Breed Misidentification

Is it just me seeing lots of Koolie in those ears and eyes??

There's a larger breed dog (or dogs) in the mix there somewhere though. The biggest pup is nearly twice the weight my Wheaten was when I picked him up at 8 weeks, and he's a large medium dog (19.5 kg & 48cms).

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We sat at the Royal all day UNDER the breed sign, and every single person asked what they were.

I see a lot of crosses that would make excellent pure breds and vice versa. Esp in the small white (or not so white) fluffy category!

lolololol

TRY sitting under a BREED sign and a 6ft high banner and a smaller SIGN especially made and they still go

"Whats that!"

My friends lost their voices over the three days we were there, but well worth it for all the lovely people we got to meet, even the pound lady who took some information, "in case one escaped and came to her pound in NSW!" I advised her be a long run from WA but NSW but she was kind enough to say "You never know" and she is very right!

Yes but Xolo is really HARD to say! Even I could not say it properly eek1.gif

But then again at the start of the day we also had Bedlington Terrier above some of the other Keeshonds! Confusing? Just a little!

My Greyhound bitch is on the small side (25kg) and I often get asked is she a Greyhound x Whippet (I was even asked that when passing a GAP stall :laugh: ) I just explain that she is small for the breed but she is a pure Greyhound, she is tattooed and she did once race.

I do get people stop me in the street to talk about racing though and it doesn't usually go down in their favour. A couple of weeks ago I had a fella try to convince me to breed her because I can make lots of money of a pup if it's a winner! I asked him "but what about all the other pups in the litter that are not good at racing?" and he said "just sell 'em or give 'em away to people!". He copped a piece of my mind after that :D

The brindle pup looks a lot like Flow (except she only has 1 blue eye), who belongs to DOLer "nikivds". Flow is a suspected staffy x koolie and is much smaller than these guys will be but doesn't mean it can't be amstaff instead (plus all those other breeds thrown in to make these little guys).

Lots of working breeds can have blue eyes, one of the the pups in our last litter (working border collies) has a blue eye.

I used to have a lovely black dog called Ralph. As he was rescued from a shopping centre drain as a pup , we had no idea of his parentage. He probably had a lot of BC and shepherd in him, but when asked I usually labelled him a Western Sydney Black Dog - you know , the sort you could find in a backyard in most streets of western Sydney. A highly recommended breed by the way!

Now that they have tails, I just say lab cross. It gets a lot more people to pat them. Thanks to the media a lot of people are scared of Rotts.

I met the best Rott the other night. SOO happy, this little girl just wanted to love everyone and everything in her path. The poor guy said he has so much trouble because people just freak out because of her breed. Poor poppet!

Try owning a WSSD, I get told a different breed every time I leave the house. Although I think there is every chance my dog is part turkey! Since the bitch has come into heat the OH has dubbed him a new breed of 'Whine-erama!' laugh.gif

I could stretch to Koolie/Kelpie cross for the brindle boy, but really don't want to list Dingo as part of the breed mix on the chip database - do you think we could be safe listing them as ACD/Kelpie? Prospective new owners would be appraised of the Dingo possibility in their genetics.

They are the sweetest pups, very friendly and playful. Whoever "bred" and raised them to this stage didn't neglect them socially... which is always a bonus... it certainly makes my job as a foster carer much easier when we get well adjusted pups into care... *grin*

T.

I could stretch to Koolie/Kelpie cross for the brindle boy, but really don't want to list Dingo as part of the breed mix on the chip database - do you think we could be safe listing them as ACD/Kelpie? Prospective new owners would be appraised of the Dingo possibility in their genetics.

They are the sweetest pups, very friendly and playful. Whoever "bred" and raised them to this stage didn't neglect them socially... which is always a bonus... it certainly makes my job as a foster carer much easier when we get well adjusted pups into care... *grin*

T.

the Dingo breed appears on the ANKC register of dogs in the numerically reg breeds database.

T there is an option on the CAR for 'unknown' when entering breed and I've looked up dogs that were chipped as unknown x unknown so I'm assuming you can chip them as such (I'm not an authorized identifier so can't say for sure, just based on what I've seen on the CAR)

I think you probably need something with a mask and neither kelpies nor cattles have that.

Given that there is brindle as well...

I'd be inclined to go with kelpie x staffy as the main 2 breeds. Fits with the physique and physical colouring for all pups. I've known a few kelpie/staffy mixes that look very similar to these guys. Obviously there are probably countless other breeds in there but they would fit as the dominant breeds just going by appearance.

My rescue Pyrenean Liza Jane was listed by the pound as a Shepherd! She was VERY lucky that someone who knew what they were looking at visited and she was pulled the day she was due to be put down. Mislabelling/misidentification can sometimes mean a dog can be missed.

Pyrs aren't that common so I understand people will get the name wrong (calling them a Maremma is par for the course a lot of the time, and I do understand that one a little). I have had them called Newfies or Saints too. The ones that for some reason get up my nose though is when they get called a Labrador or Golden Retriever (or a Lab or Golden X)!

Many a Royal show I have thought I needed a sign with a picture of a Pyr beside a Golden and Lab so I could point out how different they are! :eek:

I'd have thought staffordshire x coolie, with those markings, ears and eyes. With lots of other things, including gorgeous! Maybe some shepherd, maybe some dingo, maybe some kelpie. I'd think a koolie would be more likely to be in the background of a crossbred than an Aussie would, especially with those ears as well.

That blue eyed boy is :heart:

The Mastiff thing drives me completely nuts. The rule seems to be: it's its brown or red = mastiff x. Brindle = staffy cross. A bit hairy = Wolfhound X. Fluffy = Malt or Shih Tzu X.

But as a rescuer the breed thing is hard because people insist on knowing, even if we tell them it's just a best guess. A lot of the dogs we get are clearly the progeny of several generations of mixed breed dogs; which is fun because you often get some gorgeous and very much one-of-a-kind dogs, but people still want you to guess a breed. Even when we try to be generic, such as "small hound" or something for dogs which are clearly houndish in type you get asked about what kind of hound.

One of our adopters did one of those genetic mutt tests for a puppy she adopted from us. The results are bizarre and I have a lot of trouble believing they are anything close to accurate.

These are the puppies, the pound listed them as GSD x!

post-1835-0-24478500-1334893036_thumb.jpg

These are the two girls at about six months, they're bout about the size of smallish Kelpies, so medium dogs.

Etta

post-1835-0-24919500-1334893178_thumb.jpg

Elsa

post-1835-0-30152200-1334893186_thumb.jpg

We listed them as Whippet X terrier. They had very houndish body shapes but hairy coats.

Etta's owner did the mutt test and the results came back as .... have a guess before you read on!

Grandparents 1: Irish Wolfhound + Mini Bull Terrier Grandparents 2: Koolie + Koolie

Even allowing for the sheer physical impediments to the first mating, both breeds are relatively uncommon, so it seems very unlikely.

I had a Flat Coated Retriever in the early 80's where I think at the time there were only two or three Flatcoat breeders in the country. She was quite breed unique back then but never once in her 13 years of life did anyone correctly identify her, she was mostly indentified as a LabX or sometimes a Gordon Setter by the supposedly more breed knowledged people :laugh: a long haired Labrador or a black Golden Retriever were other indentifications she often had with people who like to guess breeds, she was a fun dog to have then in the breed identification stakes :D

The Mastiff thing drives me completely nuts. The rule seems to be: it's its brown or red = mastiff x. Brindle = staffy cross. A bit hairy = Wolfhound X. Fluffy = Malt or Shih Tzu X.

But as a rescuer the breed thing is hard because people insist on knowing, even if we tell them it's just a best guess. A lot of the dogs we get are clearly the progeny of several generations of mixed breed dogs; which is fun because you often get some gorgeous and very much one-of-a-kind dogs, but people still want you to guess a breed. Even when we try to be generic, such as "small hound" or something for dogs which are clearly houndish in type you get asked about what kind of hound.

One of our adopters did one of those genetic mutt tests for a puppy she adopted from us. The results are bizarre and I have a lot of trouble believing they are anything close to accurate.

These are the puppies, the pound listed them as GSD x!

post-1835-0-24478500-1334893036_thumb.jpg

These are the two girls at about six months, they're bout about the size of smallish Kelpies, so medium dogs.

Etta

post-1835-0-24919500-1334893178_thumb.jpg

Elsa

post-1835-0-30152200-1334893186_thumb.jpg

We listed them as Whippet X terrier. They had very houndish body shapes but hairy coats.

Etta's owner did the mutt test and the results came back as .... have a guess before you read on!

Grandparents 1: Irish Wolfhound + Mini Bull Terrier Grandparents 2: Koolie + Koolie

Even allowing for the sheer physical impediments to the first mating, both breeds are relatively uncommon, so it seems very unlikely.

Splurk. If you DNA test a Wolfhound the result doesnt say Wolfhound. But somehow the grandparents are Wolfhounds??

That proves what a ripoff these tests are. Save your $s and play 'guess what'. More fun, as accurate and way cheaper.

Meea

I'm not seeing any staffy in these babies - they are way too finely built. I can definitely see working line builds of ACD, Kelpie, and maybe Koolie (allows for the blue eyes on the ACD or Koolie cross).

Their coats are short, but longer and definitely different to staffy or any of the other bull-type breed coats. Trust me, I see LOTS of bull-breed crosses in rescue... lol! If there was any "staffy" in these pups, it would be a heck of a long way back in the genes.

I'd be surprised if these pups fully grown will be any more than about 15 kgs and just below knee height to me - which would definitely put them into the "medium" dog category.

Whatever they are breed-wise, they are lovely natured and happy little munchkins... with just the right amount of cheek to make them virtually irresistible... *grin*

T.