Please Welcome Oscar De La Wrinkles From Peiradise!

Oscar slept straight through for 8 hours but since we've been up he's already had 2 feeds and is wandering, wandering, wandering. He's obviously having a hungry, restless day. I'm going away for 4 days and my sister will take over everything so maybe he knows change is in the air? I know Stussy can already tell and I haven't even packed a bag!

First pic - well there will be a prize if you can guess which bit is his head!

Second pic a walking away shot - as close to a back ender as I could get today T!

post-33739-0-34131200-1333494787_thumb.jpg

post-33739-0-28162600-1333494797_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few days can make so much difference in rescue land! I've come home to a very non-plussed Ocsar - just like I'd popped down the shops for a bit! His eyes are clear (although an inner eyelid still seems to be covering most of his eyeball?), he has filled out a smidge and his coat seems very thick with a lot more grey and brown in it. Certainly any small hairless spots stand right out now rather than be the norm so something is working for him! It reminds me of a mountain gorilla's coat now! Character wise he's all happy and cruisy (I think he was originally referred to as a very chilled boy!) and my sister left me a note to say he likes to carry his bed in and out of the house at his own leisure. The stairs are certainly no problem for him now either.

He must still be enjoying extra meals because he is definately giving me a look to say he is expecting his lunch soon!

I'll take some more pics when I unpack from my trip and locate my camera again. Hoepfully you guys can see the difference too.

Well Oscar and I have been over to say hi to the parents, had a walk down the park and picked up the sunday paper. Now one of us is snoring his head off by the front door.

And Ams, as you can see I still can't put his harness on properly!

post-33739-0-99385300-1334449310_thumb.jpg

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

Oscar has to have the largest shmooshy face I've ever seen on a Pei... there ARE eyes in there somewhere, right? *grin*

I wish I lived near you... then I could come and plant a big kiss on that big nose of his... *sigh*

Maybe you could do it for me instead? Please? Lots of kisses on his adorable nose...

T.

Teekay it would be very heavy for him to lump around. He was 18.9kg I think but is not a "big" pei. That much wrinkle is definitely not desirable and I would sincerely doubt any breeder would be intentionally breeding for that look.

PS no real need to clean out his ears, just squirt some of the stuff in and squoosh (your terminology I believe) :D . It needs to stay in to work. You will have Malaseb soon promise.

I think I have a bottle of Malaseb left over from Ollie dog, it's yours if you want it.. I can post it up next week if you send me the address to post it to.

How does one care for a dog with such deep wrinkles? Do you put powder in them?

He's beautiful but I feel sorry for him.. he looks awkward and uncomfortable.

Me too - poor boy how can he see?

Good on you for taking him in and taking such good care of him.

Will he need a skin-tuck at some stage so he can see out?

It's all good Staffyluv - Ams has Malaseb supplies and my local groomers does very cheap Malaseb washes. I'm taking him to the groomers first as I have realised my laundry sink will not be suitable for him and our bath is too enclosed if he is not a bath fan. So first time will be at the groomers where I can comfort him if needed and if he does ok then I reckon I will do it at mum's with my sister's help. I really don't want to stress him out and have that affect his health.

T he loves his nose kisses - he gets loads so I'll add a few extra with your name on them! He has the softest squishiest nose!

HugUrPup I originally felt like you did but Oscar knows no different and manages his extra skin very well. I think the extra skin covering his eyes limits him the most when doing new things and going to new places but that is going to be addressed. It certainly doesn't stop him eating or playing! It does make him hot and it does trap fluff and grime so I check him over every day when he has his massage for any spots that are grotty or red. I think if he was protected from overheating from the weather and play, and washed regularly he would be fine and not require any powdering or special care even for his deepest wrinkles. The ones around the base of his tail are extremely deep but he is healthy within himself so has no sores or ingrown hairs. I hope my massaging also creates some air flow in those spots. I expected him to need a lot more maintenance but he requires very little extra help.

Zug Zug it is likely he will have a brow lift to help him see. He has lovely red/brown eyes under there!

Someone out there is going to adore this little man and all his extra wrinkles!

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

PS he looks so adorable sitting proper like in the car. Yes we will have to go through some harness fitting training cause you have got it on wrong again :laugh: (Hint - the fluffy bits go under his arms to stop the harness from rubbing).

He sounds like he is setting in really well.

In the last one I hope you can see how he has filled out and improved in general condition. Still loads of extra wrinkles but he is happier in himself and I think he looks much better body wise. I do wish I had a noise metre to check how many decibels he snores at though!

post-33739-0-46483400-1334721415_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Ams's Peinic yesterday and even though it felt somewhat OTT I took a fleece lined doggy raincoat with me just in case as Oscar hates the wet weather (no, he's not spoiled!). Well of course it poured and Oscar was busy pacing the fences and working out where he was, warm and dry except for his snozz. I think all the other wet dogs were terribly jealous! Their owners were probably quietly cursing as well when they went to put soggy dogs into their cars for the trip home!