Breed Misidentification

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite was when I had a guy say to me "Wow, I love your Malamutes!" I was walking my Siberian Husky and Leonberger at the time! I just said "Thanks". It's easier than having the Leonberger conversation.... And my Leo has been identified as everything from a GSD/Goldie cross to a ...... well.... a Malamute :laugh:.

Hi all

When we adopted our beautiful Bundy, the vet said to us when we asked about dogs needing adoption that she had a staffy cross, would we like a look.

When she bought her out, Bundy stood on her hind legs and put her front paws fairly close to the top of my hubbys chest. He stands about six-four. But she was brindle :D

Looking at WA rescue pups at the moment pups from Canarvon (North west WA - High number of aboriginal communities) the are described as kelpie/cattle dog etc etc x Pilbara Special. :)

Bella's usually called a 'hairy Greyhound' or a 'shaved Afghan'. The strangest guess I've had so far is 'Greyhound x Shih Tzu'. I usually just tell people that Salukis are in the same group as Afghans and Greyhounds, and are quite similar.

Bella's usually called a 'hairy Greyhound' or a 'shaved Afghan'. The strangest guess I've had so far is 'Greyhound x Shih Tzu'. I usually just tell people that Salukis are in the same group as Afghans and Greyhounds, and are quite similar.

Now, that's the kind of breed combination identification my boyfriend would be responsible for. Hm, looks like it has some wolfhound in it, it must be a wolfound x jack russell. Oh, that one's got the same markings as Toby, he must be a mastiff x poodle. :rofl:

Edited by Alkhe

I'm looking at the very long, very skinny tail in T's puppy photos and can't help but wonder if there's a smidge of whippet... other 'pointy sighthound' characteristics wouldn't necessarily manifest until they were a bit older.

Ah, the perfect thread to vent about what I just saw at a pet store yesterday. I stopped in at the store down the street, forgetting it was the one that carries puppies for some reason, and couldn't resist going to look at what they had at the back. They had plenty of reasonably labeled puppies, but then I saw retriever X Labrador. If I hadn't been in a bit of a rush, I would have talked to one of the people in the store about that label. What kind of retriever? Golden, flat-coated, curly-coated? Besides the fact that Labrador *Retrievers* are in fact retrievers themselves. So many people make this mistake, and it drives me mental. I'm glad others are in the same boat.

But, with the need for people to label their dogs as something, I must admit I'm guilty. When we first picked up our pup, I Googled images of puppies for hours because it was like solving a mystery haha. I'm glad I finally decided on something, since everyone who sees her asks what she is. We ended up going with ACD X Aussie Shepherd, based on her markings, her personality, and a some photos I found of "Texas Heelers" online :). Feel free to voice your opinion if you have one. Just don't say corgi! Driving me nuts that everyone sees her ears and long body and says corgi--some even think purebred. I don't think they understand how short little corgi legs actually are.

But, anyways, here's our poor little mislabeled pup, Loki:

post-39475-0-13038500-1335104814_thumb.jpg

Pet shops are far worse for getting breeds wrong. During puppy classes, I remember having many "guess the breed" games with other instructors. We finally settled on kelpie x and asked the owner. We knew it was petshop puppy when told it was a GSDx - paws were about 2cm long at 6mths and it was less than knee high.

Only breed mix up I get with my dog is asked "Is it a GSD or alsation, oh and what's the difference?"

:laugh: Only last weekend when going into Baby Puppy in Group at a Show the Steward called out "King Charles Spaniel" for the Cavalier. I softly muttered "Cavalier" under my breath.

It happens ALL the time and it's no biggy really but there is probably a King Charles Spaniel owner out there that is probably being told "No, that's not a Purebred King Charles Spaniel! It must be crossed with a pug to get that flat face. :banghead:

But, with the need for people to label their dogs as something, I must admit I'm guilty. When we first picked up our pup, I Googled images of puppies for hours because it was like solving a mystery haha. I'm glad I finally decided on something, since everyone who sees her asks what she is. We ended up going with ACD X Aussie Shepherd, based on her markings, her personality, and a some photos I found of "Texas Heelers" online :). Feel free to voice your opinion if you have one. Just don't say corgi! Driving me nuts that everyone sees her ears and long body and says corgi--some even think purebred. I don't think they understand how short little corgi legs actually are.

But, anyways, here's our poor little mislabeled pup, Loki:

post-39475-0-13038500-1335104814_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry I don't see any Aussie Shep in there.

I do see more ACD x Corgi though.

Just because pure Corgis have short legs dosn't mean a X bred corgi wont have longers ones.

I had a corgi x terrier as a kid and he had the terrier long legs with the corgi ears, body. He was a funny lookng little dog but sweet.

Huh, that does look surprisingly similar, but here are the pictures of the ACD X Aussie I was basing my decision on. She had the fluffier hair when she was younger, as well as being darker, she has since lighted and gotten more of the ACD hair.

Also, she was bred out in rural north QLD, not sure about the prevalence of corgi's out there.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, because most of the pictures I found of other ACD X Corgis, you can definitely see it in their bodies when they get older. I'd prefer, Aussie, but we'll love her no matter what she ends up as :p

post-39475-0-67099400-1335167936_thumb.jpg

iYQ_5RX9G-.jpg

All those puppies were bred in the US to be "Texas Heelers" :D

It's interesting that so many people saw corgi, since it never even occurred to me--probably part of the reason so many dogs are mislabeled.

Have you got a side on standing photo of Loki so we can get an indication of her size and structure?

She definitely has the most adorable face... *grin*

T.

Thanks! We think so too. We get so many compliments/comments on her little black eyes, we absolutely love her facial markings. Well, these were the best photos I could find/get--turns out it's hard to get puppies to do what you want in pictures :p. I'll happily accept if you all think she is in fact crossed with corgi, I was just so surprised everyone saw no Aussie shepherd when heaps of the pictures I found of crosses had very similar markings. It's true some could have been wrong themselves, but I did fine some sites that specifically were breeding for ACD X Aussie as a working dog.

post-39475-0-66337500-1335171785_thumb.jpg

Also, she was bred out in rural north QLD, not sure about the prevalence of corgi's out there.

I'd think you would be more likely to find a corgi out there than an aussie LOL Aussies aren't exactly the dog of choice for Australian conditions. You would be looking at border collies, kelpies, ACDs and koolies as your main working dogs.

We spent yesterday at the animal expo and why my two fluffy show bred BCs get referred to as kelpies is beyond me :rofl:. Its not the first time a stranger has come up and asked me if they are kelpies either :laugh:.