Anonymous Users. Why?

nawnim

Guest Willow

Sometimes i log in as anonymous if I've started a topic and want to lurk in it, without looking like a saddo loser who is lurking in her own topic waiting for people to post!!! :rofl:

I was anonymous in a particular OT thread for a long time, because I didn't want people to know I was interested in the particular topic IYKWIM???

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a box you tick when you log in .... I am anonymous but for no other reason than I like to be :shrug:

i tick it cuz i'm an habitual rurker 14c5ibo.gif

... I don't think anyone ever looks to see who is on & who is not.

i do! Zz1Coy1.gif not that it matters!!! omgzg6mr.gif

besides, for the time it takes for me to post and if i were visible, it might be indicative as to my relative slowness UpsideDownWave.gif and that would likely provide fodder...

just sayin'

Because I can :)

:thumbsup:

..you actually look to see who's reading stuff? :o

This..

Who actually looks to see who is reading a thread?

Wher is Pesh, we need a poll...

Don't get it. :confused: You're saying you couldn't care less but you want to keep talking about it. :confused:

I think they are lovely names.

Ann On

Ann Onymous

Sue Donym

Nonde Plume

Although they might all be happier if they could write:

Shall Remain Nameless

Ehhh!! Tralee's not my real name either, but I knew who all of you others were as soon as I read your avatars. :D

Maybe that's the usefulness of signing in Ann Onymous.

Then people won't know who you are. :confused:

:laugh: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I used to always log in with my name showing but I often have the forum up when Im not even at home. My computer is on all the time and especially when I was working on the awards usually logged in almost permanently.

Then people started getting narky and making little comments about how I was avoiding answering etc .

It got pretty bad at one stage and I just don't have the time to go into every forum and every thread to see if someone has asked me a question so it seems smarter to me to log in as anon and then people couldn't expect that I really was here 24 /7 and seeing everything that was read.

This..

Don't get it. :confused: You're saying you couldn't care less but you want to keep talking about it. :confused:

Was that aimed at my comment??? Nowhere did I say I couldn't care less (or keep talking about it? whatever it is :confused: )

All I asked was who looks to see who is reading a thread...

If so, I only just saw the thread and thought it an odd question. Upon reading the thread, I agreed with the others...

This..

Was that aimed at my comment??? Nowhere did I say I couldn't care less (or keep talking about it? whatever it is :confused: )

All I asked was who looks to see who is reading a thread...

If so, I only just saw the thread and thought it an odd question. Upon reading the thread, I agreed with the others...

:confused::shrug:

Edited by padraic

I am shocked that people would have the nerve to have a go at someone who didn't put a response to a topic after reading it!

Rather surprised me, too. There's a difference between just reading a post or topic....& making a decision to reply.

People can read posts or topics to their hearts content. That doesn't place some obligation on them to respond.

And maybe they have a life and are busy lol..

I am shocked that people would have the nerve to have a go at someone who didn't put a response to a topic after reading it!

Rather surprised me, too. There's a difference between just reading a post or topic....& making a decision to reply.

People can read posts or topics to their hearts content. That doesn't place some obligation on them to respond.

'cos I'm a ninja.

bpcomp_Ninja1.jpg

So are guest users better or worse than anonymous users?

:laugh:

:rofl:

I never get that far down the page anyway. I am now wondering though, I never actually 'sign out' so am I here all the time?

If I am on my phone, I can't sign in. :( I am usually in Urgent or General Rescue and often forget to sign in on the computer.

Sometimes I am living vicariously through others and I read Breeders Community, where I can't comment anyway, so they would probably think who are you! :D Cluck Cluck!

There is a level of obligation to respond if a person is asked a question, asked to back up a claim, or to reply to a message. If that person is seen hanging around the forums, people might wonder why they are avoiding the question. Being anonymous is a non-offensive way of prioritising responses in your own time without any pressure.

The level of obligation is dependant on how credible or polite a person wants to be online. Some people feel no obligation, some feel it very strongly.

Trolling and online bullying are often about manipulating people's feelings of obligation to respond to posts.

I use it because i forget to log out.

There have been a few times that some one has Pm me beaucs i was listed as being on line, then they got snarky that i didnt reply straight away when i had left the computer on and gone to do something else.

I quite often read threads but don't feel confident in my knowledge/ or don't have all the knowledge to supply an answer so will read the thread as it grows to build my own knowledge.

Or if I have an answer to add and it has been said by some one else then I feel no need to reply only to repeat what has already been said

There is a level of obligation to respond if a person is asked a question, asked to back up a claim, or to reply to a message. If that person is seen hanging around the forums, people might wonder why they are avoiding the question. Being anonymous is a non-offensive way of prioritising responses in your own time without any pressure.

The level of obligation is dependant on how credible or polite a person wants to be online. Some people feel no obligation, some feel it very strongly.

Trolling and online bullying are often about manipulating people's feelings of obligation to respond to posts.

I agree with your last sentence very much. But I have reservations about the rest. Given no laws or regulations or common courtesies are being broken, people have the right to speak their mind. They also have a right to decide when not to speak. Frankly, if someone wants to avoid any question, they are free to do so, whether I like it or not. Even the law allows the right to remain silent. The reverse is the Gestapo approach of 'we have ways of making you talk'.

The fact that someone is 'hanging around the forums' is a case of someone deciding where they want to be.

There appears to be a need to control, beyond reasonable boundaries.

I agree with your last sentence very much. But I have reservations about the rest. Given no laws or regulations or common courtesies are being broken, people have the right to speak their mind. They also have a right to decide when not to speak. Frankly, if someone wants to avoid any question, they are free to do so, whether I like it or not. Even the law allows the right to remain silent. The reverse is the Gestapo approach of 'we have ways of making you talk'.

The fact that someone is 'hanging around the forums' is a case of someone deciding where they want to be.

I was thinking more about manners.

If you ask a question and you get responses, don't you feel obliged to thank them or at least acknowledge them? What about a person that posts a distressing story asking for help, and lots of people respond trying to help but have questions to ask in order to find out the best way to help. Is the OP obliged to give a more detailed explanation or acknowledgement of the questions?

I've noticed that it tends to annoy other forum members very much if people do not respond in those situations. If you were in those situations where you had asked for help or a question, would you feel obliged to respond to people giving advice? I know that I would. I am quite free to not respond, but what would people think of that? What would they think of me ignoring them, but my name being there at the bottom of the screen to remind them that I have read their post and have chosen to ignore it? That's why I like anonymous. I don't want people to think I am ignoring them just because I am busy. Even if it's true. :laugh:

I was thinking more about manners.

If you ask a question and you get responses, don't you feel obliged to thank them or at least acknowledge them? What about a person that posts a distressing story asking for help, and lots of people respond trying to help but have questions to ask in order to find out the best way to help. Is the OP obliged to give a more detailed explanation or acknowledgement of the questions?

I've noticed that it tends to annoy other forum members very much if people do not respond in those situations. If you were in those situations where you had asked for help or a question, would you feel obliged to respond to people giving advice? I know that I would. I am quite free to not respond, but what would people think of that? What would they think of me ignoring them, but my name being there at the bottom of the screen to remind them that I have read their post and have chosen to ignore it? That's why I like anonymous. I don't want people to think I am ignoring them just because I am busy. Even if it's true. :laugh:

Probably seems like a silly question but I'm new to these forums and I'm just wondering what OP stands for. Other party? Other person?

Edited by padraic