Car Sickness

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious too.....

I have a puppy who is getting very car sick each time we go anywhere. It can be a short trip or a longer trip - it doesn't matter.

She had travelled previously - trips of around 2 hours previously with no incident and even had a 3 hour plane flight with no problems.

I have noticed that she has been vomitting only since her final C3 vaccination. Could there be a link?

Do the ginger "travel calm" tablets work? Has anyone tried the seasickness tablets like Quell?

These worked for Rogue, he still drules but no vomiting.. I just make sure I give it too him 1/2 hr before we go out.. For long trips I give him the tablets and also pieces of ginger which he takes for the first part of our trip then he just licks it off our fingers.. He still finds the trip unsettling but not as bad as before, he also now likes the window down.. I think it also depends on the car, in my husbands Ute he is in the back seat but it is rougher than my car and he will sometimes pee, he really doesn't enjoy the trip but in my car he has the whole back as I lay the back seat down so he just relaxes ( well as one can when they don't really enjoy a car trip :-) ..

Good luck car sickness is not nice.

Cures and preventions for travel sickness really depends upon whether the dog is sick owing to stress/anxiety or if it is purely motion sickness/nausea.

These can become related if over time the dog associates one with the other, but in themselves are two totally different reasons for vomiting during travel.

Cures and preventions for travel sickness really depends upon whether the dog is sick owing to stress/anxiety or if it is purely motion sickness/nausea.

These can become related if over time the dog associates one with the other, but in themselves are two totally different reasons for vomiting during travel.

This is what we're still trying to establish, but I think it's the same as mumof4girls, started as motion sickness and that contributed to anxiety

This is what we're still trying to establish, but I think it's the same as mumof4girls, started as motion sickness and that contributed to anxiety

This is where we are with Nova as well - she did suffer car sickness as a baby, and to this day still gets very drooly in the car and hates travelling in it - we're still battling this at 11 months of age, and have tried most things. She no longer vomits (touch wood), but she still stresses herself to the point of nausea about it. She's the only dog we've had with a car sickness problem - yet she is the most outgoing and confident dog in every other way.

My sympathies to all of you struggling with car sickness, it's such a pain to deal with and makes something that should be fun really unpleasant :(

This is where we are with Nova as well - she did suffer car sickness as a baby, and to this day still gets very drooly in the car and hates travelling in it - we're still battling this at 11 months of age, and have tried most things. She no longer vomits (touch wood), but she still stresses herself to the point of nausea about it. She's the only dog we've had with a car sickness problem - yet she is the most outgoing and confident dog in every other way.

My sympathies to all of you struggling with car sickness, it's such a pain to deal with and makes something that should be fun really unpleasant :(

This sounds like Jackson, he is so confident in every other way...until the car is brought into the equation :(

I have actually taken him for a few short drives to the park to play fetch, and he is at the point of jumping in the car, so thats great, I'm waiting for my calming cap to come before I try a longer drive with him again

The problem for us is exacerbated by distance from everything - we're 60km from the closest main town and nearest vet, 100km from obedience training and dog showing - and the roads are windy and hilly, just designed to cause motion sickness. I think I would get pretty darn sick in the back of the car too! :o

The problem for us is exacerbated by distance from everything - we're 60km from the closest main town and nearest vet, 100km from obedience training and dog showing - and the roads are windy and hilly, just designed to cause motion sickness. I think I would get pretty darn sick in the back of the car too! :o

Poor Nova! it really isn't fun for anyone is it...I just hope we can cure Jackson of it, he is still a young fella and we tend to go travelling a lot, as it is poor Jacko gets left with a friend because it isn't worth the stress of bringing him

Well I've managed a number of successful trips to the park, he is even jumping in the car again, today I went to go to the doggy park with him but it wa too busy so I drove to a local oval we frequent to play fetch, all up it was 10-15 minutes of driving, he was a little drooly (wet under the chin) when we stopped but he was still in good spirits and happily jumped in for the drive home

Well I've managed a number of successful trips to the park, he is even jumping in the car again, today I went to go to the doggy park with him but it wa too busy so I drove to a local oval we frequent to play fetch, all up it was 10-15 minutes of driving, he was a little drooly (wet under the chin) when we stopped but he was still in good spirits and happily jumped in for the drive home

Still waiting on my calming cap to arrive from clean run

My little JS was fine travelling in the car until about early December at 5 months old. Then just before Christmas I took him to the vets to get weighed b4 getting his next lot of worm pills.When we got there, about 5 mins in the car, he was all wet down the front & clear drool hanging off his chin. The vet nurse mentioned I try DAP. The only thing that was different was we have a hatch back & the dogs always travel in their crates with the back seats down flat. This time the seats were upright & I put his crate in the "boot".

Every trip in the car from then on he has drooled. I got the DAP spray, didn't work. I then gave him bach flower essences, didn't work. At the agility nationals I bought him a thunder shirt, didn't work. I used a mix of all 3 or 2 of the above, didn't work. I used to just wipe him dry but now he wears a bib. My next step is to try the desensitisation mentioned earlier in this thread.

Will be interested to hear how the calming cap goes GoldenGirl85. It's very disappointing when before all this happened we took him on a couple of trips from Sydney to the Central Coast with no bother. We take our dogs with us a lot & now I weigh up whether to take Panda or leave him at home.

Tried the ginger tablet - didn't work.

Will need to get a couple of baby bibs, cos she manages to get drool all over herself.

Was told to try junket tablets (and old fashioned remedy for car sickness that lots of people swear by). Will give that a go tomorrow.

After trying a number of things, a few drops of peppermint essence applied to the nape of the neck has worked the best for Ella. Added bonus is the dog and car have a nice peppermint smell :D I have never drugged her, I would much rather use natural products.

Finnesse - going to have to try the peppermint essence.

Junket tablet didn't work.

Today though - I had newspaper underneath the vetbed - was soaked when we got there (not wee but drool). Molly wore a babies bib, and Geordie a thundershirt (to keep him covered so his sister's drool didn't end up on him).

She was still sick (no vomit because she doesn't get fed before we travel - just lots of drool and a bit of bile) - but her brother wasn't covered in it this time.

Also wanting to hear how the calming cap goes and will also try the desensitising method mentioned.

My boy also goes through stages with car sickness... he was good for awhile but now we are back to the drooling (fortunately no vomits). I am curious to hear if anyone has tried the veterinary medication for car sickness? I have also trialed dap spray (no response) and thundershirt (I think it helps slightly).