Dock Diving In Sydney

Does anyone know if there is a Dock Diving Club or similar for dogs in Sydney? I have a fantastic Lab youngster who is not only a fabulous retriever in both water and on land but he just loves retrieving in the water, his most favourite activity and he launches himself into the water with great gusto everytime :laugh: whenever I throw one of his retrieving objects into the water. He never tires of retrieving in the water and has never ever failed to retrieve an object thrown into the water time after time after time and would retrieve all day in the water if I let him, he absolutely loves it. I belong to a US Lab forum and Dock Diving is a big sport over there and of course lots of labs participate, so just wondering if it has ever got off the ground here in Australia, and Sydney in particular since they had those world championships (think that is what they were??) a couple of years back?

Does anyone know if there is a Dock Diving Club or similar for dogs in Sydney? I have a fantastic Lab youngster who is not only a fabulous retriever in both water and on land but he just loves retrieving in the water, his most favourite activity and he launches himself into the water with great gusto everytime :laugh: whenever I throw one of his retrieving objects into the water. He never tires of retrieving in the water and has never ever failed to retrieve an object thrown into the water time after time after time and would retrieve all day in the water if I let him, he absolutely loves it. I belong to a US Lab forum and Dock Diving is a big sport over there and of course lots of labs participate, so just wondering if it has ever got off the ground here in Australia, and Sydney in particular since they had those world championships (think that is what they were??) a couple of years back?

At this time, nothing is available, although rumour has it that the person owning the Australian franchise might be getting something going in north western Sydney. I am not "close to the source" of the rumours - but I believe it might happen.

Cheers,

I've spoken to the guys who are planning to start this up in Sydney. So it's happening... Not sure of the exact timing though.

OK thanks - hopefully their plans will be announced on DOL closer to it happening :) - do you think it will be in the next 12 months?

Edited by labadore

I've spoken to the guys who are planning to start this up in Sydney. So it's happening... Not sure of the exact timing though.

OK thanks - hopefully their plans will be announced on DOL closer to it happening :) - do you think it will be in the next 12 months?

I believe that's the plan!

Hey TerraNik, I live in Western Sydney and I was driving up one of our local streets the other day and noticed a Dock Dogs sign out the front.

Can you please tell me the name of the person or the area so I know if its this one.

PM is fine.

Its happening at Box Hill Lodge on Terry Rd at Box Hill. Signs are out the front but there is no contact number. Doesnt look like its quite finished yet and I dont know the exact start date. I trial greyhounds on the same property and have been watching the progress over the last few weeks

Its happening at Box Hill Lodge on Terry Rd at Box Hill. Signs are out the front but there is no contact number. Doesnt look like its quite finished yet and I dont know the exact start date. I trial greyhounds on the same property and have been watching the progress over the last few weeks

There was something on Facebook about them having an open day on ANZAC day!

Not sure about cross posting but this was the email supplied

[email protected]

Kelly Messenger

Hi all,

Once the Dock dogs coordinator has access to dogz online she will post more details about the event. Please see posting from facebook or you can email Kelly privately [email protected].

Please see copied posting below:

Hi all you Dock Diving hopefuls, I have some exciting news! The pool has been set up and is ready to go! DockDogs Sydney will have a "Soft Opening" on Anzac Day.

The opening is at 66 Terry Road, Box Hill, in behind the Box Hill Lodge dog boarding facility. The pool will be open to the public from 10am until 4pm. It will cost $20 per person for an "All You Can Jump" with your dog. There will only be 50 jumping spots available so please email me to lock in a spot.

We look forward to seeing everyone on Wednesday April 25th, and a free sausage sizzle lunch will be provided for anyone with a jumping spot.

My email:

[email protected]

Kelly Messenger

Thanks so much to everybody who has posted info regarding the Terry Road, Box Hill location and open day on Anzac Day it is much appreciated. How exciting that this open day is next week :thumbsup: can't believe it is actually happening now. :whee::happydance::happydance2::dancingelephant:

The day before I started this thread I had taken my two lab boys out to the Hawkesbury River at Windsor which is where I normally take them for a swim and my youngster never fails to make me laugh with his enthusiasm for retrieving in the water and whilst we were at the river I started thinking about Dock Diving and how I really would love to get him involved with something he does so naturally and with such enthusiasm and just loves it so much. It makes me so happy watching him do what he was bred to do and enjoys so much - retrieving in the water. I have sent an email to Kelly to book a spot, so :crossfingers: we get a spot. If we secure a jumping spot, will be very interesting to see how he will handle jumping into the water from a height :) hopefully he won't be let down by his inexperienced handler :laugh:

I would love to get into this- but I only own scardy dogs that don't DOOOOO water!! I might have some more luck with the pups but I won't hold my breath!!

Kinda tempted to rock up and see some of the action though.....

I really would love to get him involved with something he does so naturally and with such enthusiasm and just loves it so much. It makes me so happy watching him do what he was bred to do and enjoys so much - retrieving in the water.

Thought about trying retrieving trials? You can really watch him do what he was bred to do there :thumbsup: Dock diving is great fun for the water loving dogs too :)

We are lucky that we have it in our own backyard :) But I have often wondered if proper "sport" dock diving may not be good for the dog's health/joints etc :confused: It must put a big load on their bodies.

IMG_2043.jpg