Homeless People In The City With Dogs

samoyedman

Hey Sam it's like a whole nuther universe, isn't it! So many beautiful and fascinating things about China (and I only went to Shianghai), and so many challenging things too.

Don't go into a pet shop :(

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mantis, I was putting things in perspective thats all. The dogs I saw on Saturday in Sydney don't compare to the poor wretched creatures I am seeing here.

OK, so you no longer want dogs taken away from homeless people, excellent. :thumbsup:

Only if they cannot look after them properly and the health of the dog is at risk. I think that is a reasonable position to take.

Why take the dogs off them, which would probably end in the dogs being PTS? Don't you think that the suggestions by the majority of posters in this thread is a better solution, giving supplies & help so they can keep their dogs?

In these situations if you really want to help it's best to give dog food/items, that way you know it's going to the actual dogs

Sure, but it was in the concrete jungle of the CBD and I don't carry doggy items on me. I wasn't expecting to see this.

I know it shocks you when you first come face to face with it but nothing is ever simple and the whole situation needs to be looked at in much greater wider detail before we start calling for them to have their animals removed. Many of them are homeless BECAUSE of their animals as they cant find animal friendly cheap accommodation and they choose to live on the street rather than abandon them

I really agree with this! I believe that for many people this would be true. A friend of mine recently lost her job, and then her house, and she decided she would rather live on the streets than go into shelters or departmental housing where she would she would be forced to live without her animals, and have them surrended. Thankfully, her family helped her, and she now lives happily with an Aunt and her three dogs... but for many there is no option. I know personally, I would never be torn from my dogs no matter what! Sometimes life hands you some awful choices and I am glad that there is an organisation like yours around to help. I am now on your website and am considering how I can help by volunteering.

Guest Willow

There are numerous photos on the internet of homeless people with their dogs and the dogs look so connected to their human I think they would go anywhere with them. Those connections are very important to marginalised people as well and the pet may not get the level of care we would give to them but as long as they are not malnourished, injured or in pain then I think we have to show some compassion and understanding.

Slightly OT but I was out at lunchtime and walked past a homeless man sitting on a small concrete edge with his pants pulled down slightly, doing a poo into a garden bed. Right next to the bus stop and outside the shops. He was quite delicate about it, bless him!

:eek: That's horrid! There are plaenty of public toilets around, there is no need for someone to defecate in a public street.

homeless.jpg

:cry: No the rangers should not take the dogs off them. These dogs would probably be taken to the pound & PTS. The person who has lost everything loses their friend & more.

Go back & find them & take some food for them both if they are on your mind.

That pic says it all, I cry when I see it, so much love even after life has dealt you a bad hand. :cry:

Only if they cannot look after them properly and the health of the dog is at risk. I think that is a reasonable position to take.

How about society provides the means for supporting the homeless who struggle with the health of their dogs rather than removal since, as you agreed that, dogs provide a therapeutic benefit to their owners? Perhaps we need to think laterally rather than going straight to the assumed easiest/best/logical/ etc solution.

If we always take the economic rationalist solutions to societies problems then many people wouldn't/shouldn't have children or pets...and where do we draw the line in the sand? People often don't have economic means for a variety of reasons and some that do have economic means aren't necessarily providing the emotional, social and physical care that their pets (and sometimes children) require.

As you can gather, i'm not a fan of economic rationalisation.

I agree with what others have said. I would much prefer to offer assistance with food, flea treatments, wormers etc rather than to call rangers to remove dogs from people who are homeless.

I have seen so many well cared for dogs owned by people who are homeless. As others have said the bond appears to be at a soul level. Offering their friend food before themselves, ensuring they are safe and well cared for.

Compare that to the hundreds of people who are far better off, who get up on a sunday morning with the kids and surrender their pet between 7-9am. Despite being told there is a real possibility that their dog may be pts they all happily wave "bye Buddy" as the poor soul bum plants and looks back at the owners while being taken through the door.

Life really sucks sometimes, i.e that there have to be homeless anybodies in the real world..but who are we, any of us, to say, what makes a good relationship..I think you have to find love where you can and if these homeless humans and animals find it with each other...then let them be - with a bit of 'help' of course on the side.

If I saw a homeless person with a dog I would be concerned for both the person and for the dog and I would be giving food to both. What a wretched life and how consoling it must be to cuddle up with a dog when humanity seems to have abandoned you. A dog can give so much comfort. These homeless people should be allowed to keep their dogs and both should be fed and provided with protection from the elements. Dogs should be welcome in homeless shelters.

:clap:

Remember the Michael Jackson song "Ben" ,when he was still a child?

It was about a street kid and his pet sewer rat. Love is where you can find it.

Edited by LizT

If I saw a homeless person with a dog I would be concerned for both the person and for the dog and I would be giving food to both. What a wretched life and how consoling it must be to cuddle up with a dog when humanity seems to have abandoned you. A dog can give so much comfort. These homeless people should be allowed to keep their dogs and both should be fed and provided with protection from the elements. Dogs should be welcome in homeless shelters.

:clap:

Remember the Michael Jackson song "Ben" ,when he was still a child?

It was about a street kid and his pet sewer rat. Love is where you can find it.

That song made me cry!!!!

It does bring up many questions doesn't it?

Considering taking the dog away because its perhaps not getting the best care and diet but sort of just forgetting that the person on the other end of the lead is sharing life with the dog and needs help to be able to care for themselves and the dog. That the dog is probably simply mirroring their own health and ability to access the basics.

How do we focus on the dog and not the person.

How sad.

Considering taking the dog away because its perhaps not getting the best care and diet but sort of just forgetting that the person on the other end of the lead is sharing life with the dog and needs help to be able to care for themselves and the dog. That the dog is probably simply mirroring their own health and ability to access the basics.

How sad.

Really, how dare we focus on the dog and not the person. They are a very tight package! Removal of said dog could lead to a very downward spiral, dare I say even more self destructive. :(

How sad.

Really, how dare we focus on the dog and not the person. They are a very tight package! Removal of said dog could lead to a very downward spiral, dare I say even more self destructive. :(

I think perhaps I didnt write what I meant very clearly .I didnt mean we should focus only on the dog. I think its sad that some only focus on the dog. I meant that some seem to put more importance on the dog over the human and as you say it should be the package we look at.

How sad.

I think perhaps I didnt write what I meant very clearly .I didnt mean we should focus only on the dog. I think its sad that some only focus on the dog. I meant that some seem to put more importance on the dog over the human and as you say it should be the package we look at.

No, you were clear enough, I understood what you meant and I was just expanding on it. :)

I met with my case worker today who's involved with the Salvos & I mentioned to him about this topic. He is going to let me know where around the Yarra Ranges area, the homeless with dogs usually are. So hopefully I might be able to help them.

I also told him about Pacers & he was excited, he said so many times people who contact emergency housing with pets, refuse housing because they won't get rid of their pets. He said that he's sure that if Pacers fostered pets for these people, that the Salvos would help with funding for the carers if needed. :thumbsup:

I met with my case worker today who's involved with the Salvos & I mentioned to him about this topic. He is going to let me know where around the Yarra Ranges area, the homeless with dogs usually are. So hopefully I might be able to help them.

I also told him about Pacers & he was excited, he said so many times people who contact emergency housing with pets, refuse housing because they won't get rid of their pets. He said that he's sure that if Pacers fostered pets for these people, that the Salvos would help with funding for the carers if needed. :thumbsup:

Thank you for passing us on to him - we also find lots of women who should leave home wont do so because it leaves the abuser behind with the animals - refuges wont take animals - so many of our clients come from that area too.

We should be able to sort out a delivery of dog food for you if you want to hand some around too.