Crows In Back Yard

mini girl

My current litter is only a week and a half old but since my last litter we have found crows are now coming into our back yard - this is new to us never had crows around before. We live in Brisbane .

Has anyone had any experiences with crows when you put your pups out in a run on the grass - I always have done this - not that I am far away while they are there but I remember hearing horror stories of crows attacking lambs etc. they are such big and powerful birds - do you think they may attack pups in a garden run.

Anyone had experience with this? I may make a scare crow but do these work?

Will add of course not planning to put them outside yet only wqhen old enough.

Edited by mini girl

My current litter is only a week and a half old but since my last litter we have found crows are now coming into our back yard - this is new to us never had crows around before.

We live in Brisbane .

Has anyone had any experiences with crows when you put your pups out in a run on the grass - I always have done this - not that I am far away while they are there but I remember hearing horror stories of crows attacking lambs etc.

They are such big and powerful birds - do you think they may attack pups in a garden run?

Anyone had experience with this?

I may make a scare crow but do these work?

Will add of course not planning to put them outside yet only wqhen old enough.

Hi mini girl. :)

I remember crows in Brisbane

Bloody noisy things!!

Crows will attack anything if they are nesting.

However, its a bit early for nesting.

As far as feeding goes, you will have to watch and see if they have any interest in the pups.

Personally, I would not take the chance which means I would be with the group at all times while they are outside.

Good Luck

Px

Yes. Crows are rife here. My dogs hate them & bark when they land near my chickens.

They will scavenge on anything they can get. They actually circle their territory in a given time frame & leave a watcher bird guarding. Very clever birds don't under estimate them.

I think a roofed run is needed here... crows will be attracted by the sight/smell of food, crumbs/bird seed /bones etc in the yard , and I wouldn't put it past them to fly down to be with the pups ...where a peck in the wrong place could be nasty :(

we have crows everywhere here- they steal a lot of our fruit & nuts .( I watched one pick a walnut off the tree yesterday:P ) and of course will feed on ill or weak sheep...but have never attacked puppies, or us or our poultry . they are generally very smart , and placid.

Edited by persephone

In the country :D the wives tale is that crows come around when they know lambs are soon to be born...we are keeping an eye on our ewes as we also have had a few around lately. We have witnessed crows swooping down and plucking our ducklings up...grrrr hate them.

If they are Australian Ravens, which are commonly called crows but bigger, then the short answer is yes. They do pose a genuine danger to anything up to their own size. I have seen them take out almost adult Wood Ducks and medium sized domestic chooks easily, which would be bigger than most young puppies.

They may be common and we get usedo seeing them as scavengers. But they are powerful predators when they need or want to be. Couple that with one of the highest problem solving intelligences in the bird world and they suddenly seem more formidable than the average seagull....

They make my blood run cold - and glad to know my fears are justified - and not just me being paranoid - there is no way now I will leave my litter unguarded in the yard now - we will certainly have to look into making it completely crow proof but maybe will just make the time for a couple of hours a day to sit and play with the pups in the run - hang the house work you don't have pups at home that long and Brisbane winters are beautiful.

As Alyosha mentioned, they are in fact RAVENS as we do not have crows in Australia. And yes, they will attack anything that appears vunerable to them. They are known to go after lambs.

Edited by LizT