A Very Embarrassing Situation

ruthjones

Okay, my girl is in heat finally, by my reckoning she is approx 11 days,

They both seem very interested and lots of hmping Behaviour, however, my boy seems unable to actually get inside her this time let alone get a tie. Now these two were fine on their own last time, she is flagging and standing for him, but after about 20 seconds of the humping Behaviour, one or the other just walks off.

Should I just give them more time or is there something I should do to ummm assist them?

I did try a search but apparently the word tie is not used in the breeders forum at all apparently lol.

Ruth

Okay, my girl is in heat finally, by my reckoning she is approx 11 days,

They both seem very interested and lots of hmping Behaviour, however, my boy seems unable to actually get inside her this time let alone get a tie. Now these two were fine on their own last time, she is flagging and standing for him, but after about 20 seconds of the humping Behaviour, one or the other just walks off.

Should I just give them more time or is there something I should do to ummm assist them?

I did try a search but apparently the word tie is not used in the breeders forum at all apparently lol.

Ruth

You may need an experienced person to help. I see you are in Tasmania...whereabouts?

Has she been mated before ?

If not check for vaginal stricture. One of my girls had this, easy to fix.

Has he mated before ?

If not he may need practise until he gets it.

If they have mated before the timing is off. Seperate & try again tomorrow or the day after. Time yet.

They have both been bred before, this is the pairing that produced the singleton we lost last year, we are not definite about when day one was, other than she was definitely bleeding on Monday 23rd, retrospectively husband says he thought she might have been a couple of days earlier but can't put a date to it. Male decided he was interested mid-late last week, she wasn't accepting of his advances until Saturday onwards, so we may have missed entirely, maybe she isn't ready yet, heck maybe they have tied when we weren't watching ( they live together)

It is the normal humping happy dance, male looking like he is trying to climb a staircase, but then no tie at the end. So we are a little lost.

Am going to try giving him some red meat (sorry hubby, the chops aren't for you) and separating them for a few hours and hope for something different lol.

Any other tips?

Indicators of certain issues or problems I can check for?

Entry is possible, confirmed via latex glove with a bit of lube, didn't appear to hurt her, she was a little reluctant though, is it possible it is just still too early?

I have also noticed she isn't always moving her tail out of the way so sometimes he can't even get in because he is too far away because her tail is in the way.

Dogs, love them, but oh so frustrating at times!

Ruth

Would love to, I don't have a vet here ye though, only moved a couple months ago, let alone know one that could give me a quick response.

Would it be worth getting an ai kit online and trying myself? Or would it most likely be too late by the time it arrived, let alone me working out how to do it without hurting my girl.

The most likely thing is that she is not ready. My dogs fiddle about - until the girl is ready - and while you blink, there is a tie. I wouldnt worry, they don't all cycle on the 11th day.

And there is Steve's test. If the vulva feels like your nose, she isn't ready. When it feels much softer, like the middle of your top lip, she is ready.

Well she feels very soft to the touch!

They are both very keen, if anything it seems like she is standing better today than yesterday, wondering if he for some reason is purposely withdrawing before they tie, is that even possible, sometimes after he withdraws there seems to be fluid dribbling, not sure which one it is from, maybe this season just isn't meant to be :(

Well she feels very soft to the touch!

They are both very keen, if anything it seems like she is standing better today than yesterday, wondering if he for some reason is purposely withdrawing before they tie, is that even possible, sometimes after he withdraws there seems to be fluid dribbling, not sure which one it is from, maybe this season just isn't meant to be :(

OK, to put it bluntly, a gentle but firm shove when he hits the jackpot may be needed. If you can feel that he is penetrating for sure (ie, you create a v with your fingers around the vulva and if you can feel the penis penetrating), then firmly but gently (and quickly) push him "home" with a hand on his backside and if you time it right, they should be able to progress from there.

And did you end up contacting those people I suggested?

Not the ones in Boat harbour I didn't, had to make sure I had transport first, I did email another breeder in my suburb (what are the odds) but no reply as yet. Will try and contact the other one in boat harbour this morning.

Okay, will try and assist him a bit more, heck something has to work surely!

And did you end up contacting those people I suggested?

Not the ones in Boat harbour I didn't, had to make sure I had transport first, I did email another breeder in my suburb (what are the odds) but no reply as yet. Will try and contact the other one in boat harbour this morning.

Okay, will try and assist him a bit more, heck something has to work surely!

I'd be ringing people, not emailing. Not everybody checks their emails on a regular basis and by the time they do, it may be too late. And I'd ring people first and then perhaps attempt on your own if you cannot get some more experienced help.

The most likely thing is that she is not ready. My dogs fiddle about - until the girl is ready - and while you blink, there is a tie. I wouldnt worry, they don't all cycle on the 11th day.

And there is Steve's test. If the vulva feels like your nose, she isn't ready. When it feels much softer, like the middle of your top lip, she is ready.

How many people just felt their nose and their top lip?

How many people just felt their nose and their top lip?

Me! me!

The really sad thing is though, I do the same thing every time I read that description! :laugh:

I second ellz's suggestion on giving him a "boost" as it were.

Even do some ringing around of the vets if you can to see if any can do quick turn around prog testing - it might be that she's just not quite there yet. I have a funny feeling there is a vet in Devonport who can do quick prog tests, but I'm not sure - this is from my dreadful memory of someone else telling me about it when I was looking for a place to prog test Feonix. I'll look back through my emails and see if I can find that information.

I'd be asking the vet to help with the service as well. MOst are pretty good stud masters if you don't know of a breeder nearby who can help out.

The OP is in a fairly out of the way area, I doubt there would be a vet who would assist. Most actually won't and insist upon AIs to make things easier for themselves. I have suggested some breeders to the OP but I guess it depends upon whether they are available or willing to assist.