Flying With Your Dog

FalconRange

I was going to fly my dog with me from Sydney to Melbourne when I went recently, but try and find a hire car company that will allow a pet in the car! So unless you have a relative or friends car for transport around your destination, getting there isn't the problem - it's the getting around once you're there.

I ended up driving to Melbourne coz it was easier having my own car down there with the dog lol

I've been looking into this the last couple of days.

You are going for a long weekend - be aware - that on the weekends, if you are flying Qantas, the dog must be flying before 3pm. (So you can get on the 2:30pm flight. Their office hours for the freight company that handles qantas pets is open 6am - 3pm only on weekends. ) You can pick the dog up after 3pm, but you can't fly it out after 3pm from anywhere.

look up dogtainers online - their website has lots of good FAQs that help. I also rang them the other day because I am arranging transport for a puppy and they helped me through the process step by step.

(glad I did, because I was not aware that Qantas require a vet certificate for any puppy between 8 weeks and 12 weeks of age, whilst Virgin doesn't -so I need to get that organised too).

I am flying with Qantas from Perth to Sydney next week with my GSD - have pre-booked my crates both ends (returning to Perth 4 days later) with Dogtainers ($50 per crate) and will be lodging my dog myself as well as picking up both ends. Cost for flying Skye on the same flight as me is $168 each way. Have also pre-booked an Avis rental car and they had no restriction on me carrying my dog apart from extra charge if detailed car grooming required. As you can guess (or anyone who has/had a GSD) Skye will be wearing a body coat while in the car and extra blankets have been packed :laugh: Skye is crate trained so no worries there - I would not contemplate medicating and majority of vets are now advising against it.

Correct me if im wrong.. but i think you still have to go through a pet transport company even if you are flying on the same flight?

My lab puppy went from tasmania through melbourne to adelaide with Jet Pets and it cost me $200 inc crate hire.

If you look at some pet transport websites they usually have lots of information as well as do's and dont's

You can either organize yourself or go through pet transport company. At Adelaide pets have to go via freight buildings as they are not allowed in terminal, even if they are transporting on pet pass attached to ticket. Attached to ticket you don't require to go via pet transport company except maybe for crate hire.

I've been looking into this the last couple of days.

You are going for a long weekend - be aware - that on the weekends, if you are flying Qantas, the dog must be flying before 3pm. (So you can get on the 2:30pm flight. Their office hours for the freight company that handles qantas pets is open 6am - 3pm only on weekends. ) You can pick the dog up after 3pm, but you can't fly it out after 3pm from anywhere.

look up dogtainers online - their website has lots of good FAQs that help. I also rang them the other day because I am arranging transport for a puppy and they helped me through the process step by step.

(glad I did, because I was not aware that Qantas require a vet certificate for any puppy between 8 weeks and 12 weeks of age, whilst Virgin doesn't -so I need to get that organised too).

Qantas will accept a declaration letter (not veterinary) stating that you would accept liability if something was to occur for dogs between 8-12 weeks old, also if your flight is a transhipment flight, ie. changes aircraft, the change of aircraft must occur before 3.00pm. If there is a flight delay, you may have to have alternative arrangements.

I flew my BC with QANTAS from Sydney to Alice Springs and then from Darwin to Sydney in July last year, I went as well. you do have to book the dog through Australian Air Express giving them the flight number etc.

Crate hire was $50 each flight and $110 each flight so $160 per flight. They were really good, especially the Alice springs people at Australian Air Express

I am flying with Qantas from Perth to Sydney next week with my GSD - have pre-booked my crates both ends (returning to Perth 4 days later) with Dogtainers ($50 per crate) and will be lodging my dog myself as well as picking up both ends. Cost for flying Skye on the same flight as me is $168 each way. Have also pre-booked an Avis rental car and they had no restriction on me carrying my dog apart from extra charge if detailed car grooming required. As you can guess (or anyone who has/had a GSD) Skye will be wearing a body coat while in the car and extra blankets have been packed :laugh: Skye is crate trained so no worries there - I would not contemplate medicating and majority of vets are now advising against it.

Double check your crate booking ,imy last trip resulted in no crate being at Perth airport & the staff mentioned it is happening alot since a staff member left Dogtainers Perth.Melbourne never a problem ]

But it depends on how well your dog travels.

I've had to medicate a pup sent to Hawaii.

Px

why did you medicate ( sedate? ) a pup going to Hawaii? I've sent two and they arrived in fine spirits, no sedation.

I have flown a couple of times from Sydney to Melbourne with rescues going to their new homes.

I organised the dogs when booking my tickets, as they were smallish breeds it was only an extra $40 as I have an airline approved crate.

It has been worth buying the airline approved crate, they were well priced.

The dogs were checked in the main terminal (special baggage area) and they were picked up the other end in the special baggage area.

The dogs were fine, I didn’t fuss over them (hard not to do) though made sure they were comfy.

My vet is against sedating, it can be very dangerous for dogs on flights.

Remember to take a small pair of scissors with you in your main baggage (that goes in the cargo hold) so that you can cut the cable ties they use to secure the crate gate (if you decide to buy your own crate).

A sedated dog can't balance properly so if the plane hits turbulence it can be very seriously injured. A sedated dog also can't regulate it's own temperature very well ...

That's interesting to know!