Has Anyone Had A Litter After A Puss Coloured Discharge

Fordogs

My girl is day 35 post mating, Friday she had quite an abnormal discharge, was puss coloured but also a pink tinge.

She is now on high dose antibiotics and was booked for surgery tomorrow. I intend to have an ultrasound done, just to be sure that 1) she is not 2) she is pregnant.

The discharge has stopped completely and she is bouncing of walls happy, eating as she was prior to the discharge, no elevated temp. and she has continued to look pregnant.

I realize that she could still have a pyo and puss could be building up but I am just so sure that she is still carrying puppies.

I was having nightmares about her last night, having surgery and finding healthy fetuses.

Wish me good luck for tomorrow please.

Hello

I had a pregnant bitch have a nasty pus coloured discharge appear approx 10 days before whelping date. She was scanned & put on antibiotics and produced 4 healthy although small puppies. Puppies all survived and grew into healthy dogs.

Hope this gives you some hope & also hope you have positive outcome, all the best for tomorrows ultrasound.

Yes, I've seen several litters born after the nastiest looking discharge.

All were treated with AB's, and all went onto whelp healthy litters.

Of course have seen the opposite as well, as long as you & your vet are in close consult, and appropriate meds are being used for a possibly pregnant bitch.

all fingers crossed for a healthy bitch and litter for you.

fifi

I know of a JRT bitch that got an open Pyo a few weeks after being mated.

She was treated with a long course of antibiotics and was told there is no chance she will be pregnant after this. at around the 6 to 7 week post mating mark they ahd to change their tune and at the right time she had 5 or 6 perfectly healthy babies who thrived.

She never got the infection back, even after another mating and subsequent litter down the track.

Yep. I had one girl who scared the life out of me. She jumped up to greet me one day and this absolute POOL of pus hit the concrete underneath her. I almost had a cow. Raced her to the vets. She was treated with ABs and whelped a healthy litter a month later.

I'm having a similar worry atm, one week to go and we have a dark brown/black discharge. Vet check and scan could only see 2 heart beats of the 3 or 4 pups who were seen on earlier scan. Didn't want to give her antibiotics at this stage and said she should whelp in the next day or 2 - that was on saturday and we still have the discharge and a very relaxed hopefully mum to be.

Yes! the first time and treated with AB's and she had 11 pups! With this last litter though the swab showed some nasty bugs, she was put on some heavier duty AB's and i was worried there would be no pups but she had 6 big healthy babies!

Hope your girl will be ok!

Some good news and some bad

Good is she does not have a pyometra

Bad .. No puppies on the ultrasound so she may have aborted.

Oh well I have to be grateful for her beautiful daughter from her last litter. Thank Dog I kept her.

Some good news and some bad

Good is she does not have a pyometra

Bad .. No puppies on the ultrasound so she may have aborted.

Oh well I have to be grateful for her beautiful daughter from her last litter. Thank Dog I kept her.

Sorry to hear there are no puppies, but pleased your girl is OK.

Yes, becks I hate to continue to dream BUT saying that my last litter >> ultrasound, same reader said 5 she delivered 9.

This female only ever has 2 or 3 puppies so yes it is possible that one could be missed.

I don't know, some people say why continue to breed a female that gives so few puppies but for me it is about that great quality that some produce, not about the potential $$$$ for a litter of 12.

Yes, becks I hate to continue to dream BUT saying that my last litter >> ultrasound, same reader said 5 she delivered 9.

This female only ever has 2 or 3 puppies so yes it is possible that one could be missed.

I don't know, some people say why continue to breed a female that gives so few puppies but for me it is about that great quality that some produce, not about the potential $$ for a litter of 12.

I think "those people" ought to hear about the breeds that don't actually produce large litters.....

For peace of mind, if you think the ultrasound person missed something, get an x-ray at what would have been the 8 week mark. If she's resorbed her puppies, she'll start to deflate in the next couple of weeks. It takes a little while for the uterus to contract. (Been there and done this....). X-ray will confirm if you think she may still be pregnant.

• 2 weeks later...

My girl had a similar discharge after being in season. The vet put her on antibiotics and two days later we had to rush her to another Vet (some 56 Klms away). He immediately put her on a drip and operated. She had a pyrometra, he said that the entire uterus was full of pus and there was no change of saving the uterus. Therefore, no breeding from our beautiful girl but we save her life.