I Think It's Nearly Time For Lilly

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Lilly ate all her breakfast this morning! But she's still not very mobile and exhibiting signs of pain, and that concerns me as she's been crated since Monday and she's only out of the crate for on-lead toilet breaks. :(

I'll see how she goes until the metacam runs out (about a week)...unless she tells me sooner.

I don't want to come across as heartless, but why are you waiting??

Well, Lilly ate all her breakfast this morning! But she's still not very mobile and exhibiting signs of pain, and that concerns me as she's been crated since Monday and she's only out of the crate for on-lead toilet breaks. :(

I'll see how she goes until the metacam runs out (about a week)...unless she tells me sooner.

I don't want to come across as heartless, but why are you waiting??

My vet said she should have a chance on metacam for a week to see if it resolves itself. If she wasn't eating, I would have an easier decision...but she is eating again which is a very good sign. :)

Lillysmum,

My thoughts are with you, I know just how hard this is for you. It involves expenditure, but I wanted to let you know that we have been managing our 14 grey's deteriorating lumbosacral condition with a combination of first veterinary and then herbal pain/inflammation relief and acupuncture. If Lilly's condition has not significantly deteriorated when her Metacam course finishes, I would strongly recommend trialling Onsior. Even though Lilly's condition sounds worse pain-wise than our Maggie's, I can't say enough good things about the relief a 4 week course of Onsior provided for her. It was so successful as an anti-inflam, it halted quite serious incontinence that had been caused by pressure on nerves to her bladder.

Both of you are in my thoughts.

Regards,

Jane.

I've been away with my parents looking after the dogs since yesterday morning. She's resting next to me on the lounge - she's very stiff and still on strict crate rest - but as she was crated and alone all day yesterday, I've let her have some time out today. She's close to had enough I think. :cry: Mum says it may be kinder to let her go...and I agree as much as that breaks my heart...

I've been away with my parents looking after the dogs since yesterday morning. She's resting next to me on the lounge - she's very stiff and still on strict crate rest - but as she was crated and alone all day yesterday, I've let her have some time out today. She's close to had enough I think. :cry: Mum says it may be kinder to let her go...and I agree as much as that breaks my heart...

Very sad to hear. I don't have anything else to add sorry.

Edited by RL1

"Better off a day too soon, than a minute too late".

totally agree, I've had one that was a minute too late and it was horrible. I've never forgiven myself for not doing better by him :cry:

I read that quote on here a few years back, and it helped me greatly when I had to put my gorgeous old lab to sleep.

Lilly was really stiff and sore this morning and she's loosened up a little since. I just don't know if it's enough of an improvement for her. I had a flock of Sulphur Crested cockatoos in the yard today and had Lilly outside on the lead for a toilet break. The birds took off and normally Lilly would want to chase...but she just stood there and watched them fly off. :(

Lilly was really stiff and sore this morning and she's loosened up a little since. I just don't know if it's enough of an improvement for her. I had a flock of Sulphur Crested cockatoos in the yard today and had Lilly outside on the lead for a toilet break. The birds took off and normally Lilly would want to chase...but she just stood there and watched them fly off. :(

It is so very hard to know when we should let them go.

My old girl has similar problems and an X-ray confirmed it was compression of the spinal cord at the thoracic lumbar junction and at the bottom of her lumbar vertebrae. She is now on cartrophen and needs more acupuncture and laser. I am lucky that we can afford this, as otherwise the vet said her quality of life will be pretty bad. I know that if we could not help her then we would be facing your dilemna in the next few weeks. I think that putting them to sleep is much kinder than letting them suffer as dogs are so stoic that we just don't know how much pain they are enduring.

I am convinced that Lilly will let you know when she thinks it is time..

in the meantime let her potter about.. I would be concerned if she took no notice at all of the Sulphur crested cockatoos.. sometimes being elderly just the watching is fine..

Blessings

Helen

Glad to see that she is doing a little bit better. I'd be giving her all of her favourite things to eat if she is interested and if she can tolerate being touched, a nice massage morning and night to help her loosen up.