Best Online Bookstores

I LOVE books! and am interested in getting more dog related (non-fiction) books. I know about Cleanrun and Tawser, which have some good ones, but postage seems to be pretty steep.

So I am looking for somewhere with low (i.e. reasonable) postage and a good range.

Any ideas? I don't think I can wait for a Cleanrun free postage promo! :cry:

Fishpond.co.nz -free shipping (from o/s) has many dog titles. Like book depositary you often wait a while. 4weeks, 6 weeks...

Best deal may be e-books from Dogwise.

Sometimes I find Amazon cheapest even with postage. I notice fishpond says they will match Amazon prices on their website.

Edited by Poppy's mum

I second BookDepository.co.uk - they have free shipping believe it or not! :thumbsup: I actually ordered 2 Patricia McConnell books from there 2 days ago, and I think they had all her books available. I'm not sure about their range for dog books generally, but every time I've wanted something relatively obscure they've had it. So worth a try :)

ETA - in my experience they're really quick too, I can't remember exactly how long but each time I've ordered from them I've been pleasantly surprised, particularly since they're UK based.

Edited by Alkhe

My longest wait from bookdepositary - 9 weeks for a cupcake recipe book. Shortest - 4 weeks. They must ship sea mail. As my friend says "It's always a nice surprise out of the blue when the book finally arrives. I usually forget I've ordered it"

My longest wait from bookdepositary - 9 weeks for a cupcake recipe book. Shortest - 4 weeks. They must ship sea mail. As my friend says "It's always a nice surprise out of the blue when the book finally arrives. I usually forget I've ordered it"

Oh wow! Ok, Chequeredblackdog - take that into account. I hope my Patricia McConnell ones don't take that long :( I must've just been lucky in the past, cause I'm sure that they've been quick. Unless I'm confusing bD with something else (entirely possible given my memory)..

If you have an e-reading device the Amazon Kindle store has a pretty good range - no shipping costs & no waiting :D

Here's 1200 of them to get you started -

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=Dog+training

:eek: I need to back out of this thread RIGHT NOW. I've got a kindle, but have never done that search.. Oh god, and the fact that you can just whack them onto your credit card is very dangerous. Must. Stop. Reading. Thread.

I've NEVER waited that long for a book from the Book Depository :confused: :confused: They are usually with me within a fortnight. The last book I ordered from them, just 12 days ago, arrived within 10 days from the UK!

Can highly recommend them - they have lots of doggy books in amongst the million others...

I've NEVER waited that long for a book from the Book Depository :confused: :confused: They are usually with me within a fortnight. The last book I ordered from them, just 12 days ago, arrived within 10 days from the UK!

Can highly recommend them - they have lots of doggy books in amongst the million others...

Maybe I've just been unlucky? Probably bought 6 books from BD UK. I know the cupcake book took that long because I was meant to be making cupcakes for work and had to keep missing my turn...that was when my colleague made the remark about everything taking so long and not to worry that it hadn't arrived yet. They didn't say it was out of stock or anything...

I'm looking at Book Depository *drool so many books, free postage with the added bonus of 10% off for April/May! :D

I've also looked at tuxedo Bookshop, Tuxedo Bookshop, but they have mostly equine and veterinary books. (Interesting though!)

My mum is an avid reader as well and she uses Abbey's Bookshop. Abbey's Bookshop

There seems to be quite a lot of dog books on there, unfortunately I'm not sure if any of them are worth getting.

Anyone tried either of these sites?

Sigh it's too hard picking which ones I want! :cry:

Oh, and are there any must haves?

Edited by Chequeredblackdog

I'm currently reading 'In Defence of Dogs' by John Bradshaw - I highly recommend it, within 10 pages I'd learnt so much, and it's really well researched and referenced. It goes through misconceptions about dogs and dog behaviour, particularly those that stem from the belief that dogs follow wolf pack behaviour.

The other one I love is 'The Other End of the Leash' by Patricia McConnell. I have it on kindle but love it so much and want everyone I know to read it, so I'm buying an actual book to lend to people :)

I get most of mine from Dogwisesmile.gif

I did get one via fishpond a few months back. Took about 3 weeks to arrive and was less than half the price of anywhere else. They don't seem to have very good reviews though..

I've always received my books within a week when ordering from book depository, which is the normal postage time from UK to Aus. And I've ordered from there lots of times.