Destructo Dog

DobieMum

Ive got a dobie and he shivers and shakes all night. He's not quite a year old. He needs a dog coat, but I've tried quite a few different designs and he chews the front of them and then shrugs out of them. Last night I tried a new idea and put my daughters headlice preventer (tea tree and eucalyptus) and it worked wonderful all night (was seen on him, fine at 5am - at 6am he had chewed the front and slipped out of it). Has anyone got any ideas to make a non destructive (via teeth) front of the coat, so he can wear it? He does need one.

Ive got a dobie and he shivers and shakes all night. He's not quite a year old. He needs a dog coat, but I've tried quite a few different designs and he chews the front of them and then shrugs out of them. Last night I tried a new idea and put my daughters headlice preventer (tea tree and eucalyptus) and it worked wonderful all night (was seen on him, fine at 5am - at 6am he had chewed the front and slipped out of it). Has anyone got any ideas to make a non destructive (via teeth) front of the coat, so he can wear it? He does need one.

A greyhound trainer who I have repaired rugs for has the front sewn together and reinforced with several layers of old elect blanket strips to make the front very thick, that seems to have solved the problem with the greyhounds.

Guest english.ivy

Put a greyhound muzzle on the dog. A wire one would do the trick.

Having a dog sleep with a muzzle on :confused:

There are some horse products that you can apparently use for dogs, I'm thinking of getting them for my Pointer. The name escapes me but head to your local Horseland/Nag Mart and ask them.

I guess some horses chew rugs too?

He's got a warm kennel/dog trailer that he sleeps in and is very content there. It must be a dobie thing, cause my heart girl was a shocker too until she got to about 2 and a 1/2 to 3. Thankyou for all your replies so far, just seeing if there was any different ideas out there.

There are some horse products that you can apparently use for dogs, I'm thinking of getting them for my Pointer. The name escapes me but head to your local Horseland/Nag Mart and ask them.

Why not????? they are light wire and hundreds of dogs wear them to stop them destroying things.

Some of my dogs had to wear them 24/7 to stop them chewing in the dog trailer. :)

Why not????? they are light wire and hundreds of dogs wear them to stop them destroying things.

Some of my dogs had to wear them 24/7 to stop them chewing in the dog trailer. :)

Are the soft plastic ones as effective, or would the dog push it into it's mouth & chew it???? I've thought about getting one for my young fellow to stop him chewing the inside of the car while travelling...or his seatbelt. I was thinking of using a spray.

Are the soft plastic ones as effective, or would the dog push it into it's mouth & chew it???? I've thought about getting one for my young fellow to stop him chewing the inside of the car while travelling...or his seatbelt. I was thinking of using a spray.

Yes, I think they would work fine and they are light to wear also.

I like the wire and plastic ones as they can drink through them.

I usually buy the wire one's as the head piece can always be shortened by twisting the wire a little bit and shortening it to get an excellent fit.

I use one of these on Smooch to stop him licking his leg off a night, they can drink through this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOG-CANINE-PLASTIC-BASKET-DOG-MUZZLE-SIZE-MINI-AVAIL-BLACK-BEIGE-NEW-/110801341251?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item19cc464b43

I use one of these on Smooch to stop him licking his leg off a night, they can drink through this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOG-CANINE-PLASTIC-BASKET-DOG-MUZZLE-SIZE-MINI-AVAIL-BLACK-BEIGE-NEW-/110801341251?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item19cc464b43

That's the one I was thinking of, but thought he might be able to push it into his mouth & chew it.

Pauchel I had the same problem with my dobie boy. I spent so much money on coats. I then went and bought some pjs with the four legs in them. They lasted the longest, 5 days,before he worked out how to chew them off, lol. I gave up after that. I tried to have him inside in a crate but I couldnt as he would bark the place down, moving the crate across the room and eventually destroying my wire crate by bending it all out of shape. In the end I gave up and told him he would have to suffer. He wouldnt leave a blanket or bed in his kennel, it would get dragged out/chewed up, so in the end I stuffed it full of hay/straw and thats all he had. I felt bad because the nights would get into the minuses, but I tried everything (except a muzzle, why didnt I think of that?). I hope you can find a solution for the naughty bugger :)

Hey Kaffy

You made me laugh at least. This is about my 5th dobie and I find they're all like this until they grow up, I just wanted to see if there's any new ideas out there.

I don't want to try the muzzle, only because I have a fence you can see through and I already have people going "Dobermann!!" and walking as far away as they can. If they saw a muzzle on him, they'd really be running away. Thankyou everyone for your comments.

I've repaired his dog coat MIL has plenty of material and a good sewing machine. I made some changes, I sewed the neck totally up, so there's no gaps for him to get into and I took smooch's idea one step further and sewed on some bendable shower curtain wire onto the front to not give him anywhere to bite.

We'll see how we go tonight.

Cheers Shell