"missing" Whippet

This afternoon my son said he'd let both Whippets in the house, the dogs had been barking and I'd called to them a few times, then asked my son to let them in as it was getting cold anyway. The problem was, I could find only one. I'd been upstairs cleaning, folding laundry in my room. I did a room by room search- she wasn't downstairs, not upstairs, not in her crate, back upstairs and re checked my bed- not there. Checked the back yard-not there, checked the lounge again and her favourite corner- no where. Back to the yard, she was chasing birds earlier, so she may have gotten through the fence and into the creek, except her coat would have slipped off and it wasn't there.

Frantic, I mobilised the neighbourhood, even nabbed a passsing Mini Schnauzer owner to help with the search and off we went to the creek. I kept screaming her name, and she wasn't appearing. I really thought she'd gone, and we have a major road 500m away.

5 minutes later, my neighbour started yelling to me, (also a Whippet owner) she'd found the "missing" Whippet in my own backyard.

My son says she was scratching on my bedroom door, so she must have found a snuggle spot in the wardrobe. I'd been up to check my bedroom, called her, nothing, not a peep, not a sigh. I never understood those decals that say "Got Whippet?" but now I do.

Anyone else had a scare like this?

Yep, been there. Let Grumpy out in the yard, was gone around half a minute, then went back outside. Couldn't see him so I got a torch. No Grumpy. Checked the gates: locked. Checked the garage and the shed: shut and unable to be opened by even the most cunning of wheaten terriers. Called and called and called, no answer. By this stage I was in a bit of a panic. I ran inside to throw on my shoes and there he was.

Snoring, sound asleep on my bed.

I had a similar experience about a year ago with one of my whippets, Elliot.

After searching high and low, I discovered I'd locked him in the shed. :o

We were both pretty happy to see each other.

I told him he could have barked when I'd been out calling his name a million times. :laugh: Would have saved me the panic.

Yep same here, didn't realize Joey had followed me into the garage. I ended up closing him in there. 20 min later I was wondering where he was as he normally sniffs around the kitchen when I'm cooking. Started looking for him and he was no where to be found. Opened the door to the garage and there he was waiting to be let back in. :laugh:

I've done a similar thing only to find them in the bottom of the freshly tumble dried laundry!

:rofl: awwwww....

I had a similar experience about a year ago with one of my whippets, Elliot.

After searching high and low, I discovered I'd locked him in the shed. :o

We were both pretty happy to see each other.

I told him he could have barked when I'd been out calling his name a million times. :laugh: Would have saved me the panic.

My first dog used to go hunt for mice in the sheds while my Mum was feeding the horses - she got locked in them so often we had to teach her a "speak" command just so we'd know which shed she was in! :o

Yes my flatmate lost my ridgyx many years ago while I was at work.He was frantically running around calling his name,up and down the street,down to the beach all the time thinking to himself...she's going to kill me.After giving up on searching on foot he decided to jump in the car and go for a drive and guess who was perched up in the front seat :laugh: The funniest bit was when my flatmate was telling me what happened he said "He was sitting in the car the whole time watching me, why didn't he answer me?"

I am so glad I'm not the only one.

The other thing I realised last night is that I'd asked people to look for a Whippet wearing a purple coat, but she had the reverse side showing which was pink. I wonder if I missed her because I was looking for a purple "bundle"? She keeps rolling her eyes at me this morning, as if to say "Can you see me now?"

When my son and his wife bought a house, DH was there quite a bit working on it. One night the wife called to say she couldn't find the cat. She was very pregnant and had spent all afternoon searching the neighbourhood for cat.

After a while, DH rang back and suggested they look in the roof space.

Yep - cat had climbed ladder and joined him up there while he was busy working and he had not noticed.

My brother accidentally left the back door open for a few minutes and then panicked because he couldn't find their Pom pup. Had the whole neighbourhood searching for him, went out in his car for an hour searching. Eventually he admitted defeat and went home trying to figure out how he was going to tell his fiancé he'd lost the puppy he'd proposed to her with a week earlier.

Came home to the puppy sleeping soundly in a basket of laundry.

It's happened a few times here. One of the scariest would of been when Jack was hanging around the front door and then I couldn't find Takoda. I felt so sick with worry. :(

I asked Jack over and over again did he open the front door and accidently let her out. He kept saying "No". I checked the laundry thinking she was out there hunting mice. Nope. Nowhere to be found. I ran out the front and looked up and down the street yelling "Takoda, Takoda". It was dark so I ran inside to grab the car keys ready to search the streets and as I did thought I would just check the spare room, not that anyone had been in there. Sure as houses there she was... little biggar didn't even bother or attempt to scratch at the door when I was calling for her. Talk about heart attack. I felt so so relieved though when I found her. Turns out, Bailey, my Son, had been in the room and left her in there when he came back out. :o

Then just the other week I went out to say goodnight to the doggies before bed and one was missing. Luki. I called and called and searched the yard high and low, but there was no sign of him.

I went back to the garage where the other 2 were sleeping and looked again. No, not there. I thought 'Oh no, he's gone' and went into a panic. I then went around doing a finer search incase he was laying hurt somewhere.

I went over the yard again - no sign of him, then the garage. This time I found him! He was curled up fast asleep in one of the kennels in there. Obviously too warm and comfy to come out when I called him, the little shite. :laugh:

Yeah, we "lost" Angel twice :o Both times we were having parties so people were coming and going. The first time she'd been shut in the garage, it didn't take too long to find her. The second time was a daytime affair and she had tunneled under the deck to keep cool. Took ages to find her cause she knew she wasn't allowed to do that so when we eventually found her she pretended she was stuck so she wouldn't get in trouble! OH was about to dismantle the deck when I made everyone go inside and she came out by herself. Brat :laugh: