Dry Shampoos , Potato Flour & Wonder Wash

How effective are dry shampoos for cleaning the odd bit of muck off a dog. I also recall something about using potato flour to do the same thing, but where do you buy it & how do you use it???? My girl came inside for bed last night & horrors of horrors, she had been rolling in green kangaroo poo. So I had to soap her neck up & wash it off before her going to bed. Would either of the above mentioned products be good for removing this sort of muck when a shampoo is out of the question. :confused: Or any other ideas....thanks.

Edited by sheena

I used a Plush Puppy instant shampoo on the weekend. It is wet but you don't rinse it out. It did a pretty good job on Poppy's whites which are usually red because of my dirt. It freshened her up in general.

It is this stuff - http://www.plushpuppy.com.au/product.php?productid=26&cat=4&page=1

Do you just lather it in then mop it up with a towel & the dirt comes out with it ??? Why do these BC's always think they look better with green greasy necks :vomit:

I used a Plush Puppy instant shampoo on the weekend. It is wet but you don't rinse it out. It did a pretty good job on Poppy's whites which are usually red because of my dirt. It freshened her up in general.

It is this stuff - http://www.plushpuppy.com.au/product.php?productid=26&cat=4&page=1

Do you just lather it in then mop it up with a towel & the dirt comes out with it ??? Why do these BC's always think they look better with green greasy necks :vomit:

I just sprayed it on and then gave her a good towel dry. Did that a couple of times.

Yes, PP Wonder wash will even take out axle grease, smell and all. You just spray it on and lather, then towel out. If it is a small spot just spray it on a cloth and work in well before using a dry towel to get it out.

Potato flour is magic for wet muddy legs or bellys or pooey pants if they have the runs. Just pack it in, let it dry and brush out with a flat pure bristle brush. It absorbs the muck and brushes out leaving them clean and dry. You can buy it at shows and from pet warehouse type places.

With green roo poo, I would proably try potato flour first and then use PP wonder wash if there was any mark or smell left.

Why do these BC's always think they look better with green greasy necks :vomit:

:laugh: Now that you say that.... I get a lot of BC's in to wash as they've all been out rolling in something stinky. One poor woman has two and she is here a lot!!

I use plain old cornflour from the supermarket.

Method for spot cleaning or an all over 'dry bath' is as follows:

Using a soap free shampoo (or something like Fidos herbal rinse) in some warm water (in a bucket or container) wet a facecloth or thin towel, ring out and rub through dogs coat

(alternately use a spray on like the PP wonder wash and rub in to coat with a damp cloth)

Dry off excess water with a clean towel.

Rub/dust cornfour through damp coat.

Allow a little while to dry (10 - 15 mins or less is usually enough)

Brush out

NOTE: I use the PP wonderwash/cornflour method on legs for show day cleanups. Brings them up nicely, even with icky red mud.

Edited by espinay2

What is green roo poo? Different to just roo poo?

I guess it's green cause the roos have been eating grass. It's sort of like a blacky, greeny, grease & obviously smells wonderful. Sometimes it's bird poo, sometimes it's dingo's urine & sometimes its just plain old cow poo...calf poos is even better. The loveliest one of all is dead goanna. Oh the joys of living on a farm :laugh:

I am off to buy some PP Wonder Wash & some potato flour. Are the actual dry shampoos no good?? Thanks everyone for your feedback. :)

I just sprayed it on and then gave her a good towel dry. Did that a couple of times.

Is this available in stores...do you know? I just went online to order it & it is going to cost almost as much for the postage as it is for the product. :(

Potato flour is magic for wet muddy legs or bellys or pooey pants if they have the runs. Just pack it in, let it dry and brush out with a flat pure bristle brush. It absorbs the muck and brushes out leaving them clean and dry. You can buy it at shows and from pet warehouse type places.

Probably a silly question but is potato flour ok to use on dark coloured dogs?

Yes and not a silly question, that is why we use it on BCs. It is courser than cornflour or chalk and brushes out completely from any coloured coat. I find it cleans but doesn't whiten. If I want to whiten legs at a show I always use chalk.

I'm glad it's not a silly question cause I was about to ask the very same thing :o :laugh:

I use PP waterless shampoo when we are away caravaning & find it really good. I will try potato flour though.

I also want to try chalk but have never used anything like that either. I suppose you apply it buy just packing it on to their legs & chest?

I like to keep their whites really white :)

I'm glad it's not a silly question cause I was about to ask the very same thing :o :laugh:

I use PP waterless shampoo when we are away caravaning & find it really good. I will try potato flour though.

I also want to try chalk but have never used anything like that either. I suppose you apply it buy just packing it on to their legs & chest?

I like to keep their whites really white :)

Where do you buy your PP from??

From memory Sheena I got in online from Petnetwork for around $16 but when I buy it next

time I wont buy the ready to use bottle as it would

work out more ecconomical to but the larger concerntrate quanity. Hope I was of some help :)

Yes and not a silly question, that is why we use it on BCs. It is courser than cornflour or chalk and brushes out completely from any coloured coat. I find it cleans but doesn't whiten. If I want to whiten legs at a show I always use chalk.

Thanks for that :)