Need A Behaviorist Near Northlakes/ Griffin Qld.

Hi all,

My cousin has a 6 month old Labrador X German Shepherd pup who is resource guarding to the point of biting (and drawing blood) on his owners. They are looking for a GOOD behaviorist in their area to help them deal with the issues.

Thanks

Thanks, I have passed on the details although the website is being flagged by my anitvirus as an attack site! It was picking up lots of trojans off there :confused::eek:

Six months old... not good.

If there are kids in the family, I don't think a behaviourist is going to solve their problems.

Combine two breeds, one with a low bite threshold (gundog) and one with a low bite inhibition (herding) add a few temperament issues and this can be the disastrous outcome. The pup is also a also combination of a breed not unknown for resource guarding with a breed with strong protective instincts - wow what a great idea NOT.

Just prepare them for the fact they may not get a happy ending.

And people get told that because they prefer the predictability of characteristics in purebred dogs they are "snobs"... well folks sometimes being a snob means not having to deal with situations like this.

Hope it turns out well but this level of behaviour in a pup of this age suggests to me that it might not. :(

Thank you all, I have passed Jane's contact info on and STRONGLY advised my cousin to call NOW. It definitely is concerning behavior especially being so young a pup. She also described that one of the bites, her BF had to pry pups jaws open to get him off his arm :eek: .

There are no children in the home and as far as I know they are not intending to have any any time soon. They are great owners, and are trying to do everything right with puppy preschool etc. but they do not have the knowledge to deal with this without professional help IMO so I am just really hoping they will chase Jane up and get started ASAP.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

She also described that one of the bites, her BF had to pry pups jaws open to get him off his arm

I would be sending that dog on a one way trip if he couldn't actually pry it off his arm at that age. Sounds like there is something not right with this one.

She also described that one of the bites, her BF had to pry pups jaws open to get him off his arm

I would be sending that dog on a one way trip if he couldn't actually pry it off his arm at that age. Sounds like there is something not right with this one.

:( That is a definite worry. If that is the case, I think I agree with nekh.

Hopefully it won't come to that and that it is just inexperienced (although well intentioned) handling. I just hope they call Jane and that she will be able to help. They really adore this little guy and I don't know if they would be able to PTS before a major incident... If Jane feels the pup is just too unstable, would she recommend euthanasia?

Either way before PTS is even a considerable option he should be thoroughly assessed by a professional.

a lack of training doesnt create a dog that lashes out and latches on. That is genetics and from my guess the pup didnt come from the best of breeders.

Jane is very experienced and fair but ultimately it is up to them whether they take advice or not, or what they do with the dog. PTS decisions are also on behalf of dog and owner. Frankly any dog that has done this at 6 months I would loathe to recommend to be rehomed, and if they don't want to keep it there are few options for dogs that are HA.

When it comes to being unstable the owners have to realise this is a dog that will probably require a lot of ongoing management, forever. They have to leave the lovey hat off and put the rational hat on instead when making decisions about the dogs long term future (I'm talking after assessment, not me telling them what to do as I have not seen the dog)

Guest lavendergirl

If they would prefer a veterinary behaviourist they could try Dr Cam Day - very experienced but expensive.

I've also heard good things about Jane Harper.

Also RSPCA Qld's Behaviour Training Unit has behaviourists available in their Behaviour Helpline. No....it's not for dobbing someone in.

It's a service where pet owners can run past a current problem. With face to face services, too.

I used it recently re a problem about settling a new dog with cats.

I found the person attentive, friendly and helpful.

Shall PM the phone no.

Edited by mita

a lack of training doesnt create a dog that lashes out and latches on. That is genetics and from my guess the pup didnt come from the best of breeders.

Jane is very experienced and fair but ultimately it is up to them whether they take advice or not, or what they do with the dog. PTS decisions are also on behalf of dog and owner. Frankly any dog that has done this at 6 months I would loathe to recommend to be rehomed, and if they don't want to keep it there are few options for dogs that are HA.

When it comes to being unstable the owners have to realise this is a dog that will probably require a lot of ongoing management, forever. They have to leave the lovey hat off and put the rational hat on instead when making decisions about the dogs long term future (I'm talking after assessment, not me telling them what to do as I have not seen the dog)

They are not talking about rehoming. The tone of the conversation that I got was "He's great/perfect in every way... but he bites over food". I don't think they, as owners, think this is a deal breaker as it is now. If that makes any sense? What I meant by "major incident" was I think he would have to be full grown and biting for it to get to the point of PTS for them. They are very attached to him and love him very much and I am not sure if they will be able to separate that and make a logical choice on it....at least not yet. That is assuming it is as bad as it sounds/sounded and that becomes a necessary option to consider.

I do agree though. He is going to need to be worked on and managed for his entire adult life with this kind of behavior exhibited so young.

a major incident.

:o biting to the extent of having to have jaws prised open does it for me.

Did the owner need medical attention ?

Not that I am aware of. That was how she phrased it when telling me over the phone and I didn't question for specific details so I really cannot offer anything more accurate than that.

MITA- Thanks so much for that phone number I will call her this evening and pass the information along.

Edited by Pailin

perhaps they are somewhat exaggerating .... ( I hope!) I would imagine if a good sized 6 m.o latched on ..there would be holes which needed looking at Our 6 m. o koolies can cause much damage with their new shiny adult teeth!

Either way, I hope that they get some good professional help soon .