Alternatives To Using Elizabethan Collar

Hi Guys,

Just 2 days ago we got our 10 month old male Golden Retriever desexed. It went really well, my only problem is the vet told us to leave the Elizabethan collar on for 10 days until the stitches come out. While we are around him we take the collar off and on the odd time he goes to lick down there we tell him no and he stops. The problem with the collar is it's ruining our house and probable hurting dex when he walks it into things. We have to leave him for a few hours tomorrow and I don't want to leave the collar on him while we are out, are there any alternatives to stop him pulling the stitches out, he really doesn't seem bothered by them, but is there something else we can do to stop him licking them. Thanks in advance

If he's not bothered by them, and not touching them, is there is a need to leave the collar on?

There are alternatives to the elizabethan collars, including soft collars (so they don't bash into things!), and soft rings that go around the neck (sort of like those small blow-up pillows you take in the car to sleep on that go around your neck). I'm sure others here will have more detail on them though, or use the forum search function and you'll come up with a heap.

I just put a wound dressing on my pups stitches when she was alone, didn't bother with the collar, and that suited her best.

Edited by minimax

Guest donatella

I got my girl desexed and refused the collar and the stitches lasted fine. Actually I've never used a collar for desexing and that's 2 boys 2 girls no worries.

So long as you can monitor them I don't see the fuss. years ago all dogs were desexed without use of the collar.

Thanks for all the advice, I feel alot better now that he doesn't have to always have it on. It was just the way the vet said it made it sound like it had to be on him for 24/7 for the next 10 days. He's had it off all day and so far hasn't licked the wound. Thank again

I got my girl desexed and refused the collar and the stitches lasted fine. Actually I've never used a collar for desexing and that's 2 boys 2 girls no worries.

So long as you can monitor them I don't see the fuss. years ago all dogs were desexed without use of the collar.

Same here. I have never had to use an E collar on any dog after any sort of surgery. They used to be the exception for dogs that just wouldn't leave the wound alone but now they seem to stick them on every dog and I have no idea why. I always ask for minimal clipping because I find they worry far more about clipper rash from a large clipped area than they do about stitches.

My recent rescue foster wouldn't leave his alone and managed to get the stitches out with the collar on. Thankfully the wound had healed, I agree that it was more so the clipper rash that was bothering him more. The collar was ridiculous and he bumped into everything, including us.

Hi Guys,

Just 2 days ago we got our 10 month old male Golden Retriever desexed. It went really well, my only problem is the vet told us to leave the Elizabethan collar on for 10 days until the stitches come out. While we are around him we take the collar off and on the odd time he goes to lick down there we tell him no and he stops. The problem with the collar is it's ruining our house and probable hurting dex when he walks it into things. We have to leave him for a few hours tomorrow and I don't want to leave the collar on him while we are out, are there any alternatives to stop him pulling the stitches out, he really doesn't seem bothered by them, but is there something else we can do to stop him licking them. Thanks in advance

If he had to wear the collar, I'd have recommended he be crated in it. No walking into things then.

You can also get bitter tasting sprays that can be used to deter licking.

If you have time to watch him and he's not licking then just don't use it. Our girl was never given a collar when she was desexed and anytime she licked I just said "No Bitty". She barely licked at all and healed up very quickly.

Hi Guys,

If he had to wear the collar, I'd have recommended he be crated in it. No walking into things then.

You can also get bitter tasting sprays that can be used to deter licking.

I have a bitter taste liquid that I buy from the vet.Both of my greyhounds are chronic lickers and a little bit of this around the wound.....will not touch it.They look like they have just sucked on a lemon if they try :)

Edited by stans mum

I know its too late for the the op now but intradermal stiches are great. When i was vet nursing our clinic changed to intradermal sutures for all desexings (dogs and cats male and female) which pretty much eliminated the need for e-collars, we only ever had one male dog get his out partly.