Missy Threw Up

How can I tell if she is allergic to grains? She can eat cooked brown rice without problems and oats she is fine with. From what I've read maize is the same as corn and corn is something I don't really want in dog food. From what I've read and seen online it said potatoes are better cause there a whole food and there cooked, Don't know if its true or not its just what I have seen online. They say the first 6 ingredients is what is most in the food. They also said by products are no good. The kibbles I can get locally are pro plan,eukanuba,Iams,holistic select,eagle pack,science diet,royal canin,advance,earthborn holistic. Out of all them which brands do you reckon I should try?

I think I already gave my recommendation. A lot of sighthound folk feed RC. Other popular choices are Advance and Pro Plan

Try them until you find one she likes. Then stop.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can I tell if she is allergic to grains? She can eat cooked brown rice without problems and oats she is fine with. From what I've read maize is the same as corn and corn is something I don't really want in dog food. From what I've read and seen online it said potatoes are better cause there a whole food and there cooked, Don't know if its true or not its just what I have seen online. They say the first 6 ingredients is what is most in the food. They also said by products are no good. The kibbles I can get locally are pro plan,eukanuba,Iams,holistic select,eagle pack,science diet,royal canin,advance,earthborn holistic. Out of all them which brands do you reckon I should try?

what makes you think the dog is allergic to grain?

As for the food, start with a small bag of the first one and keep going until you find the one that the dog likes and does well on. Very simple really.

Looking back a this thread, you had researched how to feed raw and set about making a raw diet. I thought your diet looked good.

So Missy is liking the food and doing well on it.

She vomits ONCE after a seemingly busy night, could have been anxiety related, car sickness, stress etc etc etc and you want to change her diet after one event?

I thought it looked good too, but some people don't think its balanced all my guys are doing good on raw there poos are smaller they no longer smell,they actually look forward to there meal. By the next day there poos are white. They do get vets all natural health booster supplement with each meal. I just had 2 problems cutting the cost and feeding to much. My problem is putting 2 0r 3 different proteins in the one meal. Also someone said I am giving to much yoghurt and cottage cheese I only add 2 tablespoons of each in my batch. Oh someone also said to much flaxseed oil is bad for them and I should be switching between that and another oil, what other omega 3 and 6 oil can I use? I can get emu oil from the health food store. I also know they don't really need veggies but I add them just to keep the dogs feeling full.

this is what it says about chicken meal

Chicken Meal

Chicken meal is considered to be the best protein source in pet foods because it is cooked chicken without the water included. The chicken is typically baked and rid of any bacteria and toxins. When you buy a product with chicken meal in it you are paying for the entire weight of the chicken, instead of water with a little bit of chicken.

Chicken Meal

Chicken meal is considered to be the best protein source in pet foods because it is cooked chicken without the water included. The chicken is typically baked and rid of any bacteria and toxins. When you buy a product with chicken meal in it you are paying for the entire weight of the chicken, instead of water with a little bit of chicken.

Who/where is "it"

And your point is??

Seriously, this is starting to be like the tale of the two men and the donkey. Show me an opinion about some aspect of canine nutrition and I won't have to look too far to find another view.

The best test of what food to feed your dog is sitting right in front of you. Provided you are feeding a balanced diet, give the dog what she likes.

You're making this far harder than it has to be. Again.

Why don't you just buy the Vets All Natural mix you mix with meat??? would probably workout cheaper than what you are doing now.

I was thinking of it a 5kg bag wouldn't last 2 golden retrievers,a whippet and a chihuahua long. plus 1 cup of the vets all natural mixed to a cup of raw meat seemed like alot of vets all natural mix to me, eg feeding more of the mix then meat.

Chicken Meal

Who/where is "it"

And your point is??

I have a feeling this is all coming from the ever reliable wikipedia!

Dogs don't give a toss about our feeding philosophies. But they do know what they like.

I'm inclined to agree. Although I balance it out by reminding myself they think a pile of sheep poo is a gourmet lunch.

From my understanding corn is not ideal because it can affect serotonin balance, so if a dog is unsettled or hyperactive corn should be looked at as a possible contributor. But plenty of dogs aren't affected by it. Just like some people can't handle dairy,or gluten, or red food colouring, the individual differences are just too great to say what will be best until it's tried out for a good amount of time. And there might not be one best diet, there could be plenty of options that work.

Puking once is no big deal. Watch her coat condition, her body shape and her behaviour and tweak if you think something should change. I spent about 6-8 months figuring out the type and amounts of food that provide a good balance between nutrition, availability and efficiency. Be patient :)

Chicken Meal

yes...thats been rendered at extremely high temperatures...then cooked again! Yes, your paying for the weight of a well and truly cremated animal! The only benefit is the protein, as not much else survives the process. It's "rid of any bacteria and toxins".... and also vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc.

Don't just read what the marketing department wants you to read. Research and read from independent and, hopefully, unbiased sources.

Why don't you just buy the Vets All Natural mix you mix with meat??? would probably workout cheaper than what you are doing now.

I was thinking of it a 5kg bag wouldn't last 2 golden retrievers,a whippet and a chihuahua long. plus 1 cup of the vets all natural mixed to a cup of raw meat seemed like alot of vets all natural mix to me, eg feeding more of the mix then meat.

Read the instructions about it, 5kg dry should make 10kg wet. I don't think its 50/50, more like 80/20.

I was thinking of doing this one day chicken mince in the morning then at night chicken mince,chicken giblets,little bit of chicken heart, Then the next day chciken and roo mince in the morning at night chicken and roo mince with roo chunks. Now could I still add some flaxseed oil and the vets all natural health booster to there night meals? the next day they will get a bone in the morning at night some mince with chunky meat. Is this still to complicated?

I was thinking of doing this one day chicken mince in the morning then at night chicken mince,chicken giblets,little bit of chicken heart, Then the next day chciken and roo mince in the morning at night chicken and roo mince with roo chunks. Now could I still add some flaxseed oil and the vets all natural health booster to there night meals? the next day they will get a bone in the morning at night some mince with chunky meat. Is this still to complicated?

So basically the entire discussion just had here has been an utter waste of time because this basically is the diet you said Missy threw up.

Where's the calcium/phosphorus balance in this????

Kerist but you are frustrating.

Did you READ what I said about flaxseed oil?

Seriously feed whatever the hell you want but save us the trouble of discussing nutrition with you and stop bloody asking for advice you simply NEVER take. :banghead:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Do you actually ever READ anything that anyone writes?? Or do you just keep waffling on in your own little world? You have been given a great deal of advice but your replies make it obvious you aren't really interested in any input that is offered.:confused: :confused: So, whose time are you wasting?

I think there is enough info for you to decide.

I'm off to feed my lot (should take about 2min!!!)

Honestly? Your saying 'I will feed some roo mince with some roo chunks'. Levels of oxidization from surface area is getting way to over the top for me :laugh:

Probably not. A 5kg bag would make around 25kg of food. It's not half/half either, you'd soak 1kg of VAN mix with 1L of water then mix with 3kg of meat = 5kg of made up food.

Why not buy a 1kg bag to try? If they like it you can buy in 15kg bags which works out cheaper in the long run (at around $3-4 per kilo made up) and should last you for quite some time.

Given a 5kg bag lasts my 60kg dog around 40 days I am guessing it would last you as long if not longer.

I really don't see why it's so difficult to feed these dogs. My dogs live on kibble and get a frozen chicken/turkey wing every second or third day.

The reason Missy probably isn't eating is because she's been trained to be fussy. When I brought Kirah home, I thought I'd try raw, but as I get home from work very late, my dad was having to feed her and couldn't work it out. Kibble is far easier for him to manage.

I also found on the occasions I was home to feed her, that she started getting VERY picky with her meals. She started turning her nose up at kibble as she was used to having it mixed with something different every day -- everything from raw meat (mince, chicken or diced beef), yoghurt, coconut oil, tuna or mackerel. Now all she gets is kibble and a dollop of yoghurt when I'm home -- dad doesn't give the yoghurt -- and since I've stopped dicking around with her food, she hoovers it down.

Did it occur to you that a possible reason for Missy being sick is because you keep changing her food? Pick something and stick with it; your dog isn't going to know what foods she's missing out on.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura