Mogo Zoo

KumaAkita

We had a plan to meet family for lunch at Bateman's Bay today, and ended up at Mogo Zoo for the afternoon. Rather unexpected side trip, but I'm glad I thought to take my camera with me, and even better, remembered to chuck in my zoom lens.

This was two firsts for me today - 1) first trip to the zoo; and 2) first real experience with my zoom lens. There are some photos I'm not happy with, and I would welcome comments/critique on them so I can learn how to be a better "zootographer". The ruddy chain link fencing is a bit of a bastard to shoot around, and keeping the camera still with a fully extended zoom is a challenge (left tripod at home!)

7272485338_697f65a8f6.jpg

Hard work being the alfa cat by KumaAkita, on Flickr

7272486310_eaf852004f.jpg

Lunch Time! by KumaAkita, on Flickr

7272486774_751b2cf567.jpg

Feeding Time! by KumaAkita, on Flickr

7272487248_d4cea91658.jpg

Meerkat by KumaAkita, on Flickr

7272488810_1d1bf94345.jpg

Helllooooo! by KumaAkita, on Flickr

The rest of the album is here

Edited by KumaAkita

What a fun, unexpected outing!

For the first two lions, zoom or crop onto the faces - the body and the background don't work at all and simply look cluttered & snapshotish.

Love the meerkat sitting up, cute pose caught! I would have liked to see him looking into the frame (so he's on the left instead of the right).

I would welcome comments/critique on them so I can learn how to be a better "zootographer".

you did ask :o

I love the expression on this sleepy face ..and big paddy paws... and wanted to try so he can be seen without distraction ...so had a play again.... hope you don't mind. Definitely not an expert opinion, but it might give you some ideas .(and I like playing :p ) Just done in photoscape

post-1359-0-23462700-1338079378_thumb.jpg

Guest Tess32

I had a look at your Flickr page and I think most of them are out of focus, so I think your first step is mastering focus using your camera and in particular, with whatever zoom lens you used. I can't see your settings, but if you'd like to post them that might help. On the Tiger it looks like your shutter speed was too low...but I can only guess without your settings.

The reality with zoo shots is that sometimes a bad background is unavoidable, and you need to make a decision or two. If you can process it later on and get rid of it, take the shot. If you can't, don't bother. If you just want to focus on getting better at focus or exposure etc, then use the shot just as practice. Zoo shots with "zoo" stuff in the background (unless specifically doing a doco shot) are snapshots, because no one really wants to be reminded of the chain link fencing near such animals such as a Tiger and Lion. Sometimes it's just about luck, sometimes it's about waiting for the animal to move. I never bother to visit the Lions at my zoo after 1/2pm because I know they won't be doing anything, for eg.

Composition wise, I'd wait for the meerkat to turn the head the opposite way so he/she is looking into the space, or reposition your camera.

I like the Giraffe, you just need to lighten that up. The problem there is that you've exposed (and undereposed a tad) for the SKY, so the animal itself is too dark. To change this you need to learn about the different 'metering' options your camera has.

Thanks for the feedback! I've been crazy busy and have not been able to have a go at re-editing them. Hopefully I'll grab some time this weekend.

Love the meerkat sitting up, cute pose caught! I would have liked to see him looking into the frame (so he's on the left instead of the right).

The little bastard was actually looking right at me but moved just as I pressed the shutter, so that photo is a blur has his head twisted to the side. Cheeky shit. He was playing up to me too! This was the best of the bunch.

I'm still getting my head around all the settings and stuff, so it's all a learning game at this point. Some of them are not worthy of putting up for anything more than constructive critique. It was a really fun day, but next time will take my little tripod so I can get steader photos. :D

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment, much appreciated!