Toe Nail Came Off

My 9 m/o today Japanese Spitz pup hurt his front side toe. It was at a strange angle & it had bled a lot. At 1st I thought he may have broken his toe. While I was bathing it in salt water he gave a little cry. I let it soak for a little while & then as I was drying his foot I noticed that the nail was hanging by a thread. I gently gave a little tug & it came off.

At 1st I thought he'd have to go to the vet in the morning, now I'm not sure. Has any ones dog lost a toenail? & did it grow back? Should I still take him to the vet? After bathing in the salt water I was going to put some Betadine on it but noticed it had a use by date of 10/10. Even though a vet had told me a few years ago that iodine lasts forever I didn't want to risk it.

Edited by luvsdogs

Jiblet lot ripped his nail off a few years ago - I'm pretty comfortable bandaging up his foot so just did that after ringing the vet to see if they would have done anything different and giving it a bit of a clean with water

it's grown back now, but it's slightly off alignment with his other toes, doesn't impede his walking/running, but I enjoy pointing it out and making fun of him

hope your little fella feels better

I took Panda to the vet this morning about his toe. After examining it she said he sure did a job on it. She said he's ripped it off at an inward scoop shape rather than straight off & it may mean that the nail won't grow back if he's ripped the quick out. She said it could also mean exposed bone which could lead to infection getting in. He has to stay inside & when he goes outside to toilet I'm to put 2 small zip lock bags on his foot to prevent dirt getting in. I have yet to try that, so far I put a patch on his foot & taped it on. While I had my back turned he had snuck outside & it came off. It still looked clean so no need to rinse it off.

I have to look out for any swelling which would mean it has closed over & the new growing nail wouldn't be able to get through which would mean surgery to remove the nail bed & bone tip & close the skin over the end. :eek: He'd still have a toe but no nail. I sure hope that doesn't happen, it's only a couple of months since he was desexed, he doesn't need another GA so soon, not to mention the cost. It cost a bomb for his anti-biotics & pain relief this morning.

Jiblet lot ripped his nail off a few years ago - I'm pretty comfortable bandaging up his foot so just did that after ringing the vet to see if they would have done anything different and giving it a bit of a clean with water

it's grown back now, but it's slightly off alignment with his other toes, doesn't impede his walking/running, but I enjoy pointing it out and making fun of him

hope your little fella feels better

Moose's is like that too, it grew back at a jaunty angle. :laugh:

Hope Panda heals up ok!

I took Panda to the vet this morning about his toe. After examining it she said he sure did a job on it. She said he's ripped it off at an inward scoop shape rather than straight off & it may mean that the nail won't grow back if he's ripped the quick out. She said it could also mean exposed bone which could lead to infection getting in. He has to stay inside & when he goes outside to toilet I'm to put 2 small zip lock bags on his foot to prevent dirt getting in. I have yet to try that, so far I put a patch on his foot & taped it on. While I had my back turned he had snuck outside & it came off. It still looked clean so no need to rinse it off.

I have to look out for any swelling which would mean it has closed over & the new growing nail wouldn't be able to get through which would mean surgery to remove the nail bed & bone tip & close the skin over the end. :eek: He'd still have a toe but no nail. I sure hope that doesn't happen, it's only a couple of months since he was desexed, he doesn't need another GA so soon, not to mention the cost. It cost a bomb for his anti-biotics & pain relief this morning.

Puck did this and exposed the bone. The nail did grow back, they're pretty hard to completely remove the roots I think, but it now grows on an annoying angle so I have to keep it trimmed for fear that he'll tear it off again because of the way it grows.

IMG_3457.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

Yep, that's about how it looks. The vet nurse rang today to see how he's going. The worst part of it is the wrapping up each time he goes out to toilet. I had him in his pen outside today on an old sheet with a patch of grass exposed. Needless to say he didn't take advantage of it. When I was taking it the pen back inside he snuck away from me & had a great time running around in the dirt with my Border Collie.

It still gets a small patch of pink blood when I wrap it for going outside. Before wrapping it this morning it looked nice & dry until I took the plastic bag off & discovered the blood. The next time I put some gauze on the toe 1st but again a small patch of blood. I guess it's all going to take time.

2 1/2 days after Panda tore his toenail off & it still bleeds slightly when he goes outside with a cover over it, at vet's instruction to keep it clean.

IMG_4927.jpg

ETA Toe near bone on bowl.

Edited by luvsdogs

I hope Panda's nail heals well, Luvsdogs.

This may not prove to be helpful for you but I once needed to keep my sister's dog "Monty" (RIP) white socks pristine clean (story of why irrelevant to this thread). I slid a plastic bag on each foot and then slid a sock over each bagged foot. These stayed on successfully at least for the supervised toilet stop. You just need to be careful as the plastic bags can be slippery, so the socks need to be nice firm elastic ones.