Newborn Skin Baby Photo Shoot

Good luck with that - lol.

I photograph babies in a documentary style way, as I have very little patience for posing curly, sleepy newborns. You'll probably find she'll be quite red (which you can tone down in LR or PS - I prefer PS) and she may or may not be spotty. I guess it depends on how you want to go about it. Lots of feeding, keeping warm and tonnes of patience.

ETA Six weeks is usually an age where they are unsettled as it is a time for a growth spurt and a leap in development.

Edited by huga

Expose to the right. A slightly overexposed newborn image should be a) easier to edit and b) immediately helpful with blothcies & red skin.

Watch your backgrounds - clutter and distracting elements are killers with little ones.

Be happy with a few frames/poses - babies can get unsettled and it's just no use or fun for anyone if you keep trying to force it. Patience is king. Best case you go in, baby is happy, you're done with a nice variety in 20 minutes. Worst case, baby isn't happy and it takes three hours to get three poses :D

Enjoy!

Nope not at all Huga :)

I totally understand that will be difficult, I did explain to her that I am an animal photographer, but will try my best!

Will post a couple if I get any nice ones (with her consent)

Definitely do! I thoroughly enjoy looking at other peoples baby sessions. I photographed six week old twins a while back, they were very alert, so no sleepy shots there! Their session is here:

http://www.katietakesapicture.com.au/?p=449

I also did a session with a four month old last weekend, which is here:

http://www.katietakesapicture.com.au/?p=1245

Guest Tess32

I have my first newborn shoot too this week (6/7 days old) but I also prefer lifestyle newborn photography so will try that first.

I just did a 4 month old and find it a difficult age if they are not sitting up yet as some hate tummy time too.

Some tips I have are to have the area very warm and have the baby fed.

Nope not at all Huga :)

I totally understand that will be difficult, I did explain to her that I am an animal photographer, but will try my best!

Will post a couple if I get any nice ones (with her consent)

Definitely do! I thoroughly enjoy looking at other peoples baby sessions. I photographed six week old twins a while back, they were very alert, so no sleepy shots there! Their session is here:

http://www.katietakesapicture.com.au/?p=449

I also did a session with a four month old last weekend, which is here:

http://www.katietakesapicture.com.au/?p=1245

Wow, they are beautiful sessions Huga!!

The families must be very happy with them! :)

:eek: That was so super challenging! :laugh:

I'm glad it was my cousin who I tried newborn photography with for the first time.

I will post a couple when I have finished editing them.

They are not the best, but she loves them, so to me that's all that matters.

:eek: That was so super challenging! :laugh:

I'm glad it was my cousin who I tried newborn photography with for the first time.

I will post a couple when I have finished editing them.

They are not the best, but she loves them, so to me that's all that matters.

:laugh:

I won't say I told you so.

I'm sure they are fine, looking forward to seeing them.

bit too late for this time around, but 1 thing I always try to avoid is newborns wearing clothes as they never look right on them. I prefer either near naked, or wrapped in baby wraps, as when I do them, I am trying to also get the baby wrinkles and the whole tinyness aspect, which you just don;t get when they are wearing outfits. I also do newborns at 12 days or under, as anything less you run into baby acne, and also a lot more unsettled. I then generally suggest waiting till hey are about 4 months old, as at least then they can hold there head up and interact a bit more.

bit too late for this time around, but 1 thing I always try to avoid is newborns wearing clothes as they never look right on them. I prefer either near naked, or wrapped in baby wraps, as when I do them, I am trying to also get the baby wrinkles and the whole tinyness aspect, which you just don;t get when they are wearing outfits. I also do newborns at 12 days or under, as anything less you run into baby acne, and also a lot more unsettled. I then generally suggest waiting till hey are about 4 months old, as at least then they can hold there head up and interact a bit more.

Thanks Linda.

I did get a couple of shots of him naked for her, but he really didn't want to co-operate.

I'm going to go back and do another shoot when he is a bit older too :)

I agree with what Linda has said. Most babies don't like being nude though, unless the room is super hot. Most newborn photographers I know will heat the room to around 29 degrees or so. It's really tough work and is the reason I photograph babies the way I do. Also, if you don't have babies of your own (or even if you do!), it can be quite scary handling them and moving them around. That sort of confidence comes with time.

Peoples homes can be hard to work in too, often there is not much light which can be very challenging! There are a few that I would lighten a bit more, maybe convert some to B&W because there are a few colours going on and it then the skin colour doesn't matter so much.

I agree with what Linda has said. Most babies don't like being nude though, unless the room is super hot. Most newborn photographers I know will heat the room to around 29 degrees or so. It's really tough work and is the reason I photograph babies the way I do. Also, if you don't have babies of your own (or even if you do!), it can be quite scary handling them and moving them around. That sort of confidence comes with time.

Peoples homes can be hard to work in too, often there is not much light which can be very challenging! There are a few that I would lighten a bit more, maybe convert some to B&W because there are a few colours going on and it then the skin colour doesn't matter so much.

Thanks Huga!

Luckily this was a one off shoot, not looking to get into newborn photography, will stick with the animals thanks! :laugh:

I learnt a lot and should I ever be asked to do a newborn shoot again, I will know some things to do differently for next time!

yep, I always have the heat cranked up high (pre warn people that we will be dripping with sweat by the time we are finished), just so bub is comfy being naked (and even then, still have a dog bed warmer under the blankets too!!!! - but this also helps stop getting the extermities purple or bluish, and keeping an even skin tone across the bub. Another tip for anyone doing newborns - avoid white at all costs - it is a different grey value than the skin, and you will blow out the blanket trying to expose for the skin. Using stuff around that is similar grey values to the skin will help enormously.