I Think It's Nearly Time For Lilly

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( What a sad time for you - but as you said - when you get to the stage of saying "that's no life", then the decision is probably made - even though it's very very hard on the people side of the equation :cry: . And it sounds like you have given Lilli a great and long life. You will have some beautiful memories. Good thoughts for you and Lilli.

With elderly greyhounds, there are two really common causes for the symptoms you describe (as well as a host of less common ones). Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) is extrememly common in older greys, as well as lumbo-sacral disease. Both could be diagnosed by X-ray, but, to be honest, at her age there's really not a lot of treatment options other than keeping her comfortable anyway - meds like metacam is what would most likely be used anyway, and you are already doing that. When that isn't effective anymore, because her pain levels are not manageable, then, as you know, there really is only one option.

She is old for a greyhound, and sounds like she has had a lovely life with you...I know how hard it is, and how little that helps at this particular moment. Which I had more to offer than just my sympathies. :hug:

What a horrible situation you are in - i really really feel for you.

I'm sure your girl knows your doing your best.

I don't want to come across as heartless, i'm not, i have tears reading your posts because it must be so heartbreaking.

A friend once told me when i was facing putting my old pony to sleep "Better off a day too soon, than a minute too late".

*Massive hugs and miracle vibes*

What a horrible situation you are in - i really really feel for you.

I'm sure your girl knows your doing your best.

I don't want to come across as heartless, i'm not, i have tears reading your posts because it must be so heartbreaking.

A friend once told me when i was facing putting my old pony to sleep "Better off a day too soon, than a minute too late".

*Massive hugs and miracle vibes*

Wise words from your friend NOCTRL.

I have no advice lillysmum just hugs to you and Lilly.

I have to very old dogs here, and we just take each day as it comes. Some days Holly bounces out of her bed in the mornings, and then I've had mornings where I've had to carry her out. But while she eats and toilets and is happy to potter about, then I am happy for her to do that. Holly is 15. Andre never seems to change. He eats, sleeps and poops. He is almost 17.

Sending Lily my best wishes, do not stress about not being able to spend a fortune on her. Just be there for her until its her time.

She's barely wanted to move today at all. She's been in the crate resting or sleeping. In fact, I had to coax her up to go out for a wee. At least she's going to the toilet but it's so hard for me to watch her like this. Usually after an injection and a dose of the metacam by mouth, she starts to bounce back but not yet this time. I've got a blankie over her for warmth and a thick bed in the crate to protect her from the cold. She's just sleeping...which is what she's been doing since Saturday. :cry:

Any updates for the old girl ? What do you need for her ? Maybe we can help out.

I'm not sure there's much more that can be done but RL thanks. She's on metacam which has taken some of the pain away. She is slightly less hunched and a little more able to "walk" but she has literally spent all day in the crate and has only had one wee. She DID eat dinner tonight! :thumbsup:

She's tired...when I took her out on lead this afternoon for a pit stop, it was school knock-off time and she wasn't even interested in chasing the kids along the fence - this is usually one of her favourite things to do. :( Not that she's allowed to right now...but it's hard to see the decline in her so quickly.

Guest donatella

Sorry to hear this LM sometimes though they do let us know when it's time...

My mum has the family dog who is now 16 and riddled with arthritis but managed with pills and injections and still loves her food, even though she doesn't run around or move far and is a happy dog and still goes mental when I visit or when mum comes home so we know she's not ready to go yet.

It is awful to watch them suffer, but you can only do what you can do and giving them peace at the end is the kindest thing.

With elderly greyhounds, there are two really common causes for the symptoms you describe (as well as a host of less common ones). Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) is extrememly common in older greys, as well as lumbo-sacral disease. Both could be diagnosed by X-ray, but, to be honest, at her age there's really not a lot of treatment options other than keeping her comfortable anyway - meds like metacam is what would most likely be used anyway, and you are already doing that. When that isn't effective anymore, because her pain levels are not manageable, then, as you know, there really is only one option.

She is old for a greyhound, and sounds like she has had a lovely life with you...I know how hard it is, and how little that helps at this particular moment. Which I had more to offer than just my sympathies. :hug:

This is what I was thinking. Something is very wrong when their behaviour starts to change like that.

If you get no improvement within a few days and you decide to put her to sleep, you will know that she had a happy life right up until the end.

Well, Lilly ate all her breakfast this morning! But she's still not very mobile and exhibiting signs of pain, and that concerns me as she's been crated since Monday and she's only out of the crate for on-lead toilet breaks. :(

I'll see how she goes until the metacam runs out (about a week)...unless she tells me sooner.