I Don't Know What Or How To Feed Anymore :(

Issy

He is doing suprisingly well so far, no rashes right now and itching is minimal. I'm also trying to keep him away from plants and the like for walks. He is eating the canned/cooked fish but he wont touch the raw.

You don't want to change your normal routine whilst on a diet trial! If you are avoiding plants etc whilst on walks now how do are you going to know if its this or the diet that he is responding too? Pls speak to a dermatologist as you may have to repeat this diet trial again if its not done to how they specify.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I've been giving him plain fish he's been eating. I'm experimenting with different fish - he seems to love tuna and salmon, but turns his nose up at mackerel and sardines :confused:

Sounds like you have a more stable food routine now Issy :thumbsup: . Stick with what your doing for a total of six weeks. It can take that long for the allergen to get out of his system. If the itchies dissapear, or are even considerably reduced, you'll have a good idea that salmon/tuna are ok and you can start introducing other foods.

Keep us posted on how you go.

I have a sheltie that has reacted to fish, chicken and turkey (statistically, chicken and beef are the two most common proteins that dogs suffer allergic reactions from).

If you are attempting a food elimination diet - it will be more successful and easier to observe if you feed a single source of protein and a protein that the dog has not had before.

Rabbit is a great source to start with if you have not fed your dog rabbit before...? or kangaroo? Really depends on what your dog has eaten in the past...and what is locally available and accessible to you.

The main sources of my sheltie's diet is wild caught rabbit, hare & roo plus he also gets lamb a few times a week.

My vet advised that true food allergies (especially a dog like mine that has never been fed grains) are not that common. Most allergies are contact -ie. grass, dust particles etc.

I believe Dr Jean Dodd's is currently working on a blood test for protein allergies - that will be useful in the future for dogs with suspect food allergies.

He is doing suprisingly well so far, no rashes right now and itching is minimal. I'm also trying to keep him away from plants and the like for walks. He is eating the canned/cooked fish but he wont touch the raw.
You don't want to change your normal routine whilst on a diet trial! If you are avoiding plants etc whilst on walks now how do are you going to know if its this or the diet that he is responding too? Pls speak to a dermatologist as you may have to repeat this diet trial again if its not done to how they specify.

Yes I know this but I'm just trying to do the best I can to help him now. Once I have it under control I can let him near the plants again for about a week before I try another food source. This will tell me if it is the plants.

Right now eyes are all clear and he has none to minimal itching, no rashes etc so the plain fish diet is working very well for now.

If he is an only dog, is there a possibility you could have a friends dog come over at dinner time, or borrow for a few days? Nothing stimulates appetite like competition!

No dogs around that I know of :( Hopefully will meet some at funday this weekend.

Your poor little man, I don't have any advice I just wanted to say good luck and I hope he's feeling better soon

He is feeling much better, thank you!

I have a sheltie that has reacted to fish, chicken and turkey (statistically, chicken and beef are the two most common proteins that dogs suffer allergic reactions from).If you are attempting a food elimination diet - it will be more successful and easier to observe if you feed a single source of protein and a protein that the dog has not had before.Rabbit is a great source to start with if you have not fed your dog rabbit before...? or kangaroo? Really depends on what your dog has eaten in the past...and what is locally available and accessible to you.The main sources of my sheltie's diet is wild caught rabbit, hare & roo plus he also gets lamb a few times a week. My vet advised that true food allergies (especially a dog like mine that has never been fed grains) are not that common. Most allergies are contact -ie. grass, dust particles etc.I believe Dr Jean Dodd's is currently working on a blood test for protein allergies - that will be useful in the future for dogs with suspect food allergies.

Yes I have a feeling he is allergic to some plant/weed outside. I know for a fact that he is worse on chicken/rice and dry food too. Hopefully the dermatologist can figure it all out when my trial is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Kingston.

We are doing great on the just fish diet. Problem is we have some diarrhea. I decided to add some sweet potato to the fish (baked, no skin) and added it to his food about 5 days ago. The diarrhea went away but he started itching! What are the chances of it being the sweet potato? I thought it might be a coincidence and gave it to him for 4 days straight and yes itching like mad and we got bald spots again :( Last two days I had to give him meds, now he is better again.

I'm positive now it is the sweet potato! Anyone know what I can add in the meantime to the food to stop the running?

Guest lavendergirl

Update on Kingston.

We are doing great on the just fish diet. Problem is we have some diarrhea. I decided to add some sweet potato to the fish (baked, no skin) and added it to his food about 5 days ago. The diarrhea went away but he started itching! What are the chances of it being the sweet potato? I thought it might be a coincidence and gave it to him for 4 days straight and yes itching like mad and we got bald spots again :( Last two days I had to give him meds, now he is better again.

I'm positive now it is the sweet potato! Anyone know what I can add in the meantime to the food to stop the running?

Poor old Kingston - just when things were looking up :( You could try pumpkin but if he reacts to sweet potato that might not help either - worth a try though.

Poor darling. How many weeks has Kingston been on fish only? Its probably worth popping in to see your vet and talk about his progress and the recent diarrhea.

Many allergy dogs can tolerate cooked rice, I understand there's little nutritional value in it but it may help to bulk out the fish. If the runs continue you may need to find another protein source as he may have an intolerance to fish.

Update on Kingston.We are doing great on the just fish diet. Problem is we have some diarrhea. I decided to add some sweet potato to the fish (baked, no skin) and added it to his food about 5 days ago. The diarrhea went away but he started itching! What are the chances of it being the sweet potato? I thought it might be a coincidence and gave it to him for 4 days straight and yes itching like mad and we got bald spots again :( Last two days I had to give him meds, now he is better again.I'm positive now it is the sweet potato! Anyone know what I can add in the meantime to the food to stop the running?
Poor old Kingston - just when things were looking up :( You could try pumpkin but if he reacts to sweet potato that might not help either - worth a try though.

I bought Pumpkin today but will give it a day or two for the sweet potato to go out of his system. Hopefully he wont react to it.

Poor darling. How many weeks has Kingston been on fish only? Its probably worth popping in to see your vet and talk about his progress and the recent diarrhea. Many allergy dogs can tolerate cooked rice, I understand there's little nutritional value in it but it may help to bulk out the fish. If the runs continue you may need to find another protein source as he may have an intolerance to fish.

About 3-4 weeks now. We did go see the vet a few days ago and he wants me to put him on Eukanuba or Royal Canin as he says he only knows those brands and not the one I tried... So I ordered one through the vets but haven't picked it up yet. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a go since I can just stop giving it to him if he gets a reaction. He hates dry food though but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it....

Eversince I stopped the sweet potato he is extremely runny again which leads me to believe it could be an intolerance as you said. I might try roo as I don't think he's had that before. He doesn't do well on rice either :(

Oh and I'm supposed to go back for the referal to the dermatologist he said he needs to write something detailed.

Sago might help him ..it is a starchy product made from the pith of a palm tree. ..so no grain.When cooked up, it is a bit like lumpy glue :p

I just looked that up but not sure exactly where to buy it? is it like a vegetable or do I buy it in a packet (looks like small beads from image google)?

Sago might help him ..it is a starchy product made from the pith of a palm tree. ..so no grain.When cooked up, it is a bit like lumpy glue :p

I just looked that up but not sure exactly where to buy it? is it like a vegetable or do I buy it in a packet (looks like small beads from image google)?

The supermarket will sell it, here is a photie from the Woollies website...Anchor brand Sago

post-26505-0-85887600-1337112756_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boronia

Ok well, after so many weeks of successful diet he accidently had a few sips of my milk yesterday that I'd left in my glass when I ran to the phone :( I'm always super careful I guess I just didn't think at the time. I'm guessing he lapped up less than 1/4 because that was what was left and there was still a little in there when I caught him sipping.

I'm guessing that is what set him off again as his eyes are so red and swollen they hardly open now and he just looks so sad. I'm just so frustrated I want to cry right now :(

I gave him some antihistamine and he's sleeping now, hopefully it will ease in a few hours :(

Poor little fellow, I feel so sorry for you both. My dogs have had itching but it's usually flea related & easily fixed in comparison to your pup. I hope that the dermatologist can give you with a solution.

The supermarket will sell it, here is a photie from the Woollies website...Anchor brand Sagopost-26505-0-85887600-1337112756_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I will look into it today. My vet formula has arrived at the vet also so I'm going to go pick that up, fingers crossed it will work.

Poor little fellow, I feel so sorry for you both. My dogs have had itching but it's usually flea related & easily fixed in comparison to your pup. I hope that the dermatologist can give you with a solution.

Yes I wish he would've written the referal on the day I went to see him, I could've made the appointment by now :(

Issy, just be careful that in your desperation you are not trying too many different things in a short space of time. That certainly won't help him. Sometimes it can take a while for something to get out of a system and for the stomach flora to adjust to a new food. Trying him on different things can make it worse.

That said, one of my Cavaliers full litter sister had terrible allergies and itchies. :(

Her owner put her on Advance Sensitive and she did very well on that. She then tried her on Royal Canin Cavalier and she thrived on that with no itchies at all. :)

Edited by LizT

Sounds like your starting to build up a picture of what he can and can't manage. Thats a good thing. I know its frustrating - I've been there and cried just like you are now when yet another thing made him react - but you are making progress :grouphug:

You know he's been pretty good with fish except for the runs recently so perhaps try the sago with fish as persephone reccomendeds and see if it helps to clear up the runs. Personally I'd try that before switching to the dry food - there's a possibility it will work and you'll discover a basic food you know he can tolerate.

You can buy sago from the supermarket - its often used as a dessert (with added sugar etc..) and is can be found in the health food section or dry goods section. Its mixed with water to form a lumpy gooey porridge.

Like LizT says try and avoid the temptation of feeding a variety of things as it will become impossible to work out which caused the reaction.

Thank you for all the advice everyone, it really has helped Kingston lots!

LizT, I'm giving him about 5 days until I try something new and making sure he is recovered before I try anything else.

I was going to try the pumpkin or Sago next but decided to go with the Eukanuba Vet Dry(Fish). Main reason I did this is because he is loosing a lot of weight (currently about 1 kilo underwieght) and even though he doesn't itch at all with the normal fish he has severe diarrhea like water!

Results so far is good, he ate a bowl last night and no itching yet. Today stools much better too. What amazed me though was he actually ate the whole thing and wanted more!!! I've never gotten him to eat any dry food so this is a real suprise for me.