Obedience Trials

I did one CCD trial to test the waters - dog passed well so I moved her into Novice from then on.

ETA. I hate having a leash so really didn't want to do CCD at all.

But isn't most of CD on leash except for the stand for inspection & second heel ??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No CD is all off-leash these days the old CD had both heel on-lead and heel off-lead now CD is just heel off-lead, stand for exam, recall, change of position drop or dumbbell retrieve plus 1 min sit stay and 3 min drop stay.

Sheena,

They got rid of the 2 lots of heelwork in CD when CCD was brought in. So in CCD you do 1 lot of heel work - on lead. On CD you do 1 lot and it is off lead. I haven't trialled since it went to 1 lot of heel work so I am not going to comment on the diferences beyond that :)

Here you go a couple of examples:

Kenz doing CCD -

(although you now don't have to return around after the recall you just finish the dog from in front).

Kenz doing Novice -

(we do change of position rather than a retrieve)

And sure Ptolomy won't mind here are a couple of Cider:

Cider doing CCD -

Cider doing Novice -

Edited by ness

Sheena, IMHO, you'd be much better off entering CCD if you're going to enter anything - much less to go wrong, and as has been said, the dog is on lead for two of the exercises. And for an inexperienced dog, there is a big gap between you talking to her, as in Rally, and not being able to talk except to give commands for heel (judge's forward) drop and stand - and stay or wait. Dog's name can only be used once at the beginning of the exercise (except for Recall, where name can be used before the command - but with a distinct pause left). Lots of intricacies, even in CCD, so I'd definitely be trying to get some club tesst experience first. Just to give yourself and the dog every chance of success.

OK....so I will go with the CCD. I have been watching a few Youtubes (Australian) & the only thing she might have trouble with is distinguishing between the halt/sit & the halt/stand, so will have to work on that. Also the stand for inspection...she might be inclined to sit for the nice judge :D So will work on that too. We get three goes at it over the weekend as well as three goes at the RO. I still havn't been able to work out why they have RN(A&B), but I will just put down RN & let them work it out....meantime I will keep asking. I can't see us going any further than Novice with Obedience...it's not something that excites me...but Bindi is just wrapped in heeling, so I will do it for her :laugh: To go any further, I would have to change her very ingrained & sloppy sit & casual down position. Thanks everyone. :)

OK....so I will go with the CCD. I have been watching a few Youtubes (Australian) & the only thing she might have trouble with is distinguishing between the halt/sit & the halt/stand, so will have to work on that. Also the stand for inspection...she might be inclined to sit for the nice judge :D So will work on that too. We get three goes at it over the weekend as well as three goes at the RO. I still havn't been able to work out why they have RN(A&B), but I will just put down RN & let them work it out....meantime I will keep asking. I can't see us going any further than Novice with Obedience...it's not something that excites me...but Bindi is just wrapped in heeling, so I will do it for her :laugh: To go any further, I would have to change her very ingrained & sloppy sit & casual down position. Thanks everyone. :)

What does the schedule say exactly? Or is it a morning obedience trial and a Rally O trial in the afternoon? And if that is the case, is there two Rally O (a & b) trials happening in the morning/afternoon?

What other classes are being offered at this trial?

The schedule says:-

Saturday AM RN(A&B), RA(A&B), RE(A&B) Saturday PM (the same)

CCD

CD,CDX

UDX, UD

Sunday (the same) just different judges. There are 4 rings with the RO being in ring 4 for the whole weekend.

I am thinking of putting Bindi in her first Obedience & Rally-O Trial, but am confused as to what the symbols mean on the gazette. Obviously Novice R0 is "RN". but what does RN (A&B) mean. Also what would I enter her in for Obedience as a Novice & what does she need to know to compete in it. Sorry to sound like a areal dim-wit, but I have to start somewhere :)

Hi

I think there was a typo in one of the schedules published in which Rally O Novice A & B were offered. There is no A & B in Rally O Novice in Australia but I believe the Club in question is holding 3 Obedience & 3 Rally O Trials over the weekend so plenty of opportunities to achieve some qualifying scores.

Sheena, I don't know if you noticed this post. I'm sure this is right - there is no provision in the rules for A and B at Rally Novice level. It does kick in at Advanced and Excellent. The B courses are for dogs who have already achieverd their title at that particular level.

I find the thing that puts me off obedience the most is you can't praise your dog until after the judge says "exercise complete" ie you lose points for chatting with your dog. My dog likes to know she's doing good. At the moment weave poles consist of 12 yeses. Still working on that one.

have a read of the rules.

Going to other trials first or mock trials is good - because you get a feel for the "Language" of the event and interpretation of the rules.

That's the other thing I like about agility over obedience. Agility has very few parts where it's down to judges opinion (eg contacts) and you can make those really easy for them to get right. Obedience, however... a bit subjective, so while there's obvious things that can go wrong (like failing to recall), how many points you get can depend on things that are less obvious. And I watched one judge who seemed to be scoring a dog relative to its own performance ie if it did somethings brilliantly and other things less brilliantly but better than everyone else in the comp, it still scored less on those things than everyone else in the comp - because they weren't as good as the dog clearly showed in some segments of the course it could do well. Ie the dog was scored against itself, not the other competitors. Very odd.

I am thinking of putting Bindi in her first Obedience & Rally-O Trial, but am confused as to what the symbols mean on the gazette. Obviously Novice R0 is "RN". but what does RN (A&B) mean. Also what would I enter her in for Obedience as a Novice & what does she need to know to compete in it. Sorry to sound like a areal dim-wit, but I have to start somewhere :)

Hi

I think there was a typo in one of the schedules published in which Rally O Novice A & B were offered. There is no A & B in Rally O Novice in Australia but I believe the Club in question is holding 3 Obedience & 3 Rally O Trials over the weekend so plenty of opportunities to achieve some qualifying scores.

Sheena, I don't know if you noticed this post. I'm sure this is right - there is no provision in the rules for A and B at Rally Novice level. It does kick in at Advanced and Excellent. The B courses are for dogs who have already achieverd their title at that particular level.

Tassie, I had a sneeking suspicion that that was the case....in other words the RN (A&B) is a misprint. You are saying that the B courses are for those dogs that have already achieved their titles at that level, but wouldn't that exclude them from competing at the same level they have already titled at :confused: Like in Agility, if you have achieved ADX, then you must go up to ADM etc.

Mrs Rusty Bucket...Yeah...that is what I don't like about obedience too, & I always think the dogs don't look very happy. But in Rally O, you can praise & pat the dog through the course. I have been to a few RO workshops & have come to the conclusion that the people who judge these events all have a different interpretation of the rules. I am only doing the CCD so I don't sit around all weekend with nothing to do, waiting for my couple of minutes on the RO course. I don't expect to do any good in the CCD, but we will train for it & give it a go...it can only be good for myself & my dog. It's not really something that I want to continue with...I think I have my hands full with two dogs doing agility. :thumbsup:

The A & B are only provided for in the Rules for Advanced and Excellent.

Rally Novice

For Dogs six months of age or over and of either sex which are not eligible for the title of Rally Novice (RN). Under no circumstances except where an application for a RN Title has been rejected on a technicality, shall a dog which has competed in a Rally Advanced A Class be eligible to compete in the Rally Novice Class.

So it's like Novice obedience - once you've got your 3 passes, you can't compete in Novice again (except where you get the 3rd pass in the first of a douible trial - then you get 'freebies'.

The B couirses in RA and RE are for dogs going for their RAE titles.

I love obedience and I love training it and watching it as a spectator. I think as with anything you do with your dog it's what you make it. Agility is cool but I've never been passionate about it like I am with obedience, to each their own :shrug:

I've seen some dogs that love obedience. And I think it has a lot to do with the skill and timing of the trainer. Pavlov's dogs used to drag on their leads to the laborartory cos that's where dinner was.

I've seen loads of dogs that clearly are having no fun at obedience, and they don't get anything after "exercise completed" either.

I've seen loads of dogs not enjoying training or trialling in a number of sports. It's not obedience specific, it's handler/training specific.

If your dog can't work without constant reward markers or praise for eg that is a problem in your training not the sport.

Edited by huski

I would really love to do more Heel Work to Music but the opportunities for that sort of thing up near where I live is non-existent. Sometimes they have workshops at the Gold Coast, but that is over 4 hours drive away. I would also like to do sheep herding, but the only training for that is 5 hours drive away.... :(

You still could do heel work to music. Nothing stopping you sheena. Lots of people are "self-taught". The internet is a great tool for helping track down training information and its just about having fun with your dog in the end. :thumbsup: