Kids Tormenting Dogs Through The Fence

Staffyluv

Sorry but these children sound like "Children " If they do this : poke a bat through the fence , then this will happen: the dog barks when i pull it back through.. So you think mum and dad should be slapped for normal child behaviour?

OP talk to the parents you might be surprised at their reaction , just don't go off screaming at them, tell them what their darlings are doing and could you talk to them please ..

:-)

Parents should be slapped if they've never taught their kids not to torment animals, yes!

They aren't robots, you can teach small children things but it doesn't mean they always do as they are told!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on ya Ziggy!!!

God I'd be annoyed if one of my kids had ever done that...but ya know, they learnt respect at a very young age :)

Just the other day I had to inform the kids from next door not to put their fingers through the fence to try and pay our extremely boisterous 9 month old gsd...while their mother was watching...!

Well I'm sure I would get slapped by some of you then! My son isn't trying to torment animals but at 7 years of age, does not always understand dog behaviour and sometimes does things that the dogs might not like, he is always supervised with the dogs, but when he is outside by himself he often gets up to mischief.....

For all you know, the kids could have told their parents that the dog ate their stump, and the parents may well have said "Serve you right, if you were poking it through the fence". You have no idea how the parents have handled the situation or if they even know! Makes me very angry when the kid hater brigage get going on DOL :mad

I'm not only a kid hater, I'm a hater of the "they are only kids therefor they can do whatever they want" attitude as well as a parent hater :angeldevil:

(I'm joking, sort of).

If the dog had turned on the kids, you can rest assured the kids would not have been held responsible for their behaviour in tormenting the dog. Better not hold the kids responsible for their behaviour, they are only kids!

Guest donatella

Well I'm sure I would get slapped by some of you then! My son isn't trying to torment animals but at 7 years of age, does not always understand dog behaviour and sometimes does things that the dogs might not like, he is always supervised with the dogs, but when he is outside by himself he often gets up to mischief.....

For all you know, the kids could have told their parents that the dog ate their stump, and the parents may well have said "Serve you right, if you were poking it through the fence". You have no idea how the parents have handled the situation or if they even know! Makes me very angry when the kid hater brigage get going on DOL :mad

7 years old is old enough to understand that it's not ok to upset the dogs. I can understand a toddler doing it but you shouldn't be making excuses for him at that age.

7 years old is old enough to understand that it's not ok to upset the dogs. I can understand a toddler doing it but you shouldn't be making excuses for him at that age.

Defineately agree :)

At 7yrs of age (and younger) my two would comment on the little shits from next door rileing up the neighbours acd by running a stick back and forth along its fence.

I'm not a kid hater lol I have many nieces and nephews which I babysit on a regular basis and have plans to have my own children.

I hate it when parents don't supervise their children and then wonder why things go wrong and in most cases if the kids get bitten ( not saying ziggy would do this :) ) they blame the dog and go on a BSL rampage.

Don't assume people are kid haters just because they think the kids are being little brats and need to be chastised by their parents

This is a serious problem and if not addressed with your neighbours can become an ongoing issue. The parents need to be made aware that their children are doing this to your boy. It may be harmless fun for 7 year olds, but then again maybe it's not. They could grow into sadistic torturers of animals.

Our boy "Arnie" had his lovely temperament destroyed by young teens over our back fence poking brooms etc deliberately tormenting him to aggression completely unbeknown to us. We only discovered this when our adult daughter was home from work sick one day and heard him going off down the back. After being made aware of this I caught the boys on two other occasions teasing him when I was at home. God knows how long they had been doing this to him.

He now goes into red zone rage if one of our neighbours are working near the colourbond fence and on one occasion bit me in this state. We built an internal fence on the back to keep him separate mainly to protect him from a dangerous dog charge. Sadly now he hates children we have to be wary of him with strangers and we have to muzzle him to go to the vet.

eta

These a%#*holes ruined a beautiful dog :cry:

Edited by LOLAFOLATA

:(:cry: thats so horrible.... I feel so sorry for you Lolafolata :heart:

Yes, its not a matter of being a kid hater, kids of all ages need to know its wrong and as someone has said by 7 years old they know what they are doing.

Hoping it all gets resolved soon and poor ziggy doesn't have to put up with it anymore :)

Sorry to hear about your awful predicament Lolafolata :( That is just tragic. Cause by evil teenagers by all accounts :mad Just soooo unfair for poor Arnie.

I am NOT a child hater & if I was it would be totally irrelevant to the problem being discussed here. If this problem is NOT nipped in the bud now & these kids keep stirring up

poor Ziggy it could lead to irreparable damage. Not saying Ziggy would do this. As much as I hate to say it always seems that the dog ends up being blamed or damaged in some

way cause he has retaliate to being teased.As someone else said it could be a child's finger next or their whole hand for that matter. At 7 years of age they should know that it is

not the right thing to do to an animal. It is a parent's duty to teach their kids this. Just cause the kids are in the backyard doesn't mean that they don't need supervision.

My 4 year old niece will tell me how I should handle "Lola" her new Havanese pup, "you must support her back legs when you pick her up" she tells me. Apparently I was doing a

pretty good job though :laugh:

So hopefully these parents will pull their kids into line & keep them away from the boundary fence so Ziggy can get peace.

Good on ya Ziggy!!!

God I'd be annoyed if one of my kids had ever done that...but ya know, they learnt respect at a very young age :)

Just the other day I had to inform the kids from next door not to put their fingers through the fence to try and pay our extremely boisterous 9 month old gsd...while their mother was watching...!

Very true F11, totally agree. Good for you speaking up in front of the mother, I would of done the exact same thing. :)

Ditto what Lola said - please discuss this with your neighbour asap and block off any access.

You don't know if your dog has had enough of this already or when he will have.

I have also had a beautiful dog "ruined" by feral children (yes these were) - thanks to them he will never have the life and opportunities he could have had.

This is a serious problem and if not addressed with your neighbours can become an ongoing issue. The parents need to be made aware that their children are doing this to your boy. It may be harmless fun for 7 year olds, but then again maybe it's not. They could grow into sadistic torturers of animals.

Our boy "Arnie" had his lovely temperament destroyed by young teens over our back fence poking brooms etc deliberately tormenting him to aggression completely unbeknown to us. We only discovered this when our adult daughter was home from work sick one day and heard him going off down the back. After being made aware of this I caught the boys on two other occasions teasing him when I was at home. God knows how long they had been doing this to him.

He now goes into red zone rage if one of our neighbours are working near the colourbond fence and on one occasion bit me in this state. We built an internal fence on the back to keep him separate mainly to protect him from a dangerous dog charge. Sadly now he hates children we have to be wary of him with strangers and we have to muzzle him to go to the vet.

eta

These a%#*holes ruined a beautiful dog :cry:

Sorry but these children sound like "Children " If they do this : poke a bat through the fence , then this will happen: the dog barks when i pull it back through.. So you think mum and dad should be slapped for normal child behaviour?

OP talk to the parents you might be surprised at their reaction , just don't go off screaming at them, tell them what their darlings are doing and could you talk to them please ..

Parents should be slapped if they've never taught their kids not to torment animals, yes!

I don't see how tormenting animals is "normal child behaviour".It certainly wasn't on my list of fun things to do as a kid.

I don't see how tormenting animals is "normal child behaviour".It certainly wasn't on my list of fun things to do as a kid.

Me neither Stan's mum. And although my children are not angels by any means, neither of them would torment an animal. :(

But then, they have been raised to be interested in/ care about all creatures big and small.

Well I can see that there are many experts here on raising children of all developmental types, so I won't bother arguing about if you should slap someone for not treating the kids the way you think they should- I can definately see the world would be a better place if we all went around dictating to other people (with a slap or two for good measure) how to raise children.

BTW I would be exactly as the OP, and be happy my dog took the wicket, I just don't agree with the venom leveled at parents you don't know, in a situation you have heard of second hand......

Well I can see that there are many experts here on raising children of all developmental types, so I won't bother arguing about if you should slap someone for not treating the kids the way you think they should- I can definately see the world would be a better place if we all went around dictating to other people (with a slap or two for good measure) how to raise children.

BTW I would be exactly as the OP, and be happy my dog took the wicket, I just don't agree with the venom leveled at parents you don't know, in a situation you have heard of second hand......

Nah, you don't have to be an 'expert' to supervise your kids in your own yard (or anywhere else for that matter)...

You didn't get what I was actually saying.. I will explain for you , actually all of you that didn't get what I was saying.

Normal child behaviour as in cause and effect. "If i do this then this will happen"

I was not saying that it is acceptable behaviour to torment an animal, did you really think I meant that, bloody hell. These children whether right or wrong got a reaction, they didn't whack the dog to get the reaction they as the op said poked a bat through the fence then pulled it back so the dog barked. Simple to fix or address, talk the the parents..

This is also why we should all have girls :-)

You didn't get what I was actually saying.. I will explain for you , actually all of you that didn't get what I was saying.

Normal child behaviour as in cause and effect. "If i do this then this will happen"

I was not saying that it is acceptable behaviour to torment an animal, did you really think I meant that, bloody hell. These children whether right or wrong got a reaction, they didn't whack the dog to get the reaction they as the op said poked a bat through the fence then pulled it back so the dog barked. Simple to fix or address, talk the the parents..

This is also why we should all have girls :-)

I agree, it may be the case that they are dodgy parents who will do nothing, or they may not have noticed and be happy to stop their kids from annoying the dog- you don't know until you approach them in a reasonable way about it.

Whoa! Take it easy - kids are kids and their parents may not know.

Personally I would have a casual chat to the parents and let them know what happened. They may be thinking this is harmless fun. If they know you are nervous about it, they may be willing to intervene with the kids.

And I think blocking the hole in the fence is also really important. You could let your neighbour know that you've done this to try and help prevent something going wrong in the future.

But keep the chat friendly and relaxed. So far no real harm has been done. And the kids sound like they are trying to play with the dog, not hurt the dog. So while their behaviour isn't ideal, it's been harmless so far and the trick is to keep the chat friendly while still communicating why you feel it needs to change.

Just my thoughts

I agree. :thumbsup: The kids need to be educated and their parents need to be told.

I have spoken to the kids dozens of times about jumping in my yard to get their toys - I took down a 6 foot iron fence so they wouldn't hurt themselves and just left the normal 1200 high paling fence - not sure what is worse, worrying about them cutting themselves on the iron fence trying to get over and back or tormenting the dog through the paling fence...

The parents are total toads - these are the ones from years ago that we believed put a piece of steak over the fence with what looked like green ratsak in it.. Lucky for us Ollie wouldn't eat anything raw, so he never ate it and Dan found it in the yard... We can't prove it so we just stayed away from them - mind you they didn't have any kids back then...

They also have a dog so I don't want any issues with them...

I guess Ziggy will just end up with more toys :thumbsup:

Me neither Stan's mum. And although my children are not angels by any means, neither of them would torment an animal. :(

But then, they have been raised to be interested in/ care about all creatures big and small.

I don't think they deliberately torment him to hurt him - I think it is more a case of he is there and they come to the fence so he gets excited and they respond by putting something through the fence and he grabs it..

I honestly don't think they mean to cause harm to him, they really are just being kids (kids who lose their toys to the boofhead next door type kids)...

Mumof4girls I did get what you were saying beleive me as a kid I knew what" if I do this then this will happen" it meant I'd have mum weilding the wooden spoon and I wouldn't sit down for a while.Of course I don't think you would let your children torment an animal I was just saying for ME as a child I wouldn't find this a fun thing to do.Erinonthefarm I am in no way an expert on children as I have none.My only experience is that I was one.