Neighbours Dog Digs Into My Backyard

poodlesrule

I have just moved into a new property and the fences are good. However, a jack russell that hasn't stopped barking at my std poodles for the last two weeks, dug himself a hole and got through the fence and ended up at the vet with a very deep bite across his shoulder, the vet can't stitch it until Monday. Discovered that the owner is an aquaintance and works for a legal firm, though even though she said it was her dogs fault, I still offered to pay for the vet bills, probably out of relief that my guys didn't kill her dog.

Has anybody else been through this, as I feel terrible.

she's liable for the bills, including any incurred by your dogs. your dogs are restrained. hers got out.. if your dogs got into her yard, different thing. Yes, my dogs have killed neighbours pets (2 ferrets and counting) I feel no guilt. I have rescued thier ferrets countless times from my dogs jaws.. other neighbour got a heafty vet bill from ferret bite to his furballs leg, was too scared to take the bill to the ferrets owner.

Under these circumstances, you are not liable for any Vet bills to the neighbour's dog.

I have been through the same thing with our neighbour's dog, which ended up quite badly chewed and a $650 Vet bill. I did not feel guilty or obliged to pay one cent. It is not your fault if neighbours cannot control their own dog. The council ranger assured me that there would be no repercussions for either my dogs or myself.

It depends on how nasty your neighbour wants to get about it...

Legally, you are not liable for the vet bill... but in the interests of neighbourly harmony, paying something towards either the vet bill or to helping secure the fenceline so it doesn't happen again is never a bad idea.

My neighbour's cat got into my dog pen and didn't survive the experience - my neighbour then decided to go on a crusade to complain to council about my dogs - tried to have them declared dangerous, then tried to complain about them barking (was another neighbour's dog), and when all of that didn't work, she resorted to throwing baits over the fence. One dog died, and another spent 4 days in hospital, before she was satisfied she had evened the score...

T.

Legally, you are not liable for the vet bill... but in the interests of neighbourly harmony, paying something towards either the vet bill or to helping secure the fenceline so it doesn't happen again is never a bad idea.

My neighbour's cat got into my dog pen and didn't survive the experience - my neighbour then decided to go on a crusade to complain to council about my dogs - tried to have them declared dangerous, then tried to complain about them barking (was another neighbour's dog), and when all of that didn't work, she resorted to throwing baits over the fence. One dog died, and another spent 4 days in hospital, before she was satisfied she had evened the score...

T.

Gosh that is terrible..

Next doors dog tries to get in by digging and whining sticking his paw under the fence.. Lucky though Rogue is locked in his run while we are at work being a terrier he would join in ..

Scary stuff for you hope they some how stop him from digging ..

hopefully he will learn his lesson and not do it again. I used to have a Chihuahua cross next door. Went outside one morning and was wondering what the dogs were so fascinated with, wondered over and next door's dog had dug under the fence. They didn't hurt the dog, but I think it got such a fright when it realised how much bigger the dogs on the other side were, it never tried to come back again :)

T.

That is one of the nastiest things I have heard, how can someone do that?

Not your fault neighbour's dog dug under.

Can't blame your dog as other dog may have been aggressor.

Not nice for anyone, of course.

We had similar incident @ parents with my sister's dog attacking burrowing neighbour's dog.

She paid their vet bill, regardless.

Neighbour problems are just not worth it, but be cautious as vet bill could amount to anything.

Our mini poodle dug under and killed one of the neighbour's chickens.

I was horrified, apologised, offerred to buy new chicken etc. ( not that it would make it ok).

Lovely neighbour asked if i was ok as ashen faced when went next door to confess.

Wire underground+ rocks ok for us, but difficult if need to do whole fenceline.

Thanks everyone for your comments. The fence has now been secured from their side and mine, they have dug reo down into the soil. I will just wait and see if she brings the bill around.

I know that she is not the type of person where there would be repercussions thank goodness.

Interesting - I saw a Judge Judy episode on this very topic and I thought her ruling was WAY off base........Neighbour 1 has small dog, Neighbour 2 has two large dogs. Said large dogs dig through and grab small dog, drag it into their yard and kill it. Neighbour 1 fills hole under fence and purchases yet another small dog. Neighbour 2's dogs again dig under and kill it.....this time they are caught in Neighbour 1's yard with body of victim in their mouths. Neighbour 2 accepts no responsibilty and refuses to pay for anything.....and JJ agree with him....said that Neighbour 1 had no right to leave a small dog in the yard without being supervised at all times and verdict was for the defendant (Neighbour 2)........I actually wondered if she was off her meds that day - the bizarrest ruling I have heard in a while.....

Edited by Fit for a King

Many years ago I spoke to a neighbour who constantly let her dog out into the street unrestrained to roam in the evenings. I told her that her dog could harm another animal.

She refused to supervise him and told me that he wouldn't hurt a fly.

Three months later he broke into my fully fenced front yard (Its 5 feet high) and killed my 18 year old cat who loved sleeping on a cushion on the front porch.

I took him home to his owner, (as he was now stuck in my front yard) and explained what he had done. She was horrified. I truly think she didn't believe that he dog would act "like a dog"

She offered to bury my cat but I declined.

I never mentioned it again but she became a better dog owner after that. She started to understand that her dog would atack and kill if left unsupervised and it never left her yard without a leash again.

Our neighbours cat got in our yard, my dog bit him.

We offered to pay the vet bills just for the sake of our dogs. She shares a fence line and if she wanted to poison our dogs she could. I have heard the terrible stories and while she has always been nice and I wouldn't ever think she would do that still possible we dont know her that well. It was more to keep everything neighbourly.

She was actually fantastic about it, she acknowledged it was her fault, also acknowledged that she wanted to blame our dog but she knew that wasn't fair. Would she have been so nice if we hadn't gone above and beyond to help with her cat?? Who knows but a few hundred to keep our dogs safe is worth it. I would pay anything to keep the dogs safe