Missy Threw Up

Hi everyone on our way back home from obedience Missy threw up half her dinner undigested. She had pork mince,beef chunks,chicken giblets,a lamb heart,carrots,bok choy,celery,sardines,eggs and shells,flaxseed oil,yoghurt and cottage cheese.

Do you realise you do not have to stuff all of this into her every day in one meal? Spread it out over the week! One type of protein per day is plenty. Poor dog will end up with a massive dose of indigestion! No wonder she threw up.

To be fair my dogs probably get a similar mix (without any pork) on a regular basis. I do a 'mix' of meat and veggies once a month and everything goes in in and gets frozen. If the dogs are used to it its not a big problem. I add in yoghurt and cheese extra, not in my mix based on how chubby the individual dog is.

I would be worried about the high fat content over time though.

I don't feed my dogs for an hr before or after any real exercise and its just small amounts of chicken during exercise to decrease the risk of indigestion.

Edited by Jumabaar

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest english.ivy

The mix looks fine to me. My dogs' diet consists of mainly pork, lamb and beef. Don't understand why people have to be so harsh.

No one is being harsh, go back and read previous posts by MTS. We're all concerned for her dogs and IMO, pork is too fatty and rich for a dog who keeps having its diet changed and has apparently been sick recently.

She was feed optimum puppy and raw mince or bones when I got her at 12 weeks old, When she was 7 months I switched her to black hawk and raw mince or bones. She has been on black hawk and raw mince/bones till 2 weeks ago as she was having horrible gas on black hawk, SO I tryed raw but in this town can't get cheap meat or bones, Just for 4 chicken frames cost $6. I'm trying to find a food that agrees with Missys stomach, She didn't like earthborn coastal catch she might not like a fish based kibble. I'm thinking she is allergic to lamb, I know she loves chicken so I'm trying to find a chicken based kibble. I'm thinking of trying earthborn primative natural.Missy has been fine today back to her normal self.

Edited by mumtoshelley

Just for 4 chicken frames cost $6.

That sounds about right. At 500g per frame that would work out to $3 per kilo which is the standard price at butchers and supermarkets. If you buy by the box you'll probably get them cheaper again. How much are you feeding her?

Don't you have a Leonards there? They're usually cheaper.

Edited by SecretKei

If you are working through the proteins to find out what suits her and what doesn't, it would be best if you didn't feed so many different protein sources all at the one time. Work out what you want to feed her and space it over a period of a couple of weeks or four.

Steady as she goes.

My dog promptly threw up a pigs trotter after he'd spent some joyful time chewing it up and swallowing it. I think it was too rich for him and/or a protein that his body rejected.

I'm about to send off another saliva sample to be analysed under the Dr Jean Dodds/Hemopet/Nutriscan "Food Introlerance Test" they have available. I did the first one they had, but it has since been expanded to include quite a few more protein sources.

That sounds about right. At 500g per frame that would work out to $3 per kilo which is the standard price at butchers and supermarkets. If you buy by the box you'll probably get them cheaper again. How much are you feeding her?

No leonards here, Raw food I can get her to eat 1 cup in the morning 1 cup at night, With kibble I'm lucky to get her to eat 3/4 cup with alot of encourgement. Even when I first got her she wasn't overly keen on kibble.

I'm guessing a 'cup' is about 300g or so? Therefore you would be feeding her over half a kilo of food per day?

My 37kg dog only needs 600-700g of meat/bones + a couple of tablespoons of minced veg per night. Obviously all dogs are different but I can't imagine a whippet would need all that much?

Try feeding her less and keep it simple. If she doesn't eat then she goes hungry, proving she's healthy it wont hurt her. Sounds like your overfeeding and creating a fussy dog.

If you're prepared to drive and buy in bulk Rosedales (in Berri) sell roo and chicken at $3 per kilo. PM me if you want more details.

Oh I thought I might be over feeding her, Shes still in great shape not overweight at all. I do buy raw mince from bucket o beef, I get chicken,chicken and roo, this week I'm getting beef and roo and roo chunks. I buy turkey wings and legs at the supermarket per pack cost me about $5, If I give them bones Missy and my old golden get 1 turkey wing,shelley gets a turkey leg,rascal gets half a turkey wing. Maybe your right I'm making her fussy, maybe giving to much variety in one meal. The meats I can get cheaply here are hearts and chicken giblets, I mainly give veggies to fill them up more.My parents think I'm going overboard eg I should cut out the veggies and give a bone some mince and chunky meat daily,organs,yoghurt etc once a week.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I think your over thinking and over doing the feeding, It sounds like you want to do the right thing by your dogs and I know getting their diet right with more than one dog can prove difficult. How old is Missy now? If she has only been on the black hawk for a short time with added mince and RMBs, it could have been too much protein, you may have been better eliminating the mince and trying just the kibble. Black Hawk can be a meal in itself, however my lot get chicken/necks/wings/bones a couple of times a week but the kibble is their main diet and they don't get a lot of it.

Black hawks new variety will be chicken and rice, perhaps Missy will like that better. What ever you feed her, she needs time to adjust to the new food. And given enough time to prove beneficial or not. Earthborn is a super premium food with a few different varietys that may suit Missy if she doesn't like the fish one. I'm pretty sure Earthborn has a few grain free varieties too.

I think you need to go back to basics and not overthink the whole food dilemma!

Edited to add, my lot (all four of them) have no farting problems at all with black hawk but they do with lamb bones. I still feed the occasional lamb bone and put up with the wind.

Edited by tlc

Oh I thought I might be over feeding her, Shes still in great shape not overweight at all. I do buy raw mince from bucket o beef, I get chicken,chicken and roo, this week I'm getting beef and roo and roo chunks. I buy turkey wings and legs at the supermarket per pack cost me about $5, If I give them bones Missy and my old golden get 1 turkey wing,shelley gets a turkey leg,rascal gets half a turkey wing. Maybe your right I'm making her fussy, maybe giving to much variety in one meal. The meats I can get cheaply here are hearts and chicken giblets, I mainly give veggies to fill them up more.My parents think I'm going overboard eg I should cut out the veggies and give a bone some mince and chunky meat daily,organs,yoghurt etc once a week.

Reading your other thread on raw feeding I tend to agree - you are (IMO) making it overly complicated and expensive. Seriously, consider feeding VAN. Cheap, easy and balanced for a young dog. All you need to do it soak it and mix with the appropriate amount of raw meat (which it sounds like you have access to). Easy to make up a weeks worth or more and freeze too. You can request get a free sample here: http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=85

Have you read the Ian Billinghurst books? http://www.barfaustralia.com/products.php?pid=2

These will also point you in the right direction for raw feeding.

Gosh, that sounds quite expensive. I pay $1 per kilo for chicken frames at the butcher. I wouldn't even consider the supermarket, as they are always over the top with their pricing unless they have a really good special.

Guest english.ivy

Maybe someone here can help write up a food plan for MTS to try? Help her make easy, cost effective raw food to feed with a dry food.

I praise you for trying MTS :) But you need to keep it simple.

No leonards here, Raw food I can get her to eat 1 cup in the morning 1 cup at night, With kibble I'm lucky to get her to eat 3/4 cup with alot of encourgement. Even when I first got her she wasn't overly keen on kibble.

With a really top quality kibble, 3/4 cup is all she should be getting along with a raw meaty bone.

I feed RAW but never pork. As others have said, too fatty. And I never exercise for at least 1 hour after a meal.

Also as previously posted I would keep it simple with one particular meat per meal with offal/fish added once only a week.

Hope Missy is OK today.

MTS, I think you have said in the past that Missy is not to keen on dry? How much time have you given her to let her get used to it. I wouldn't say mine are Absolutley extatic about eating dry everyday, but in realistic terms they get what they need from it and it has proved to be good for them, like I said a few times a week they get some RMB/chicken wings. One of my girls try's me out every night, looks at her bowl of food then comes and sits by my feet waiting for an alternative which she does not get, she is kind of like a kid who would prefer to eat maccas every night rather than a home cooked meal. :laugh: so if she doesn't eat, her food goes up and an hour later she gets it again it's then she usually eats the whole bowl.

I think saying a dog doesn't like something is a bit of a cop out, I hate Veges but I still eat them as I know I need them for healthy teeth, skin, hair, body etc. Don't get me wrong, I've been known to say "my dog doesn't like that" as I had a world of trouble with Cooper as a younger dog, turns out in my feeding him raw he just did not tolerate it and preferred dry and even now he prefers his dry meal to bones, he still eats the bones but prefers dry. Hope that makes sense.

You've been given a lot of advice here, hopefully you will take it on board, perhaps you could go to a fully super premium holistic food like Earthborn and feed only that for a while and see how she goes. It will be costly if you feed all your dogs on it as it is not a cheap food. I have found the BH to be excellent both in quality and price and performance wise my dogs are a picture of health both in body, energy wise, muscle tone good and great coats. Can't fault it really and also I'm very lucky all of mine are doing well on it and I don't have to buy different foods.

How is Missy today any more vomiting?

Any more progress with getting your sisters dog to the vet?

Missy is 10.5 months old she has been on black hawk since she was 7 months old. So she was eatting black hawk for 3 months, The bad gas only started happening since I started feeding black hawk. Even when I got her at 12 weeks old she wasn't very keen on kibble kept having to encourge her to eat it, The most she will eat in kibble is 3/4 cup and still at times she will only eat half then leave the rest. If she doesn't eat I do not give her anything else I make her go hungry. Missy is great no more vomiting is back to normal, I was planing on only feeding earthborn holistic primative natural grain free to Missy. The other dogs can still be feed black hawk as they have no worries with that, I may try the chicken and rice black hawk when it comes out. Earthborn holistic grain free is quite expensive for the 6.8kg bag it will cost me $80 from petstock.

My sister hasn't taken Misty to the vets she is now putting on weight a week ago she weighed 9.8kg on monday she weighed 10.2kg. Hopefully Misty continues to put on weight and doesn't go down hill again.