Help! Labrador Puppy Vomiting/diarrhoea

my 5.5 month old lab puppy had an extra busy day today, playing with 2 other dogs and as a result is exhausted, she also ate a bit more then usual also today. throughout the day she was fine, showed no signs of sickness. but now has vomited twice and had diarrhoea twice in 30 mins. the diarrhoea was literally like brown water, whereas the first vomit was thick with a bit of undigested food, the second runny (sorry for the graphic description), her stomach is also making all sorts of funny noises. My question is, can exhaustion make a dog physically ill like this? or should I be more concerned? she is still drinking small ammounts of water, and is now sleeping. if she keeps vomiting i think i will have to take her to the emergency vet. i am really really worried for my puppy, this is the first time this has ever happened.

Hi ...poor puppy , that doesn't sound good.

I suggest you go to a vet now , in case it gets worse overnight ...

It may just be a short lived tummy bug , it also may be something which needs treatment by a vet.

Also, let the owners of your dog's friends know .

Hope all is well by morning ...

did you feed her as soon as you got back from running around? could it be bloat? :(

no she hasnt been fed since running around. she had her meal in the morning as usual but lots of treats throughout the day, with the other dogs, more then usual. she ate at about 830 this morning and just snacks after that. i wont b feeding her tonight. pretty sure its not bloat, her stomach isnt hard or distended and doesnt seem to hurt to touch. she isnt showing signs of pain. just sick.

Hi ...poor puppy , that doesn't sound good.

I suggest you go to a vet now , in case it gets worse overnight ...

It may just be a short lived tummy bug , it also may be something which needs treatment by a vet.

Also, let the owners of your dog's friends know .

Hope all is well by morning ...

hi thank you for ur advice. my partner gets home at 10- 1030. if she vomits agaain between now and then we will definitely b taking her to the vet. i think i will let her sleep for now and see if she feels better after that.

Speaking from very recent experience, a call to the vet at the very least will put your mind at ease. Better to call now than in the middle of the night. It could very well be nothing, but better to be safe than sorry.

Could the pup have eaten something today she shouldn't have?

My Lab is in hospital tonight on a drip after gorging herself on a decomposing sheep carcass yesterday and vomiting all night :( I know how worried you must be. In my case, a call to the vet at midnight put my mind at ease, and I had her in at the vet first thing this morning.

ETA It could just be a case of too much good stuff (treats) and lots of running around for your pup and with rest and no food for 24 hours, she will feel much better, but again, probably best to ring the vet just in case.

Link to info about vomiting and diarrhea in Labradors

Edited by lilli_star

When Kenzie was a baby she had a sudden onset of vomiting and diarrhoea, it turned out to likely be food poisoning (possibly from an old bone buried in the yard).

But I would go to the vet asap. Within about 6 hours of this starting with Kenz she was dehydrated and becoming lethargic - dehydration will kill a pup quicker than you think. She was given an anti-nausea shot and also was put on lectade (she drank 2L of this in about 18 hours and she was only about 6kg so should only have been drinking around 600ml every 24 hours) to get her electrolytes and hydration level back up. I would be hesitant about waiting it out with a puppy.

Edited by Pretty Miss Emma

my 5.5 month old lab puppy had an extra busy day today, playing with 2 other dogs and as a result is exhausted, she also ate a bit more then usual also today. throughout the day she was fine, showed no signs of sickness. but now has vomited twice and had diarrhoea twice in 30 mins. the diarrhoea was literally like brown water, whereas the first vomit was thick with a bit of undigested food, the second runny (sorry for the graphic description), her stomach is also making all sorts of funny noises. My question is, can exhaustion make a dog physically ill like this? or should I be more concerned? she is still drinking small ammounts of water, and is now sleeping. if she keeps vomiting i think i will have to take her to the emergency vet. i am really really worried for my puppy, this is the first time this has ever happened.

Has she had anything to drink since then?

Has she had anything to drink since then?

she has been drinking water a lot today and since she has been sick. if she goes off her water ill b taking her straight to the vet

Not saying that the OP should not take the dog to the vet if she feels it is needed but I am curious as to why the immediate reaction to a dog who has thrown up and had a runny stool is to take it to the vet.

I could understand it if it had happened a couple of times and the dog was lethargic/ not itself etc. My dog threw up earlier today - I've simply withheld his next meal and made sure he is still drinking - I don't see the need to rush off to the vet.

Sometimes it can be more than just a sickly feeling tummy, with the runs aswell especially if it's watery i would be worried about it being Gastro and they can get very ill and dehydrated from that.

Hope it's nothing, but better to be safe than sorry.

If she has been vomiting then you would be best to restrict her fluid intake for a while as peristalsis (sp) means once you start to vomit what goes down will automatically come back up and puppy will just get more dehydrated.

If she has been vomiting then you would be best to restrict her fluid intake for a while. as peristalsis (sp) means once you start to vomit what goes down will automatically come back up and puppy will just get more dehydrated.

peristalsis (sp) means; ????

Vomiting is a reflex action, whereas

Peristalsis is a distinctive pattern of smooth muscle contractions that propels foodstuffs distally through the esophagus and intestines.

You sound like my Vet. :D

Edited by Tralee

The key factors for me saying go to the vet are watery diarrhoea, vomiting as well & puppy. If it wasn't this combination I'd be less inclined to say vet. When Kenz did this as a baby I was fairly convinced she wasn't going to wake up after her sleep & we were on strict instructions of get her to emergency if there was anymore symptoms at all - & my vet doesn't over react to anything I've seen so far.

Hope pup is OK this morning, and it was just just a temporary thing.

why the immediate reaction to a dog who has thrown up and had a runny stool is to take it to the vet.

Pup , vomiting, watery diarrhoea, weekend.

When hamlet had a blockage ..he threw up 3 times, had a couple of very watery motions , but aside from that, was racing around like a loon.

I took him to the vet straight away , and was glad I did.

just leeting u all know my puppy is a lot better this morning. we called the vet and they said if she isnt better by morning to take her in. she is still a little tired but no vomit or diarrhoea since 930 last night. her stoolss are starting to go back to normal and she has had a small amount of food. i will continue to keep a clos eeye on her but i think she is going to b just fine. thanks for all advice :)

Not saying that the OP should not take the dog to the vet if she feels it is needed but I am curious as to why the immediate reaction to a dog who has thrown up and had a runny stool is to take it to the vet.

I could understand it if it had happened a couple of times and the dog was lethargic/ not itself etc. My dog threw up earlier today - I've simply withheld his next meal and made sure he is still drinking - I don't see the need to rush off to the vet.

dehydration- which may not be apparent to everyone.

Electrolytes become unbalanced quickly with both vomiting and diarrhoea which can cause other problems

Both those are enough- if it continued for me to take my dog to the vet and have it put on a drip.

My dogs don't automatically go to the vet if they vomit or have diarrhoea- if they do both then I am READY to take them to the vet and make sure they are supervised. I have taken one dog to the vet as soon as I noticed vomiting because she was severely off colour and I had been out for a couple of hours so had no idea how long she had been ill for. Another dog went to the vet with similar symptoms and was on pancreatitis watch for 48hrs. My dogs do vomit and have loose stools but if they are bright and bouncy and its a one off then it shouldn't be a cause for alarm/trip to the vet.

The biggest problem with the internet is that we can't actually see the dog- so I generally say go to the vet 90% of the time because you don't know if the situation is worse than being described. Also will the average owner know if the mucous membranes are tacky (indication of dehydration) what the capillary refill time is, heart rate and temperature? I check all those before I go to the vet but I don't expect joe blow to know how to do it- so better to have them checked by a professional.

The pup keeping water down to me in this situation made me think that it was probably ok to watch and wait- not being able to keep water down + vomiting + diarrhoea is another of those 'off to the vet' signs.

Glad your pup is doing better CB!!

Edited by Jumabaar

If she has been vomiting then you would be best to restrict her fluid intake for a while. as peristalsis (sp) means once you start to vomit what goes down will automatically come back up and puppy will just get more dehydrated.

peristalsis (sp) means; ????

Vomiting is a reflex action, whereas

Peristalsis is a distinctive pattern of smooth muscle contractions that propels foodstuffs distally through the esophagus and intestines.

You sound like my Vet. :D

But reverse peristalsis, or retroperistalsis is certainly involved in the vomiting reflex and is the reason why in true vomiting (as opposed to regurg) you may see bile staining as the contents of the proximal duodenum are also ejected. However, it does not mean that the gut is constantly in reverse peristalsis and the animal won't be able to hold fluids down (obviously this can happen and is a serious situation which requires medical attention)

I do not think withholding fluids from a dog with vomiting or diarhhoea is a good idea. If it is so severe that the pup can't keep any fluids down they need to be at the vet, on intravenous fluids. Especially when they have concurrent diarhhoea and ongoing fluid losses from this as well.

Witholding food for 24 hours is fine, then start back on small bland meals frequently (like chicken and rice or similar).

I would be concerned if my dog had continual vomiting to the point where it couldn't keep water down. One or two vomits doesn't usually concern me as long as she is still drinking and urinating fine and appears to be alert and responsive and interested in food (although even though my dog was on death's door, she was still interested in food when offered, so I don't take this as meaning all is ok anymore!). I usually withold food for 8-12 hours if I think its a simple GIT upset or dietary indiscretion. Vomiting and very watery diarhhoea would concern me slightly more.

ETA= didn't see your update :o

Glad your vet was able to advise and glad your pup is doing better.

Edited by aussielover