparents as much as her.

So as corrie said: "Each loss stands alone".

Why should grief be categorised into levels..whatever we feel for someone or something, should be our business..if losing a dog is more painful for someone than losing a relative, why should that be 'wrong'..society always sets the benchmark, but on what do they benchmark against? Grief is grief. I adore my two and when they go I have every intention of grieving for them ...totally.

I have lost human family members and four legged family members and I would not compare the grief of any of them because each loss stands alone.

I completely agree with both posts.

I still cry over my cat, and she died about 3-4 years ago.

Oh my gosh , tears streaming just reading these. I got Charlie ( and now Jasper). To help me detach from some horrific family troubles. Have 2 sons, 21 and 20, so some may relate to gen Y. Suffice to say things have been troubling for 4 years now. Cannot imagine not having Charlie and Jasper now, nor how I would react if something happened to them. Was never a dog person before. The love from them is more than I get from others.

I think the reason why we feel so much for our pets, is that they are there with just as much or MORE than family, tey never say anything mean, they are loyal, and they have SO much love to give.

I was in alot of pain the other night and it wasn't my OH that noticed first it was zorro he came over and just snuggled in quietly which is not normal for him, normally as to lick and try to play or be a wiggle bum. But he just quietly snoozed on my belly ( it was girl pains).

I think it would be hard not to grief over the animals that fill our life with unconditional love.

Lost my heart dog two years ago, still very sad and still missing him terribly. I have his son who is so much like him in looks and temperament and getting more so as he matures. I look at him and say, I love you but you are not your father. I sometimes wish I could have my time over again just to have him back.

Same here Laneka. I lost my heart and soul dog 3 1/2 years ago and I still miss her every day.

I often wonder what I would have done differently if I had those years with her again. At least one thing I know is that she couldn't be more loved and valued than she was. She was a special girl.