Whelping Boxes - Design Your Own Fibreglass

SwaY

Yes, the melamine is a good idea, but I thought you were asking for fibreglass whelping box ideas in this thread ?

I am, but I was giving you a suggestion to save wrestling with the giant box and having to store it.

If I can get a fibreglass one that breaks down I would be first in line :laugh:

Yes, the melamine is a good idea, but I thought you were asking for fibreglass whelping box ideas in this thread ?

I am, but I was giving you a suggestion to save wrestling with the giant box and having to store it.

If I can get a fibreglass one that breaks down I would be first in line :laugh:

:D and then phone, email and FB me !!!

fifi

I like the doorway for the bitch to get in and out of, to be a couple of pieces that slot into a channel.

Smooth, elevated slightly off the floor ( a few cm's)

no piggy rails

Reasonably high for a more den like environment

Not heated but a hole for a heat pad cord

The problem with a fibreglass whelping box in parts is that it weakens the unit, plus any joins etc leave areas for bacteria etc.

The fibreglass one I have is a whole piece, with no joins and very strong. The edges and corners are all rounded too, so there are no crevaices for the bacteria to hide in. I like your idea with the double door section.:thumbsup:

I like the doorway for the bitch to get in and out of, to be a couple of pieces that slot into a channel. <This

Smooth, elevated slightly off the floor ( a few cm's)

no piggy rails

Reasonably high for a more den like environment

Not heated but a hole for a heat pad cord

I think one that had some type of clips to hold other bedding in place, I also like the two part door idea, clamps on the sides would also be handy, maybe even some hooks on the outside. Hmmm, mouldings along the top edge like cup holder, somewhere to stash scissors, etc, somewhere for the human assistant to sit on the edge, a drainage hole but some type of catchment area/tray underneath, so fluids could drain naturally but could be cleaned up easily (like a bird cage tray idea i guess) i don't know, just brainstorming

I've had my fibreglass whelp box since 1986. Wouldn't get anything else. I just wish the sides were a little bit higher as the pups escape from 3 weeks of age onwards. I like that the pig rails are removable on mine.

I've had BCs, so medium size breed. My preferences would be a heated section one side only, sides only about 40cm high with some way of attaching higher lightweight sides/top (total 1 metre high)for warmth if needed in winter. High sides in hot weather make it impossible to keep them cool. Maybe a section underneath one side to put ice packs in would be useful for very hot weather.

Removable sections to floor level to allow mum in and puppies out as they grow rather than a hinged flap that tends to make a slippery dip effect.

A big one!!! I have the biggest one I could find available which is about 110x110 and I was thanking Dog each and every day that I only had 7 pups and it was winter so everyone wanted to cuddle up!! It really wasn't big enough for my girl to lay down in and stretch out and if it was summer and she wanted to or we had more pups I think I would only have been able to use it for a very short time. Higher sides would definitely be needed as my pups were out basically as soon as they worked out they could do it mine were 30cm high. I loved my lift out door but in two pieces would be great if sides were higher. The only think I don't like about fibreglass boxes (especially in winter) is that they sit right on the floor. We had to put a piece of MDF on some bricks and then the box on top to get it up off the floor. Is there a way it could have something to keep it up off the floor? I know being bigger it would be heavier too so I agree that a plug would be useful. I wouldn't ever want a heated one, I'd rather be in control of that myself plus it would make cleaning an issue. I used pig rails until pups were big enough and I like them. Easy to put in and out would be good though as mine were hard to remove.

Price range. I paid $500 for mine which I thought was good for a big box (well the biggest I could find anyway!)

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with a fibreglass whelping box in parts is that it weakens the unit, plus any joins etc leave areas for bacteria etc.

Yeah, I know, its a shame because wrestling the big boxes is quite an event :laugh: :eek:

and storage is a bugger too.

fifi

I buy a new one for each litter as I only use four pieces of melamine and it costs $90 from Bunnings already pre cut.

I bin it after I have finished with it.

I really like this idea. What do you join the pieces with; corner brackets? I really don't want to buy a new expensive whelping box for this litter as I am quite sure this is my last litter.

I just use corner brackets and screw it together.

I don't have a bottom it mine, so it makes it very easy to put together, not to mention I buy them pre-cut.