Stacking/standing Nightmare

Lol, well Sunday should be interesting, once again I wont be able to go to show training this week, its been nearly 2 months....grrr!!.... Guess I will just have to practice in the laundry... but Gus really could do with the added distraction of other dogs.....His so good running next to me, fantastic at that.... im just worried about him mucking up... I should just slap myself and get over it huh? haha his probably not as bad as I think.

it's better if you practise every day or two then rely on just a weekly thing. And practise everywhere, why would you restrict it to the laundry :confused: Becks has given great advice.

I do practice every day, and sorry I just restrict it to the laundry when its raining, but I do usually practice at our local park... Becks has given great advice, thanks :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show stackers here!!! I just think they are brilliant. Lots of people may disagree but if used properly they can be a marvellous tool, I wouldn't survive without mine, mind you I must pull mine out again my dogs are doing a very similar thing sitting down when the judge has asked for an out and back or triangle and then when I come back to the judge they sit :eek::eek: even tho they haven't really ever been taught to sit :D

Show stackers here!!! I just think they are brilliant. Lots of people may disagree but if used properly they can be a marvellous tool, I wouldn't survive without mine, mind you I must pull mine out again my dogs are doing a very similar thing sitting down when the judge has asked for an out and back or triangle and then when I come back to the judge they sit :eek::eek: even tho they haven't really ever been taught to sit :D

Yes, I was looking at those show stackers!! they look difficult to use, im scared he would fall off..... because Gus is soooooo active and a wriggly bum the command "sit" gets him everywhere in life... just because its been so difficult to keep him from jumping and all the rest so asking him to sit is our best hope.... hahah I didn’t teach "stand" as such for a while mainly because I just forgot its importance being new to owning a show dog and a pup for myself and not my families dog it was a little different and unfortunately i learnt a little late what I had to do...but hopefully with a lot more practice Gus and I will get there...I think Kikopup does a nice standing lesson... I might try her but everyone has been so helpful thanks :)

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Yes, I was looking at those show stackers!! they look difficult to use, im scared he would fall off..... because Gus is soooooo active and a wriggly bum the command "sit" gets him everywhere in life... just because its been so difficult to keep him from jumping and all the rest so asking him to sit is our best hope.... hahah I didn’t teach "stand" as such for a while mainly because I just forgot its importance being new to owning a show dog and a pup for myself and not my families dog it was a little different and unfortunately i learnt a little late what I had to do...but hopefully with a lot more practice Gus and I will get there...I think Kikopup does a nice standing lesson... I might try her but everyone has been so helpful thanks :)

That is part of the purpose of showstackers. They quickly learn that they CAN'T wriggle on them. If you taught "sit" reliably then use the same principles to teach "stand" and you'll be fine. You don't have to lay out the expense of showstackers either. 4 supersized tins of pineapple, beetroot or whatever placed where they can't slide is just as adequate in the short term. :)

That is part of the purpose of showstackers. They quickly learn that they CAN'T wriggle on them. If you taught "sit" reliably then use the same principles to teach "stand" and you'll be fine. You don't have to lay out the expense of showstackers either. 4 supersized tins of pineapple, beetroot or whatever placed where they can't slide is just as adequate in the short term. :)

Ooow, that is a good idea!!.... well stacking phase 1 tonight.... will post photos of our progress haha :)

This is Dallie judging from Westminster you will see the good,bad & often some little things that you can try.It is the worst ring size so making that short time you have is a must

Each dog is different but first off you must have an idea of what you are wanting .

I have never used show stackers ,i prefer to train & encourage that love for the ring.

I do now some that use them with great success but these are also people that do other training as well.

I have seen many dogs trained on them that look so lifeless & terrified to move & still A framing because whilst they may stand still they can still learn bad habits on them unless you encourage them to work on them

I often prefer to stack my big dogs on a table all are trained on one till 10 months plus we have a big mirror

The main thing is videoing yourself & using a mirror/reflective surface .If you can't get to classes askpeople at shows to help some trainers can see one aim & sometimes so variety can work wonders .

Your technique maybe confusing but it sounds like the dog isn't sure so you need to teach free stacking & reward as much as possible ,it is very easy & can be done during playtime with a ball,toy anything instead of saying wait say stand,teach dog to walk in walk back or fix foot ,its about learning to use that lead ,its like a steering wheel for the car ,do the wrong thing & the car will do what you ask

Edited by showdog

Hi,

Im not going to give you any advice,I am brand new to the show ring myself.All of the advice the others have given you is great :)

I just wanted to pop in and share what has been my experience so far. Ive only been in 3 shows so far, and was completely terrified before my first one. But the judges,stewards and ppl at that show were fantastic! They were very welcoming to a newcomer and it didnt matter that I couldnt really stack my dog, I was given some tips and came away having had fun.

My pup was/is a wriggle pot, so I got a set of the show stackers last week and totally love them, I have been able to see & feel what the proper stacked look is from where I am standing with them which I wasnt able to do before, I was using a mirror, but I need all the help I can get :laugh:

Im sure you arent doing as badly as you think, we are always our own worst critic

Just remember above everything else that he is still a puppy and NEEDS to be a puppy. Nobody expects a puppy of that age to be an instant, robotic Best In Show winner.

Give him time and don't be too hard on himself, or YOURSELF.

It is very possible to learn "on the job".......

Just remember above everything else that he is still a puppy and NEEDS to be a puppy. Nobody expects a puppy of that age to be an instant, robotic Best In Show winner.

Give him time and don't be too hard on himself, or YOURSELF.

It is very possible to learn "on the job".......

hahah thats another thing, when Gus first ran i was so impressed.... its like he knew what he had to do and did it, and I was fussing for no reason... but because we are out of practice im no where near as relaxed.... hopefully by saturday I will be more confident....

New show lead came today im so excited!! i think this will help a lot!!

Huston i have a problem :(

Stacking went quite well last night in terms of teaching him to stand still.... but any time I go to put my hands on him or my OH he is just collapsing and rolling on his back and refusing to stand........ legs in air and all.. im not sure what to do here I think im in a bit of a pickle.

Treat it like any other obedience problem. You ask for a stand with Gus being still, you increase the time he can hold the stand, they you add in variables like people walking past him , then touching his head etc. Stop worrying about this weekend, the dog is not going to be perfect and in the the shadow of something new may very well hold still for long enough for the judge to go over him. But you are putting too much pressure on yourself and your dog. This is supposed to be fun. If you really think the dog will throw himself onto his back in the middle of the ring then maybe think about not showing him but still go and practise outside the ring.

ETA I would most likely still show him but that's just me.

Edited by Rebanne

Treat it like any other obedience problem. You ask for a stand with Gus being still, you increase the time he can hold the stand, they you add in variables like people walking past him , then touching his head etc. Stop worrying about this weekend, the dog is not going to be perfect and in the the shadow of something new may very well hold still for long enough for the judge to go over him. But you are putting too much pressure on yourself and your dog. This is supposed to be fun. If you really think the dog will throw himself onto his back in the middle of the ring then maybe think about not showing him but still go and practise outside the ring.

ETA I would most likely still show him but that's just me.

I guess the worst that can happen is a get a few laughs right? no one is going to banish me from the ring :o ... I find shows intimidating!! I really never wanted to take this seriously, was like yea just have fun, laugh at it give him a little exposure, meet some new people, now im being a goose!!...

:D Ok... I will just concentrate on staying still and not worry about his back legs or stacking for now? just make sure he stands nicely with his front legs straight?

That's the idea.

Can you get a friend to go over him? He might be rolling on his back because he thinks daddy has come over for belly rubbings and a game.

Remember, showing is meant to be fun and we have all made a fool of our selves in the ring at some point or had our dogs show us up - there is even a thread on here somewhere where we all told our embarrassing stories!

If it makes you feel any better, anytime i go to stack my pup (now 13 months) at home she throws herself onto her side and then rolls around like an idiot! I gave up practicing with her and just went into the ring and she was perfect. Relax :)

i totally agree with Rebanne :)

If it makes you feel any better, anytime i go to stack my pup (now 13 months) at home she throws herself onto her side and then rolls around like an idiot! I gave up practicing with her and just went into the ring and she was perfect. Relax :)

i totally agree with Rebanne :)

Ow god that makes me feel better!!! because that is Gus... Dalmatian legs and all in the air... I guess im getting a head of myself...standing still is number 1.. then standing still with distractions... then standing still with touching? mmmm ill stop stressing out.. and just be happy with a stand still for a minute haha.

And I'm not sure if his rolling on his belly in a happy way... his looks intimidated, im not sure if something has happened and his scared? Its odd... I hope its just him being silly and nothing more serious that im not aware of.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

The key is you need to be the dogs distraction,you need to be more interesting than the outside world.

If the dog is rolling over then stop using husband dont make it habit.

I would be going over the dog in a non show style fashion,when you walk past just casually run hands over,check the mouth just do a potluck thing & make it no fuss .

Does the dog roll over straight away or only when going over the body ??

Quick question... it says the show starts at 9:00am.... how do I know a schedule for the day....and what ring we are in?

If group judging starts at 9am & the group isn't split then you will have the breeds A>B>C then D before you so it depends on how many of those breeds are entered so i would be there for 8am so you can unpack,walk dog & have a practice

Awww pups are always good for a giggle my male rotti never stood still still doesn't i call him my tap dancer lol move one leg hemoves another i just laugh he'll get there :)

the last pup i took in the ring refused to walk i ended up walking backwards bent over with food infront of pups nose around the ring almost ran out of the ring missed the judge completley lol