Ad I Saw... Isn't This Illegal?

well see no im not, the whole point is that ALL animals should be taken to the pound yes? SO i should have taken a feral stray soon to be mum to the pound to ultimately end up being pts as she couldnt be rehomed, no rescue wouldve taken her so by law i should have sentenced her and her babies to death am i right?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well see no im not, the whole point is that ALL animals should be taken to the pound yes? SO i should have taken a feral stray soon to be mum to the pound to ultimately end up being pts as she couldnt be rehomed, no rescue wouldve taken her so by law i should have sentenced her and her babies to death am i right?

Take the mama cat to the pound and ask for a duty of care - all LEGAL then!

I rehomed a dog this year which managed to climb a very high fence during a storm in Canberra. He was gone for 4 days the first time - it wasn't until posters were put up saying he was on medication (which was true) that the person who had him decided to call up because they'd decided they'd like to keep him.

His collar had been removed by the new owners - against my express instructions but he was chipped. If he'd been taken to a vet or even the pound we would have found him but as it was, we sat feeling sick to the pits of our stomach needlessly for 4 days over what could have happened or was happening to a very small and nervous little dog nr the bush.

He escaped again a week later and luckily the next person was more honest - they'd like to keep him if we didn't want him back but called the no. on the tag.

He's since gone to another home as a second dog, that was the key to stop him ever attempting to escape again.

I cannot believe people who don't know or don't even try to find out what they should do when they find a loose animal. No excuses, you cannot presume that because a dog is loose it isn't loved or wanted and that some sort of accident/incident/special set of circumstances hasn't occurred.

If you find a lost kid in the shopping centre - what do you do? Do you take it home or do you go to shopping centre management to try and find the parents?? It's the same thing. The kid belongs to its parents and animals usually belong to someone who may be very distressed. Knowing how I felt, I can't believe someone would willingly put another person through it, they obvioulsy have a zero score on the empathy scale.

Edited by dogmad

Unfortunately the law still says have to take a stray animal to the pound... and yes, she probably would have been pts if she was feral and unrehomable. But that is the law we have, and it's not for us to break the law at our own discretion. Campaigning to have things changed legally is the only real way to get that change - but if you want to play the emotional card rather than the logical one, good luck finding anyone in a position to help change those laws who will listen...

The other option would have been for you to take her to the pound and let them know that you were willing to take her and her kittens into care once the impound time was up... that may have stopped her from being pts, and you still would have had a good outcome, right?

T.

I don't see the need to bring personal agendas into any of this. The law is the law, and as stated above you want that changed? Then do it the right way. Just reinforces my argument that to be able to call yourself "rescue", tighter measures need to be put in place.

Yes that would have been good at the time HOWEVER this was before i started working with rescue groups so i didnt know you could do that. The public does not know you can do that.

Yes that would have been good at the time HOWEVER this was before i started working with rescue groups so i didnt know you could do that. The public does not know you can do that.

Maybe because there are 'rescues' out there telling them they don't have to.

There's always the "I didn't know that" excuse, isn't there? But funnily enough it can't be used in a court of law if you get prosecuted... some obscure act of 1918 (from memory) states categorically that "ignorance is no excuse under the law"... trust me, I got smacked by that one once myself (not related to animals).

Anyways DTyme - now you DO know, but imply that you would happily break that law anyway to "save" an animal... so it's a moot point really, isn't it?

It would be really nice to be able to sit there and think "I don't like that law, so I won't abide by it" - but then reality may come back to bite you if you continue to engage in illegal behaviour...

T.

The public doesn't need to know that. People that want to rescue animals do.

After I had read the gumtree ads you were rung late yesterday afternoon TS by a colleague of mine who pretended she had found a small white fluffy dog.

You stated you needed the microchip number of the animal and contact details of my colleague emailed/sms'd to you.

No advice re getting this 'stray' back to the rightful owner was given whatsoever.

I happened to have the number the vet gave me to contact re microchips. I had planned to give the number to that. It's a petsearch number. The rescues I spoke to had also planned to double check the microchip details had they got the dog.

Just reading back.........you mean rescues actually agreed in advance to handle found dogs if they came up?! :( Sorry TS I do think you're halfway to a good idea with a few amendments to take in the legal aspects but I'm off.

This thread is too scary.

chipped pets yes should have the chance to find their owners, i never said that wasnt what i believe at all. im saying that obviously dumped or stray mums with litters that are found deserve a better chance then a pound cage.

Only chipped pets? Who the hell are you to dictate what pets should have a chance to find their owners? People who decide to keep and worse sell someone else's pets? Take the animals to the pound where their owners have the chance to find them. These apparently feral animals are probably not feral at all. Feral cats are notoriously difficult to handle.

The public isn't as ignorant as you seem to think.

Edited by Sheridan

Wow after reading this thread I am very glad the people who have found my dog a couple of times after she escaped my yard during thunderstorms were honest folk. Each one of them wanted to keep my dog but called the number on the tag on her collar instead of just keeping her because I doubt they would keep her after she decided to chew up their place and would have probably ended up in a rescue where I would never have found her.

She is chipped too but no one ever checked that.

--Lhok

One thing I am wondering is how does one ascertain if a stray animal has been dumped rather than just getting itself lost somehow? Microchip status certainly doesn't ascertain this... there are still many well loved pets out there who aren't microchipped for whatever reason...

The first place a member of the public is sent to when they have lost a pet is the pound - how can an owner find their pet if it is never taken to the pound? Also, most reputable rescues will source a good number of their animals from pounds, so taking a stray there doesn't automatically sign a death warrant for an animal.

What would you have done about the "found" swf you were contacted about the other day if the caller said it wasn't microchipped TigerSpirit? I shiver to think...

T.

It makes everyone take a second look at rescue and sooner or later it means that more laws and more restriction will be on everyone to stop the loonie element. Makes all the hard work rescue does to build their profile and show they are ethical go back a step.

I'm actually not seeing any issues with tightening up the "rescue laws". Would even go so far as to say it's overdue. Ethical rescue will prosper as a result, not go back a step.

To a point I agree with you but usually introduction of new laws isn't the answer. Why not just simply police the ones we have now.Its not just about laws anyway its about the general perception of what rescue people are like and what they do that concerns me.

After a few days out, my lean dogs would look very thin and they wouldn't get brushed - theyd look like strays. I shudder at the thought of some rescuer stealing them, a with good intentions. Intentions won't bring my dogs back. People need to remember that chips move.

You could have got duty of care, put your name on her etc. Plenty of options.

Tigerspirit - O.K. I understand - you made a mistake, you now know what you can and cant do and how to better advise anyone who comes to you for advice.

You can easily advise everyone that they are to take the animal to a pound and that they can either ask the pound to allow them to hold the animal in case its owner turns up or you can advise them to contact a rescue group to tell them the animal has been dropped off there.

Any rescue which takes in any animal without paperwork and a signature to say that the person handing the dog over is their property is asking for trouble. All it takes is for the new owner to be out and about and see their dog being walked by the new owner and the poo hits the fan in a major way. Pounds have to hold the animal for a period of time before its counted as a stray for exactly that reason. perhaps it would be better to try to educate those who have lost animals on where they should go to look for them - the pounds.

I don't know of any vet that wouldn't allow you to use their chip reader to see if the dog was chipped and try to contact the owner for you.

If the owner cant be contacted or if its not chipped you contact the pound. If the owner can be contacted you can make arrangements to deliver the animal or have them come to pick it up.

So Im glad now that you know that there is no more problem and a good lesson learned.

I truly hope that you are not encouraging people to break in and steal dogs too which has also been suggested here.

I truly hope that you are not encouraging people to break in and steal dogs too which has also been suggested here.

Not a suggestion Steve... it's actually a fact, and can be proven... have printouts of the Facebook posting in question, and so do the police.

T.

Not a suggestion Steve... it's actually a fact, and can be proven... have printouts of the Facebook posting in question, and so do the police.

T.

Better pull the head in then. I can forgive a mistake but that's different.