Wellness Dog Food

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like the wellness recalls and salmonella problems are continuing.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/diamond-another-dog-food-recall/

I'll think you'll find that Wellness is no longer made by Diamond. They were during the date range of this recall however it is now manufactured by American Nutrition. They are also in the process of taking their manufacture in house in Indiana.

Edited by Boxer05

I don't think there is any need for Australian consumers to panic about the recalls in the United States. Someone in the other thread confirmed that the factory exporting to Australia was not involved in the recall.

And now they are saying that both plants have had recalls, so that affects exports to Australia. Apparently it's the salmonella strain that has killed children.

In saying the above AQIS heating requirements would kill just about anything anyway!

Edited by Inevitablue

I don't think there is any need for Australian consumers to panic about the recalls in the United States. Someone in the other thread confirmed that the factory exporting to Australia was not involved in the recall.

And now they are saying that both plants have had recalls, so that affects exports to Australia. Apparently it's the salmonella strain that has killed children.

In saying the above AQIS heating requirements would kill just about anything anyway!

would you please be able to post the link to where you read this.

I must have missed it

thanks

Many vets are talking about it at the AVA conference, I will try and get a link to what is being spoken about. If not, I will remove that comment.

Here is the quote and link to the type of Salmonella that is involved.

Lab tests indicated those who fell ill were infected with a rare strain of salmonella Infantis, which was detected Apr. 2 after a routine test of dry dog food revealed contamination, a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

Meanwhile, the Food and Drug Administration conducted a week-long probe and found numerous violations at the South Carolina plant, according to the Christian Science Monitor.

“All reasonable precautions are not taken to ensure that production procedures to not contribute contamination from any source,” its report said, noting that the factory’s screening process for possible contaminants wasn’t thorough enough.

Other violations: Factory workers were seen handling sensitive equipment with bare hands; there weren't enough hand-washing stations throughout the plant (even in areas where raw meat was being handled); the factory used damaged equipment with holes and cuts, which would make the tools difficult to clean properly.

Here's the timeline according to the Monitor:

Despite these findings, the company didn't issue a second recall until a week after the inspection was over, involving a single production run of its Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul brand. On April 30, it issued another expansion of the recall, this time involving puppy food. On May 3, the federal government announced it had linked 14 cases of salmonella in adults to Diamond's dog foods. On May 4, Natural Balance Pet Foodsand WellPet LLC, makers of Wellness, announced a recall of their dog foods made at Diamond's plant. From there, the recalls kept coming.

People can become sick by handling the tainted pet food or through contact with an animal that has eaten the contaminated food. Experts advise washing hands thoroughly after feeding pets or picking up animals. Also, clean litter boxes daily.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pets/153150915.html

Guest lavendergirl

It is my understanding that, for Taste of the Wild at least, the food is not produced in South Carolina, which is the focus of the recall, but in a California plant which is not effected. This is the only source factory approved to export to Australia. Also TOTW is not irradiated on entry to Australia.

It is confirmed, this latest recall of Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula dry dog food was made at the Meta, Missouri plant not the Gaston, SC plant (where all the other recalls originated). Plus there is another significant piece of information stated in this latest release...

The press release for the variety that isn't manufactured in the original recall manufacturing location.

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/another-diamond-product-recalled.html

Also TOTW is not irradiated on entry to Australia.

No, but in exchange for no irridation go look up the AQIS heating requirements for the food. Its scary, not many biologcal compounds can survive those temps.

Australian made all the way here!

Guest lavendergirl

No, but in exchange for no irridation go look up the AQIS heating requirements for the food. Its scary, not many biologcal compounds can survive those temps.

Is the analysis provided on the product incorrect then? Just wondering...

I would love to feed an Australian made food but there is not one - kibble that is - that matches the quality of these others for what I want i.e. fish based, grain free, low fillers, moderate protein levels etc . I am happy to be advised to the contrary. I don't think Black Hawk makes anything other than lamb based does it? :D

Guest lavendergirl

I don't think Black Hawk makes anything other than lamb based does it? :D

LOL!! I'm not a covert Black Hawk person :laugh:

No - not implying you were :D I really don't know of too many other Aussie made kibbles.

I'm not sure I'm happy feeding any Diamond foods anymore the problems seem to be getting more and more widespread.

Not so sure either :( It is a bit scary really. My 2 just go really well on it. Darn annoying isn't it.

I would love to feed an Australian made food but there is not one - kibble that is - that matches the quality of these others for what I want i.e. fish based, grain free, low fillers, moderate protein levels etc . I am happy to be advised to the contrary. I don't think Black Hawk makes anything other than lamb based does it? :D

I would buy Aussie made in a second but to my knowledge there isn't a grain-free dry dog food made here.

I would buy Aussie made in a second but to my knowledge there isn't a grain-free dry dog food made here.

If I couldn't buy Aussie in whatever dry dog food I needed, then I would be feeding RAW. It's a shame that we can't do something in the way of salmon, seeing we have all those salmon farms in Tassie & all the Carp that get trapped & turned into fertilizer. I guess the market here in Oz is not big enough. BH are putting out a chicken one soon, ATM the only chicken they have is the Feline.

I guess if people could buy an australian made biscuit that suited their dogs they would

but not ever one can... I have tried a couple and was not impressed with them ( dogs coats etc )

neither were the dogs some wouldn't even eat it

I wouldn't right off all imported stuff look how many people fed say royal Canin and have for years

I am extremely worried when i read of any food recall be it for people or our precious animals

but can anyone say that an australian made item wouldn't ever be listed on a recall

of course this recall from Diamond food is a huge worry...and it might make me rethink what I feed

I guess if people could buy an australian made biscuit that suited their dogs they would

but not ever one can... I have tried a couple and was not impressed with them ( dogs coats etc )

neither were the dogs some wouldn't even eat it

I wouldn't right off all imported stuff look how many people fed say royal Canin and have for years

I am extremely worried when i read of any food recall be it for people or our precious animals

but can anyone say that an australian made item wouldn't ever be listed on a recall

of course this recall from Diamond food is a huge worry...and it might make me rethink what I feed

It can happen anywhere, but I have more trust in the high standards of Australian produced & manufactured food than ANY food that comes from overseas, where we all know that food & safety standards may not the same high quality. They have all sorts of exotic diseases overseas including Mad Cow disease, that is why pet food coming from overseas has to be irradiated or heat treated. As I say, if I couldn't get the food I wanted in Australia, then I would make my own. Another worry I would have with Diamond foods, is that if their hygiene is so slack, then imagine what condition of produce they select to make their foods. :(