Blind Shows.

klink

Do we really need to have show judges named and listed on show schedules, and if so WHY?

How about if no judges are named on schedules , and are only allocated their groups when intoduced at the beginning of the show,and have their group drawn from a hat etc. so Nobody knows who is doing what until the day.Or do we all want to know so we can follow judges we do well under or know ?.....interesting dilemma.

I'd rather EVERYONE know who is judging that a just handful of show committee members and their friends. ;)

Why on earth would you want to spend money and travel to find you've landed a judge who clearly doesn't like the type of dog you exhibit. :confused:

There's some judges I couldn't be bothered to drive five minutes down the road and waste money on. I pick and choose who I show under these days, so (A)i'm not wasting money on entries an, travel and accommodation and (b) I get the best bang for my buck in terms of challenge points and general specials

I wouldn't drive to a show and the majority are quite a drive to discover that for some reason I couldn't exhibit my dogs, or would not have chosen to enter under that particular judge. It is far too expensive and takes a good deal of my time out of a busy life. If an exhibitor is showing a breed that requires a great deal of grooming and preparation it would be totally out of the question.

I think that it would be a great idea. The only reason it wouldn't work is that there are people out there who only go under certain judges, and alot of people won't go under certain judges, so entries would decrease. Plus in a perfect world, it would be blind and fair, when in reality there are a minority of people who would try and figure out where there friends on facebook are going to be and when. Plus it wouldn't be fair for some of the judges who only want to judge particular groups, breeds, etc. Great in theory though, i think that something drastic like this needs to be done to level the playing field.

I think that it would be a great idea. The only reason it wouldn't work is that there are people out there who only go under certain judges, and alot of people won't go under certain judges, so entries would decrease. Plus in a perfect world, it would be blind and fair, when in reality there are a minority of people who would try and figure out where there friends on facebook are going to be and when. Plus it wouldn't be fair for some of the judges who only want to judge particular groups, breeds, etc. Great in theory though, i think that something drastic like this needs to be done to level the playing field.

Not all judges are qualified for all groups. And you can't enter under family members or the breeders of your own dog so a little unfair for people to drive all that way and waste petrol and money only to be told they can't show.

Its all been discussed before. I don't think that they playing field would be evened out by this- people would still end up competing under the same judges and against the same competition- it would just make it more random.

Better to vote with your feet against judges that you don't think are being fair and eventually they won't get appointments so only the fair judges pull big entries. If judges only get tiny entries and clubs are told why people have decided to boycott it would weed out the few bad eggs and reward the good eggs.

ETA- I can't really say that the playing field is so skewed either. I don't win because I don't show a popular type- it has nothing to do with faces or names it has to do with the dogs on the end of the lead. I will continue to go out and have a fun day regardless

Edited by Jumabaar

I like knowing who I'm under as I know there will be some judges who simply don't like me or the dog..

I have had judges who wouldn't even let us all in the ring before deciding ther choice in group line ups and some who prefer a different style of dog to mine.. I'm not prepared to waste $$ on the judges who won't give us the time of day or if I can prepredict the results