I Think It's Nearly Time For Lilly

Lilly is my greyhound. She's 12 yrs old and has had a few challenges over the years but has been highly mobile for most of the time I've had her. We live on an acre and until recently she has done zoomies every day. Just the past week or so, she's slowed down. Yesterday she started hunching over front and back ends and panting heavily. Then refused food. I know she's in pain. I have established that it's in her neck for certain (she has a slipped disc) but it also seems to be in her hips, spine and shoulders. If it's arthritis, the climate here is going to hurt her as we get well below freezing temperatures overnight. She's indoors but being a hound she suffers heat and cold more than most dogs. I can't afford longer-term medication for her - please don't flame me for that but I'm doing the best I can with the pittance I'm receiving from Centrelink. I've asked my ex to ring me because I can't even afford the vet bill/s right now.

So I think it will be time to say goodbye to Lilly very soon. I can't see her in this pain...it's doing my head in. :cry:

Edited by lillysmum

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lilly is my greyhound. She's 12 yrs old and has had a few challenges over the years but has been highly mobile for most of the time I've had her. We live on an acre and until recently she has done zoomies every day. Just the past week or so, she's slowed down. Yesterday she started hunching over front and back ends and panting heavily. Then refused food. I know she's in pain. I have established that it's in her neck for certain (she has a slipped disc) but it also seems to be in her hips, spine and shoulders. If it's arthritis, the climate here is going to hurt her as we get well below freezing temperatures overnight. She's indoors but being a hound she suffers heat and cold more than most dogs. I can't afford longer-term medication for her - please don't flame me for that but I'm doing the best I can with the pittance I'm receiving from Centrelink. I've asked my ex to ring me because I can't even afford the vet bill/s right now.

So I think it will be time to say goodbye to Lilly very soon. I can't see her in this pain...it's doing my head in. :cry:

Sounds like she is in pain, but have you tried a veterinary chiropractor? It might be fixable.

Yeah, I have thought of that. I just can't pay for it.

I can't even pay a consult fee for my vet ($55). I just don't have the money.

Sorry to hear that. If you have to have her pts it will still cost you though.

Yes, around $80 for that; I can pay it off. But I can't pay off regular treatment or repeat consultations.

Hugs to you both Lily'smum.

Aspirin can be given to dogs with safety. If you google it you will find dose rates. If it's a temporary injury or inflammation it may help. Or if you need a little time to sort out your next step it may give some relief in the meantime.

I googled greyhound age and found a study (in the US) that listed the most common age for greyhounds to live to to be 12 or 13. Lily is old and may be ready to go. Rather than blame yourself as not being able to afford to treat her - would you treat her anyway if she is in pain and ready to die? It is not about how much money you have to spend on her - but what is best for her. All the money in the world is not going to stop a dog (or person or any animal) from coming to the end of their life. She is obviously much loved, take her to be checked over and act on the advice of the vet. If she is indeed full of arthritis or something equally uncureable then prolonging her life may not be the best for her. Good luck and you have my thoughts as you decided what is best for Lily and yourself. Remember what a great dog she was - if it is her time - and when you get another grey to fill the hole in your heart still think of Lily as a wonderful friend.

You can only do what you can do. And as pepe001 says maybe it is her time. Maybe you could treat her and get more time but would that be quality time, will she still be happy? While it's really an awful decision to have to make sometimes it's better to let them go while life is still a bit good and not let it get to a point where life is bad.

She's had a good life and you have been a wonderful owner for her, take comfort in that. And compared to many greyhounds out there she has lived an exceptionally long and fruitful life.

Tough decision. My only advice is to do what you know is right. Deep down you will know what that is, even if it is hard.

I had my lovely old bichon PTS last year. I could afford more treatment. But it would not have been right. I had watched his decline and, just like people say, I just knew it was his time. He was suffering.

It is not easy. I wish you the best, and that you have the strength to do what is right, whatever that turns out to be.

I didn't realise until we got rogue just how expensive vets are, lucky we got pet insurance but still .. The 24 hr vet at wooloongabba is $130 initial fee I just find that ridiculous , lucky for me they waved it when I thought a residual due claw nail stump was a tick LMAO ..

Stay strong lilly's mum , it is sad though when decisions have to be made on money .... Thoughts are with you..

Edited by mumof4girls

She's going in this afternoon to have it checked...my ex husband has decided to man-up and pay the expenses unless it's in the thousands and it doesn't go on for long. I think if it's arthritis it may be manageable for a few months but it will get very cold soon. My parents look after the dogs whenever I am away overnight and they leave them outside all day - against my instructions but I'm living in their house so not much I can do. Even if she's wearing her coat it's too cold for an older dog outside at this time of year. :(

I'll update once I know more...even if it's time, I won't do it today unless I have no other option. I think it's more than a slipped disc though as she's lame and "freezes" constantly if she's standing up. :cry:

:grouphug: Thought's are with you at this tough time lillysmum. It is never am easy decision & to add to the pressure, budget is tight.

In hindsight I think I let my boy go a bit too long. Couldn't bear the thought of losing him :( I don't know, it's just such an emotional time to try & even think clearly.

Edited by BC Crazy

Hopefully some medication and a snuggly warm coat/bed might help her a bit.

It's a shame that your folks can't be a little bit more accomodating and allow her to be in the house now that she is older.

Hopefully some medication and a snuggly warm coat/bed might help her a bit.

It's a shame that your folks can't be a little bit more accomodating and allow her to be in the house now that she is older.

She's allowed inside when I'm home. But whenever I'm away overnight my folks keep the dogs outside during the day - it's just the way they are and there's nothing I can do about it. They put the dogs in at night though, which is something.

She's on crate rest for now. Metacam to ease the pain. I'm giving her a few days to respond. And now the ex is being an arse about the bill. I've had to scrape together the $100 to pay my vet and the ex is bleating about giving me the money - true to form which is why he's my ex I suppose.

I also discussed euthanasia and cremation so I'm prepared for that, but at $360 for both services, I don't know how I'll pay for it. :(

Guest lavendergirl

Is there an AWL or similar shelter in your area? They may be able to help in your situation if you need to have her pts. So sorry for your situation. Does she have a warm kennel in her outside area?

She's inside most of the time. She's only outside when I'm away overnight. ETA - she's only outside during the day - she's always inside at night.

No AWL but my vet is lovely and I want her remains to be cremated so I can keep her with me.

Edited by lillysmum

Juice, she's had a slipped disc in her neck for years but this time, the pain has caused symptoms extending through much of her body...so without x-rays etc, no concrete diagnosis is available. I can't afford x-rays etc and my ex won't pay for that either. So I keep her comfortable for as long as it's worth it for Lilly. She's been resting in her crate all evening. That's no life. :(