What A Difference Breed Makes.

juice

I reckon it's rational, a poodle will do a lot less damage than a staffy.

Much as I like them, I'm warey of strange bull breeds because they're so bloody powerful! I dog sit a staffy and she's harder to control than my 38kg bullmastiff x because she has such a low centre of gravity :laugh: Total sweetheart, but I'm glad they don't want me to walk her :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shiner - many dogs don't like being rushed and wil respond with aggression no matter what their humans response. The behaviour you describe is considered rude by many dogs. There is far more to dog behaviour than friendly or aggressive. Small dogs in particular don't enjoy bring rushed by a dog that is 100 times stringer than them. My girl was abused and is nervous of being rushed. She would immmediatly fight back. Would your dog just stand there and take it? Sick of owners with no control blaming other owners for fights when they clearly can't control their dogs....

Shiner - many dogs don't like being rushed and wil respond with aggression no matter what their humans response. The behaviour you describe is considered rude by many dogs. There is far more to dog behaviour than friendly or aggressive. Small dogs in particular don't enjoy bring rushed by a dog that is 100 times stringer than them. My girl was abused and is nervous of being rushed. She would immmediatly fight back. Would your dog just stand there and take it? Sick of owners with no control blaming other owners for fights when they clearly can't control their dogs....

And I'm sick of sanctimonious ranters, who take things out of context, and think they are saying something important. Strawman.

One of my dogs was very badly injured when attacked by a bull breed and none of my dogs like being rushed by them, so I think it is entirely justifiable to be wary of them if they are rushing you and your dogs. Even if they are friendly, things can go pear shaped very quickly and IME if something starts they can take offence easily and are difficult to stop.

Edited by Kavik

One of my dogs was very badly injured when attacked by a bull breed and none of my dogs like being rushed by them, so I think it is entirely justifiable to be wary of them if they are rushing you and your dogs. Even if they are friendly, things can go pear shaped very quickly and IME if something starts they can take offence easily and are difficult to stop.

I totally agree, it is a very unconfortable, and often explosive situation. But I am not scared.

Fear achieves nothing. Make the Approaching dog, if not fear, at least be very wary. Dogs read body language, puff up your chest, straighten your back, lower your voice, growl, and maintain eye contact. If you do this convincingly, you take the upper hand. It also gives your dog/s more confidence, lessening their anxiety. If everyone is calmly confident, the 'rusher'

loses confidence. This is not a guarantee, but it works for me.......sometimes.

Ranting about irresponsible owners is not addressing the issue. The best trained dog, when alone and loose, (escaped) is very likely to forget his training, and employ his natural instincts.

One more time, I have not tried to justify this. The dog I mentioned is a trained hunter, and is never allowed to approach unknown dogs. Unless they trespass. She hunts "close range" which means she will be in hearing or sight range (up to 100mtrs) in open land and (<50mt) in thick bush. I can call her off anything, unless it is attacking her. To train this dog to not rush, or any dog with her intense game drive, that will be a hunter, would be to crush her spirit. A dog without spirit?

No thanks. But it does seem to be an ideal for some. They should own cats.

Edit: As such, I liken owning these dogs, to owning firearms. I consider them weapons, and take appropriate measures. They never escape. They are muzzled and short leashed in public, And they socialize very well with many breeds, big and small. They only get to 'play' with other pig dogs, as my experience tells me its the non-hunters that usually start the trouble and end up hurt.

(off topic, I know, but I feel the need to defend myself for some reason).

Edited by shiner

My personal thoughts are its rude for any dog to rush another.

My cattle will greet other dogs this way, rushing, stalking, then rushing, so he isn't allowed to do it, he goes back on lead, gets to greet calmly then i let him go.

I learnt the hard way, before i knew better my dally went over to say hello to a mini shnauzer, the guy kicked him , i was really upset, i said he won't hurt him, the guys reply was' well i don't know that do i? ".

Perfectly reasonable response and made me realise how rude it was, from then on they are not allowed to run over to any dogs.

I agree juice it is rude for a dog to rush another.

shiner, unfortunately I can get scared when rushed by another dog. The one who was attacked is dog aggressive, and while she has improved somewhat, she will react to a dog rushing her (she is walked on lead), and a full blown dog fight or her being attacked is not what I want to deal with.

Watching your dog get severely attacked and not being able to stop the other dog will effect how you view out of control dogs - and a dog rushing up to yours IS out of control, and I do sometimes get upset with the owners.

Edited by Kavik

I agree juice it is rude for a dog to rush another.

shiner, unfortunately I can get scared when rushed by another dog. The one who was attacked is dog aggressive, and while she has improved somewhat, she will react to a dog rushing her (she is walked on lead), and a full blown dog fight or her being attacked is not what I want to deal with.

Watching your dog get severely attacked and not being able to stop the other dog will effect how you view out of control dogs - and a dog rushing up to yours IS out of control, and I do sometimes get upset with the owners.

I hear you, Kavik. I have been there before many times. I have broken up/ become involved in many dogfights. Even when its not my dogs. I can't stand by and watch what they do to each other. It is heartwrenching. I lost a Rotti as a result of a fight, years ago. Had three fingers broken getting her out the other ( unknown) dogs mouth. Life sucks sometimes. We live and learn.

P.S. back to the OP, yes breed makes a lot of difference. So does size.

I own Staffords and I am definitely more concerned about being rushed by a bull breed than say a collie or lab type - for the simple fact that if a collie or lab cross type dog gets past being booted by ME I am pretty confident my dogs will take care of it. Horrible way of thinking? - sure is, but in reality that's the only way to size up an aggressive rushing dog!

I understand completely where people with smaller breeds or softer breeds are coming from when they say they are afraid of being rushed by a bull breed cross type most - they WILL do the most damage if a fight ensues and this has always got to be the first concern for anyone who cares for their own dog.

Yes it does seem to be that in many areas the loose dogs are bull breed cross types, but fifteen years ago I still had Staffords and the majority of rushing nasty dogs were ACD cross types and ten years before that, GSD cross types.

The loose dogs in my neighbourhood are SWFs or small terrier crosses (JRT/Fox Terrier types) - the big dogs/bull breeds are all well fenced.

I'm popping in here a bit late but I thought of this thread yesterday while out at the park. I only had two of mine with me and we got out of the car both mine off lead, as I pulled up I had spotted a lab with his family at the play ground a reasonable way away from us. I like to survey the area so I am aware of what is about.

As soon as mine got out of the car this lab came running at full speed. I wasn't worried as I could see by his body language he was friendly, he run up to Lacy who is quite small compared to a lab, she didn't see him at first then turned as he was sniffing her and just walked away from him, so he ran after Cooper, me still not bothered, the owners didn't care so I just started off in a different direction than the play ground. When Cooper seen the dog he was happy enough to have a sniff and says hello but the lab was persistent and wanted to play, he was in his face and badgering him to play and clearly Cooper didn't want to play, so he growled at him to back off (totally acceptable behavior IMO) and the dog did. It raised hackels and clearly not happy that Cooper wanted to go about his business but kept following him.

I was getting annoyed at this point as the owners had done nothing to come and get their dog, we were out of sight of them by this time. Finally the owner came to collect their dog, calling him with no response from the dog at all. It could have been deaf for all I know. Anyway they took it back to the playground and tied it up so it left us alone.

I can't understand if people have dogs that rush up to other dogs/people why not have them restrained. This is a scenario that i am met with frequently as we to to the open parks a lot.

I have been lucky with mine, only Cooper will like to say hello to any dog but he is such a good judge, he runs till he gets some distance away from them then he sits and watches, If the other dog or owner displays any kind of body language that isn't right he comes right back to me, if the other dog and owner is happy he goes up to say hello, all under close supervision by me of course.

I'm always wary, I've been bitten by a dog while stopping my youngest getting attacked, all dogs on lead and the owners freely admitted the dog has bitten before. :mad also my youngest girl was attacked by a group of dogs, no physical damage done apart froma scratch but she hates rushing dogs she doesn't know and while she won't attack back she chases them away.

Are dogs breedist? Mine are not a fan of bull breeds even though we have good friends who own Staffords. One they are fine with, run off lead and the other not so much, he is entire and very friendly but very dominant in his stance and kind of stands over them, which they do not like. So if we are all together they are all on lead. Unknown bull breeds and GSDs are two breeds that mine don't go anywhere near if we see them at the dog park, not even sure why as they we all socialized with both these breeds as young pups at puppy school then obedience.

I could keep raving all day about different scenarios but I guess the bottom line is some people are not dog savy and or don't care about their dog or others and let them do what they like, they don't see what can potentially can happen till it does.

To the OP I have been in your position with all 4 of mine on lead and a unknown dog came rushing up, it is a lot scarier if its a bull breed than if its a SWF. Either way it's not a nice feeling to be rushed at by an unknown dog. We pushed socialization a lot at dog school and told the clients that the more socialized the dog the less likely there is to be a fight around unknown dogs. Not sure that's always true but it helps. I know it has with mine, I consider them to have impeccable dog manners when with rushing dogs that have no manners at all.

Edited by tlc

@tlc, Its all about good manners, IMO, some people don't have them, so their dogs don't either. Thats life. We can't change it. We have to deal with it.

I have had dogs in the past that were "breedist". A Rotti, who raised hackles and growled, at the sight of any bull breed, even 100 mtrs away. Yet she was the best social dog in mixed company. I owned her from whelp, and don't remember any incident that would explain it. She never wanted to play with them.

I currently have an AST Who reacts similarly to GSD's, I have always called it 'racism', but 'breedism' is a better word.

@Sandra777

Wise words.

Edited by shiner

we had 1 incident where we were walking along the beach when a staffy (breed is besides the point) came steaming down the beach at us. I must admit

i didn't really give it much thought at first as its not uncommon at this beach, i told my dog to sit and she waited for it to come over. As it got closer i noticed it's body language wasn't good. Then coming running out of the beach access track was the dog's owner waving madly. We stood our ground and the staffy pulled up at my dog and then went at her. My dog doesn't fight and is a very friendly dog, but in circumstances like this, she will react to defend us and herself, so she reacted by standing her ground and going back at it. i Grabbed my dog, gave the staffy a boot in the backside and walked off (no one got hurt thank god).

then as we were getting in the car, the owner came over to say sorry. The owner expressed his frustration that his dog wasn't friendly to other dog's but said that it usually doesn't go charging at other dog's. I was quite peeved with him by this stage and told him that if his dog wasn't friendly around other dogs, HE SHOULDN'T BRING IT TO AN OFF LEASH BEACH

moral of the story, it is the owners responsibility to have their dog under control at all times. If you are unable to control your

dog when it's off the lead, then keep it on the lead!!!

i would like to stress, that it's got nothing to do with a particular breed. It's irresponsible owners.

just my 2 cents worth!

Edited by Ven

@Snook. I agree, and am aware, this is the point. The dog will be less inclined to go the human, and if it does I'm prepared for that. Either way, the result is my dog/s have no blame directed at them whatever happens. This is my main concern, my dogs.

I own Staffords and I am definitely more concerned about being rushed by a bull breed than say a collie or lab type - for the simple fact that if a collie or lab cross type dog gets past being booted by ME I am pretty confident my dogs will take care of it. Horrible way of thinking? - sure is, but in reality that's the only way to size up an aggressive rushing dog!

I ahve owned Rottis and Dobes in the past as well as Staffords and now have Whippets.

I know exactly what you are saying. The first three breeds are less likley to end up severely injured or dead if a fight does break out. The Whippets well if they were on lead and attacked they would be in big trouble very quickly. If off lead and they bolt, hit by car, lost etc etc.

I did not worry when walking the Rotti's, Dobes or Staffords as much as I do walking the Whippets. I am far more defensive and far more likely to swing a boot if they get anywhere near close enough.

A dog that rushed up to mine regardless of if the owner said it was friendly, would get the same response as an aggressive one. Allowing your dog to rush just because she is the breed she is and you think she is friendly enough , is rude and irresponsible.

Yes, breed makes a huge difference.

I have a DA oodle at home. She looks completely sweet and friendly. She is in fact a great dog, but she is not good with most dogs she doesn't know.

The number of times I've tried to tell people to keep their dogs away, no she's not friendly, please keep your dog away, NO SERIOUSLY SHE'S REALLY NOT FRIENDLY YOU NEED TO GET YOUR DOG AWAY, NO YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO ME...!

I always keep her on lead in public. But so often people just will not believe me until their dog has just about jumped all over her and she has finally lunged and snapped.

Then they get their dog away.

But yes she's only small so no damage done. And I'm not pretending this is an equivalent situation to an off-lead staffy or pittie charging towards me across a park. There is a difference and the main one is my oodle weighs 9kg soaking wet.

Some dogs are capable of doing more damage than others. And some dogs on the receiving end are going to at least have a chance to live or defend themselves. Some will not. Having a small breed dog now has given me a greater understanding of the fear people experience when a dog capable of doing serious damage rushes them. Dogs rushing my JRT worry me more than my other bigger dogs because of the smaller margin for error.